Home U.S. Coin Forum

How important is the US Mint Box, OGP & COA for slabbed coin?

ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it important to purchase it on the side to match your slabbed coin? Will my slabbed coin worth more if I have the OGP? I don't have too much storage space for those bulky boxes but could not decide if this necessary for slabbed coin collectors.

Comments

  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2017 8:27PM

    Original government packaging packaging NOT important at all if the piece has been gotten into the proper TPG slab. A very few might want the OGP, but most won't.

    Someday spellchecker is going to mutate to the nth degree and destroy not just the Internet but all modern electronic technology. I despise spellchecker.

  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

    Not very from what I've seen. Some sellers I noticed recently keep only the COA.

    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

    Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not really, to me, it Takes up too much space and adds unneeded cost. Throw it in snap tight, add a Little bubble wrap and I'm good.


    eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It is not at all important for me with the modern US mint stuff - commemorative dollars, etc. It is a storage nightmare.

    Interestingly, the original packaging is very desirable for the classic commems and early mint sets. I wonder if that will be the case with the moderns in 50-75 years? An interesting question to ponder.

    Jeff

  • callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭

    Zero importance to me, takes up way too much space. And even if 90% of the packaging were thrown away, the remaining 10% saved is still a lot saved, so I doubt they will ever be worth much.

  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Zero - not important at all.

    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    In general, it is not important once the coin is slabbed. If you are not slabbing, then it is a good sales support item if you plan to sell in the future. Cheers, RickO

  • Morpheus1967Morpheus1967 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

    I used to keep all that stuff, and as stated above, storage becomes a real issue. The only packaging I am currently keeping is for my Disney coins from Niue, because I feel they actually add value to the collection, and the price differences I have seen on ebay with and without the packaging bears this out.

  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would think it's of moderate importance if it's the really nice packaging, like the 09 UHR

  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It's important only if you're selling the coin raw.

  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It's important to me !!!

    Timbuk3
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Timbuk3 said:
    It's important to me !!!

    Me too...

    ~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file