Home Sports Talk

The $10,000,000 head coach gets his butt kicked in Orlando.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 1, 2020 2:35PM in Sports Talk

May fall off the top 25 this week!

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did he play? PSU got some nice revenge for last year when Michigan won 49-10. I don't think they forgot. Nice win for the Nitney Lions. They were impressive and the better team. No shame in that

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Did he play?

m

Not a down, though he is paid $700,000 per game. Meanwhile the fellows that are getting their heads smashed earn bubkis.

Hope he loses a few more games and gets canned.

edited October 21, 2017 9:42PM

So this was your gateway to continue your protesting players not getting paid and Harbaugh bashing in one fell swoop. Got it. It's not his fault that all college kids don't get paid. I'm fine if they did. He's an easy target but an excellent coach. I don't get worked up too much on losses when it involves 18-21 year old kids.

People earn what they can and get replaced all the time. It's the American way. He will always have a coaching job ready for him whether it's at Michigan, the NFL or even high school for fun. Lord knows he doesn't need the money

The football program is a cash cow. They will always pay someone 6-10 million to coach it if that is what it takes. That's the going rate

As an alumni who still writes checks I'm more then ok with him. He represents the school well

I'm thrilled for Penn State and hope they run the table. It's a senior rich team and it might be their turn. 'd love to see Alabama and Penn State in the finals

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Collusion is not the American way. NCAA prohibits teams from paying players (Arizona and many other rogue programs got around that). Remove that archaic and primitive rule and let the free market decide what an athlete is worth.

Sorry if that busts your student athlete illusion but cheating these young adults who often come from poverty surroundings, is criminal.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2017 3:05AM

Michigan got a good old fashioned butt whippin. Maybe they should've kept Brady Hoke lol.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:
    Michigan got a good old fashioned butt whippin.

And Ohio State is next.... >:)

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

Who's favored?

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

No one is talking about this. The media keeps apologizing for their darling coach. BL: Harbitch is over rated. He has won nothing and until he does, should not garner any attention.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

Who's favored?

Who cares. What matters is who wins. One of my favorite bible verses says don't boast about what you are going to do, speak of what you have done.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

edited October 22, 2017 7:47AM

@Coinstartled said:
    Collusion is not the American way. NCAA prohibits teams from paying players (Arizona and many other rogue programs got around that). Remove that archaic and primitive rule and let the free market decide what an athlete is worth.

Sorry if that busts your student athlete illusion but cheating these young adults who often come from poverty surroundings, is criminal.

Who said collision is the American way? Certainly not anyone in this thread

I don't care if they pay players

m

edited October 22, 2017 8:16AM

@garnettstyle said:
    Michigan got a good old fashioned butt whippin. Maybe they should've kept Brady Hoke lol.

Maybe OSU should have kept Luke Fickell. Seems to me the last two games they played against real completion they got their heads handed to them and one was at home

mark

edited October 22, 2017 10:11AM

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

m

Only reason Harbaugh is "earning" 8 figures is because his players don't earn a dime.

Schembechler was a Michigan man. Diamond Jim is a mercenary.

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

Maybe OSU should have kept Luke Fickell. Seems to me the last two games they played against real completion they got their heads handed to them and one was at home

mark

Urban is 1-1 against Oklahoma and 5-0 against michigan. I'll take that.

Harbaugh won't last another two years.

edited October 22, 2017 8:38PM

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

m

Only reason Harbaugh is "earning" 8 figures is because his players don't earn a dime.

Schembechler was a Michigan man. Diamond Jim is a mercenary.

You're silly. Bo got paid the going rate for the times and he was paid as an AD. I'm pretty sure he didn't work for free. Harbaugh played college football for free as well as all other players. Coaches make more now then they did in the past just like in all sports.

Harbaugh is a Michigan man.

mark

Once Harbaugh gets that signature win over the Buckeyes (it will happen sooner or later) I would expect his recruiting to improve and his team to join the few elite teams nearly always in the conversation of the final four.

Ralph

edited October 22, 2017 8:33PM

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

mark

This is true. It is also true that when teams try to out skill Ohio State they usually get beat. However when you smash them in the mouth to get physical with them they have struggled the last couple of years. That's how MSU beat them at OSU. That's how Clemson beat them. That's how Oklamoma beat them at OSU. That's how Michigan took them to over time at Ohio State last year. That's how Penn State beat them last year.

mark

Heh....Michigan off the AP top 25.

