Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC) (Sold out...)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 1, 2018 10:29PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The Mint will finally heed my request for a Silver Reverse Proof set. (They almost got the EU set right, but they did it in clad.)

It will be called the 2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set. It's being called that because 2018 is the 50th year of Silver Proof sets from the San Francisco Mint, and this set is a commemorative that.

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC)

It is slated for sale in the Summer of 2018. There will probably be a product limit. 50K would be good, but it's probably going to be much higher. Probably no HHL's if the product limit is high. Price of the 2017 EU set was $3 higher than a regular proof set, so they'll probably price this at $53 to $55...

NOTE: Pricing has been set at $54.95.
NOTE: Sales day set for July 23, 2018.
NOTE: Product limit: 200,000, 10 HHL first day of issue, regardless of sales channel.

It's product number, 18XC, suggest it's a one year set. (The EU set, probably not coincidentally was 17XC.)

The mint posted image:

Comments

• Options
    edited November 1, 2018 10:31PM

Edits and index:

Feb 26, 2018 Price set at $54.95
    June 4, 2018. Mint sets sales date for July 23.
    June 19, 2018 200K Mintage, 10 HHL on first day
    June 28, 2018 Web page updated, images added.
    July 23, 2018 Sales started
    Nov 02, 2018 Sold Out...

• Options
    thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Would be fun if they struck the nickel, cent and NA in silver. Think the sac would look particularly nice.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thevolcanogod said:
    Would be fun if they struck the nickel, cent and NA in silver. Think the sac would look particularly nice.

OMG You took the words right outta my mouth!!! I was just thinking how cool and priceless that would be, to have an actual silver penny, silver NA, and silver nickel. Now THAT would be a set!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 5:08PM

@thevolcanogod said:

Maybe in 2020 we'll see a 75th anniversary silver nickel commemorating the end of WWII.

Oversize mint marks too, just like the 35% silver war nickels (1942 - 1945).

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

Count me in.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah!, uno mas, por favor, I'm in for at least two!
    A year of posting to this thread, yea-ya! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@COCollector said:
    Maybe in 2020 we'll see a 75th anniversary silver nickel commemorating the end of WWII.
    Oversize mint marks too, just like the 35% silver war nickels (1942 - 1945).

Now that would be cool...

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

It'll be cool to see the Roosevelt dime in reverse proof. Again.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found it! :p

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess the price will be more like $59.95 as they are raising prices across the board.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • Options

I'm in...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I will say again, they should do this commemorative set (commemorating silver sets) TOTALLY in silver... and include the ASE as well....How cool would that be?? Heeelllooooo at the Mint.... I know they must monitor this forum.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see what they will do with this one.

----- kj
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2018 7:54AM

It's been announced this set will cost $54.95. Oh, and it's been confirmed that the set will be produced at San Francisco. Just in case there was a question.

A normal silver proof set this year will cost $49.95.

I had written:

Price of the 2017 EU set was $3 higher than a regular proof set, so they'll probably price this at $53 to $55...

Ta da! (sorta)

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

50,000 mintage to be a winner, but by how greedy the mint is it will probably be over 100,000

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next year they should do the set with incuse designs

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next next year they can do them in ultra low relief

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

This set would make a VERY fine handful of pocket coins.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2018 2:27PM

While not a big fan of Reverse Proofs, with a few exceptions, I'll be in for one. I'm an addict, what can I say. No is not possible.

• Options
    edited February 26, 2018 2:56PM

@LanLord said:
    Next year they should do the set with incuse designs

Cool. I'm in. Wouldn't be too hard, either. Nor do I think there's anything in the law to prevent them from doing it. They can't change the design, but nothing about changing the z-axis.

@MsMorrisine said:

Hey, there's an idea! A set of blank, proof planchets! I'd buy a couple!

@MilesWaits said:
    This set would make a VERY fine handful of pocket coins.

Just how many pockets to you have?

(Edit to add other responses...)

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    While not a big fan of Reverse Proofs, with a few exceptions, I'll be in for one. I'm an addict, what can I say. No is not possible.

This is only one of two or three mint products I'm actually interested in this year. I'll buy exclusively in quantities of two since mint shipping will be free for me by that time.

Since I assume mintage will be 200K+, I'll for sure get four, maybe more if I'm in the speculating mood. :D I assume everyone has learned their lesson from last year's set and won't be as stupid this year, but there will probably be those that try...

200K sets will still saturate the market and at twice the price of the enhanced set, will take a while to sell out. Now, if they do something like only mint 50K, then I'm all in. ;)

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

I hear ya, me too...

• Options

Incuse would be fun, ultra low relief made me laugh! Just as long as they don't try painting the next set.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are these still the hottest things in town? ....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

If these are anything like the Enhanced Uncirculated Sets, I'm sure I won't be stocking up on them.

