Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone publish a list of most popular coin sets?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just Googled it and a lot of stuff came up, but nothing like a list.
Dunno who would know but it would be interesting to know any real ranking. :)

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2017 5:15AM

This might be an interesting question for membership speculation. In the old days (1960s), Lincoln Cents would have topped the list followed perhaps by Indian Cents for the more advanced collectors. Today Morgan Dollars are up there along iwth the Lincoln Cents, but State Quarters would have to be at the top of list, at least until a few years ago. Now they are drug on the market with many of the many rolls that were set aside headed for the bank.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

While they're not what I collect, I am lately drawn to discussions of Buffalo nickels.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2017 6:20AM

I think you could get a pretty good idea with US coins by tallying the number of registry sets of each type.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

'Most popular'?? Is that a question to determine what may be a good investment area? If so, tastes change. The herd mentality in coin collecting is strong, and trends develop, then vanish - sometimes in a short period of time. Personally, I have always avoided the 'hot coin of the month' rush.... I just collect what interests me. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

The bottom portion of the list may be the most interesting.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll tell you it isn’t 3c nickels

• Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

The number of registry sets will give you good idea of what is being collected.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/

• Options

@ricko said:
    'Most popular'?? Is that a question to determine what may be a good investment area? If so, tastes change. The herd mentality in coin collecting is strong, and trends develop, then vanish - sometimes in a short period of time. Personally, I have always avoided the 'hot coin of the month' rush.... I just collect what interests me. Cheers, RickO

Nope. Not at all. If I can make it clearer, I'd just like to know the ratings on POPULARITY for collecting.
    Like we KNOW Lincoln Cents are more widely collected than 2c pieces.

Just idle curiosity on a Sunday morning.

Making a guess, I'd think album publishers and wholesalers could give a better number than registry sets or inventories.

??????????

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@ricko said:

Nope. Not at all. If I can make it clearer, I'd just like to know the ratings on POPULARITY for collecting.

Making a guess, I'd think album publishers and wholesalers could give a better number than registry sets or inventories.

??????????

True.....not all collections are in the Registry. Probably less than 1 %.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any source you use it is only going to be a sample. I would wager the registry set sample would give an indication of the more serious and more heavily invested sector!

@DIMEMAN said:

@topstuf said:

@ricko said:

??????????

True.....not all collections are in the Registry. Probably less than 1 %.

• Options

I don't want to poll advanced collectors. I just wanna know (at any level of involvement) what series is collected by the public.
    No investment, just collecting for fun.
    Yes, at least enough interest to organize the coins and consider them a
    "collection", but not necessarily to get them graded.

I think Google is right that there ISN'T any list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file