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

mark

This is true. It is also true that when teams try to out skill Ohio State they usually get beat. However when you smash them in the mouth to get physical with them they have struggled the last couple of years. That's how MSU beat them at OSU. That's how Clemson beat them. That's how Oklamoma beat them at OSU. That's how Michigan took them to over time at Ohio State last year. That's how Penn State beat them last year.

mark

Agree 100%. OSU has terrific talent but needs to toughen up quite a bit.

Ralph

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harbaugh was a great choice and has a great future at Michigan.

Those players on scholarship are essentially getting paid. What do you think 4 years at UM, Northwestern or Stanford costs?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

@coinkat said:

Those players on scholarship are essentially getting paid. What do you think 4 years at UM, Northwestern or Stanford costs?

I put my son through Michigan over 10 years ago out of state tuition. With room and board it was 225k. Today it's 300k.

Great to see you post coinkat!

mark

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

UM is a terrific school... I suppose you were lucky it was not Stanford.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

edited October 31, 2017 4:25PM

@coinkat said:

@coinkat said:

We were living in NYC. He applied to all the usual east coast schools (NYU, BC, BU, GW, GT, Brown etc) and was accepted. Michigan was the only mid west school and he wasn't allowed to apply to Stanford as I thought he might actually get in. Math whiz and social savant. He is a professional gambler now. My money hard at work. He learned to play in college so the 200k+ wasn't a total waste I guess

m

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

@coinkat said:

Those players on scholarship are essentially getting paid. What do you think 4 years at UM, Northwestern or Stanford costs.

5 years for many of them. This is what gets me about the "poor, oppressed, financially exploited college football player" talk. I don't see it. They are being paid. A lot. For something they are eager to do.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

edited November 4, 2017 11:44PM

@garnettstyle said:

What's the word I'm looking for? Can't quite put my finger on it.

m

@ADG said:

@coinkat said:

Those players on scholarship are essentially getting paid. What do you think 4 years at UM, Northwestern or Stanford costs.

5 years for many of them. This is what gets me about the "poor, oppressed, financially exploited college football player" talk. I don't see it. They are being paid. A lot. For something they are eager to do.

They would be even more eager to get their heads smashed into the turf if the NCAA cartel dropped their Neanderthal commandment that players are to remain unpaid.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ADG said:

@coinkat said:

Can they buy a pizza with that scholarship? Would a coach agree to get paid in "scholarship dollars"? No? Then the players aren't getting paid.

Pizza money comes for the golden handshakes.

We love out teams so much that a whole lot of chicanery is overlooked.

Most of the players are getting a benefit but it pales in comparison to what the schools get out of it. I'm not sure how that could be debated, How much should they get as they are not employees I'm not sure of.

m

edited November 4, 2017 11:44PM

@Justacommeman said:
    Most of the players are getting a benefit but it pales in comparison to what the schools get out of it. I'm not sure how that could be debated, How much should they get as they are not employees I'm not sure of.

m

Correct answer is to let the free market sort that out. Don't force the schools to pay players....but allow them to.

It would seem a bit unusual initially, seeing the bidding wars. No different though than the competition for coaches.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

college is already a gigantic scam for most of the students no reason not to screw over football players too :#

edited November 5, 2017 10:43AM

Local school wants $8,000,000 from the state to built a new Vet school.

RichRod is being paid $6,000,000.

Oh! The taxpayers are being told......the head coaches salary is self funded from the sports program. BS.....fire the moron and use the money for the school.

@Coinstartled said:
    Local school wants $8,000,000 from the state to built a new Vet school.

RichRod is being paid $6,000,000.

Oh! The taxpayers are being told......the head coaches salary is self funded from the sports program. BS.....fire the moron and use the money for the school.

Yes but football does drive the revenue so it's true

m

In the aggregate the football revenue would be identical if every multi million dollar head coach was fired and replaced by his top assistant.

This is an amateur game where the allure is the school affiliation not the quality of play. If the same athletes (and coaches) formed an unaffiliated league with the same talent...they would go broke.