Truth be told, the current US Coin Designs do NOT benefit Enhanced Uncirculated OR Reverse Proof finishes since they really suck. Low Profile always has.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

What ?!

No Gold Set, yet?

• Options

@FullStrike said:
    What ?!

No Gold Set, yet?

Actually, they should do a ruthenium set. It would give them a very different look than any other metal being struck.

• Options

if the mintage is 200,000-there will be no aftermarket on these sets, everyone who wants one will have no problems getting a set. not even sure if I would buy one set at a 200,000 mintage.

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    if the mintage is 200,000-there will be no aftermarket on these sets, everyone who wants one will have no problems getting a set. not even sure if I would buy one set at a 200,000 mintage.

Totally agree. I think they have to hold the mintage at under 50,000 to see much action. MAYBE 100,000. But there's been a lot of collector flight from Mint products in the last 5 years. At 200,000, it will probably sell out, but I doubt there would be much support for pricing beyond issue.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's striking how much Mint sales have declined over the last 3-4 years or so.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinpalice said:

Totally agree. I think they have to hold the mintage at under 50,000 to see much action. MAYBE 100,000. But there's been a lot of collector flight from Mint products in the last 5 years. At 200,000, it will probably sell out, but I doubt there would be much support for pricing beyond issue.

...and if there is no stated mintage...like normal proof sets? This is what I assumed......

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

Similar to our current circulating coinage?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2018 1:41PM

I'm actually surprising myself lately, I AM interested in this Reverse Silver Proof Set. So I suppose I'll go ahead and plan to buy one ... one day.

I know one day I'll run across one, somewhere , hopefully at 50% of issue price. So maybe I'll care enough to pick it up. Maybe not.

No worries, mate. Life goes on.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2018 9:52PM

April, May, June! San Fransisco Mint 2018 Reverse Proof set THE FIRST OF ITS KIND! :*:*:*:*:*

:p:p:p:p:p

This product will be available for sale in Summer 2018.

Is that June or July? :p:p:p:p:p I got my credit card ready!!!!!
    Do we know how many they are going to make? Will this be a Limited mintage? Will there be a high household sales limit?

Will the Mint be issuing their warning to those that take advantage on returns when they can't sell their stock?
    Will the Mint be enforcing this violation with possible fines and or suspension to those vile animal violators!!!!!

I am ready to BUY!!!!! But I need to know when and how many their going to pump out cause I have cases from last years garbage in storage. Worthless garbage I was not able to flip skip!

Then their is the Proof Palladium's how much are those going to be? How many and ect. Ohhhhh my. :#:#:#:#:#

• Options

if the mintage is 50,000 or less, they might actually appreciate, I have a strong feeling the mintage will be 200,000 or more. I will buy a set for 40 dollars off e bay a year from now at that mintage

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

So, will this set have the 1st ever RP 1c, 5c & NA coins?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a silver proof set yearly from the mint as long as the state quarters were the product. After that I stopped. They had dropped their bucket down my well enough. May go for the reverse proof set though if the mintage is fairly low. I like reverse proofs. The one I don't like is the gold buffalo, just doesn't look good to me, but that's just my humble opinion.

• Options

@drei3ree said:
    So, will this set have the 1st ever RP 1c, 5c & NA coins?

Most likely. Last year's enhanced set had all the coins enhanced, so these should all be reverse proof.

But then too, it's the government.... ;)

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next year will be colorized. I just know it.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

I'm in for one... :#

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me too

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

I know it won't happen at $54.95, but I'd really like a US Mint silver Jefferson 5c (that's not 70+ years old)!

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in for one

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

July 23rd

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am on the fence

• Options

Why do they switch their sale days??? Everything is usually sold on a Thursday. Once in awhile as with this set, it's on a Monday. I think they did that with the EU Set too.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay I did not read every word of every post but..........Isn't it quite surprising these will be reverse proofs? Have all these denominations been struck in reverse proof in the past?

It states "2018 Silver Reverse Proof Set". Does that it mean it includes the silver issues only? No $1, 1c or 5c are included?

• Options
    edited June 13, 2018 5:21AM

@VanHalen said:
    Okay I did not read every word of every post but..........Isn't it quite surprising these will be reverse proofs? Have all these denominations been struck in reverse proof in the past?

Only the dime in the March of Dimes set and the Kennedy in the 50th set. (Were there any others?)

It states "2018 Silver Reverse Proof Set". Does that it mean it includes the silver issues only? No $1, 1c or 5c are included?

I suspect it will be similar to the EU set last year. It'll be the same as a silver proof set, except in reverse proof. (Last year's EU set was a regular proof set, except with an EU finish.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file