@Coinstartled said:
    In the aggregate the football revenue would be identical if every multi million dollar head coach was fired and replaced by his top assistant.

This is an amateur game where the allure is the school affiliation not the quality of play. If the same athletes (and coaches) formed an unaffiliated league with the same talent...they would go broke.

That's so silly

mark

The $300,000 guy is not capable of calling a game played by so called amateurs who will for the most part never make it to the NFL?

Triple A baseball talent wise is equivalent to college football. Please tell me the average managers pay?

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

That's irrelevant. We're talking scholarships here and those don't buy dinner.

edited November 5, 2017 11:59PM

@Coinstartled said:
    The $300,000 guy is not capable of calling a game played by so called amateurs who will for the most part never make it to the NFL?

Triple A baseball talent wise is equivalent to college football. Please tell me the average managers pay?

When's the last time you've ever watched a AAA baseball game on national TV on prime time? Though I have to admit I have enjoyed all the AAA baseball threads in this forum though the years. They are riveting. FWIW the yearly college football legacy thread here is far and away the most popular thread by a large margin.

Your comparison is not even apples to oranges. It's more like apples to marbles. Your comparison is that far off. College football is by all accounts close to a 5 billion dollar industry. The top 10 schools account for more then 1 billion dollars. Of course those schools will pay top dollars to attract the best coaches possible. They have to as it fund most of the other men's and woman's sports minus basketball. Like it or not College football is a business. A big business. ESPN is paying $7.3 billion over 12 years to telecast seven games a year for the CFB series. If they didn't someone else would. Maybe one day people will stop watching and stop attending college games and it will revert back to the 1970's pay scale you are professing. I sincerely doubt it though.

College head coaches are the faces of the university. They are almost always vetted by the alumni. I bet 99% of the people that pay to go to games or watch on TV couldn't tell you who the AD or president of Michigan or Ohio State is. But I betcha 99% of those same people
    who could tell tell you who the head coaches were.

BTW some assistant coaches make more that 1 million dollars a year. I know of two just on one staff. You do realize that the NFL and major college programs compete for the same assistant and head coaches? Colleges have to pay up to retain talent the same as Google or Apple does.

I'll never begrudge anyone who makes as much as someone is willing to pay them. Your rheotric has socialist undertones written all over it.

m

If you are talking about the handful of colleges that do not receive public funding, you are correct. Let them place as many zeros as they wish on the coaches paychecks. In Arizona though, the two highest paid public employees are Sean Miller and Rich Rodriquez coming in at a combined $11,000,000.

You are damn correct that as a voter and a taxpayer I have a say in how the schools are operated and funded. The Board of Regents are elected positions.

I can assure you that the top 50 NCAA football coaches are expendable and replaceable...The OP man Harbaugh is a bust. Let him crawl back to the NFL where real world markets are in play and he can at least attempt to justify his salary.

@Tabe said:

@Coinstartled said:

That's irrelevant. We're talking scholarships here and those don't buy dinner.

I am on your side, Tabe. The vacuum of the good old boy collusion of the NCAA fosters corruption in the form of under the table handouts to the players.

edited November 6, 2017 6:36PM

@Coinstartled said:
    If you are talking about the handful of colleges that do not receive public funding, you are correct. Let them place as many zeros as they wish on the coaches paychecks. In Arizona though, the two highest paid public employees are Sean Miller and Rich Rodriquez coming in at a combined $11,000,000.

You are damn correct that as a voter and a taxpayer I have a say in how the schools are operated and funded. The Board of Regents are elected positions.

I can assure you that the top 50 NCAA football coaches are expendable and replaceable...The OP man Harbaugh is a bust. Let him crawl back to the NFL where real world markets are in play and he can at least attempt to justify his salary.

Mark please make sure you are wearing a hat in the Arizona sun

m

Harbaugh slammed by Wisconsin.

edited November 18, 2017 3:37PM

Too bad he couldn't go in and play when their starting QB got knocked out of the game. With QB 1 and QB 2 out I don't give Michigan much of a chance next week. QB 3 stinks. Now 1-1 against Wisconsin. No shame in that. Wisconsin is a very good team.

With the injury to Speight and the benching of OKorn the best news for Michigan is their freshman QB got to play in 3 games this year to prepare for next. Hopefully he will be back for the Bowl game.

See all doesn't have to be so negative. I love Michigan Football.

m

Eight figure salary to get knocked on your rear by 3 conference opponents.

Next weeks fail should be epic.

I hope you burn a lot of calories with all your negativity. That would be the only positive thing that would come out of it.

mark

edited November 18, 2017 4:03PM

Reason why you don't hand $10,000,000 to a coach is that he cannot control all events on the field of play. Beyond the fact that this team would still have 3 losses with the starting QB in place, handing the salary of 100 educators to a single ex jock is beyond any non hallucinogenic imagination at a publically funded institution.

If "wait till next year" is a suitable salve to placate the taxpayers, then they are idiots.

edited November 18, 2017 5:07PM

First off he doesn't make 10 million or eight figures a year. More embellishment on your part. He is however paid the going rate. The football program is a cash cow. If all the other cash cow schools start playing less the salaries will come down. Until then somebody will be paid.

I disagree with your they've would have lost anyways ( all three games) but injuries are indeed part of the game. It is what it is.

Enjoy yourself. As for me I'm going to go control things I have in my control. Like picking the 300+ limes that are ripe. The tree is a beast.

Urban Meyer needs a raise.

mark

Harbaugh was listed as the country’s highest-paid coach last year thanks to a clause in his contract that gave him an extra $2 million in the form of a life insurance policy. Alabama’s Nick Saban ($11,132,000) and Clemson’s Dabo Swinney ($8,526,800) were both ahead of Harbaugh in 2017.

The full USA Today coaching salary database can be found here.

Below are the salaries of each coach in the Big Ten and where they rank nationally:

Jim Harbaugh, Michigan: $7,004,000 (3rd nationally)
    Urban Meyer, Ohio State: $6,431,240 (4th)

Just as your baseball card is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, a coach is worth what a University is willing to pay to get his services.

Ralph

@Brick said:
    Just as your baseball card is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, a coach is worth what a University is willing to pay to get his services.

Excellant point when condiering a non publically funded school. Michigan is a recipeint of an ample amount of taxpayer dollars. I believe that the Supreme Court of the US caps the justices salary at the same rate as the president at $400,000. Restrictions do apply in compensation for public employees.

Commem indicated that the 2nd and third string QB's were not nearly as good as the first string player, yet the compensation of the three is identical at food, athletic gear and a scholarship. Why would that be Brick, in your college football is a beacon of Capitalism logic?

edited November 18, 2017 6:27PM

Thank goodness for the Football programs. Money well spent. I know Michigan's athletic 2018 budget is 182 million in total all sports. Expenses 180 million.

When they have a 7 game home schedule receipts are near 50 million.

Even Purdue makes money.

mark

FOOTBALL REVENUE

1. Michigan $97,149,706

2. Ohio State $86,668,248

3. Penn State $75,527,152

4. Wisconsin $71,220,684

5. Michigan State $69,579,206

6. Nebraska $65,741,822

7. Iowa $52,498,092

8. Minnesota $49,188,752

9. Northwestern $36,212,907*

10. Indiana $35,520,657

11. Illinois $32,910,979

12. Maryland $30,071,434

13. Rutgers $28,657,722

14. Purdue $18,747,410

FOOTBALL EXPENSES

1. Ohio State $37,479,825

2. Michigan $36,597,583

3. Penn State $35,647,905

4. Michigan State $36,896,168

5. Iowa $31,137,043

6. Wisconsin $30,731,315

7. Nebraska $28,223,705

8. Minnesota $27,656,340

9. Rutgers $25,174,838

10. Northwestern $24,629,741*

11. Indiana $24,430,110

12. Maryland $20,779,161

13. Illinois $18,432,831

14. Purdue $16,951,809

EXCESS

1. Michigan $60,552,123

2. Ohio State $49,188,423

3. Wisconsin $40,489,369

4. Penn State $39,879,247

5. Nebraska $37,518,117

6. Michigan State $32,683,038

7. Minnesota $21,532,412

8. Iowa $21,361,049

9. Illinois $14,478,148

10. Northwestern $11,583,166*

11. Indiana $11,090,547

12. Maryland $9,292,273

13. Rutgers $3,482,884

14. Purdue $1,795,601