Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I hear strike thru's on Morgan's aren't that uncommon. Edited: Photos added that can be enlarged.

affordafford Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 7, 2017 9:20AM in U.S. Coin Forum

to occur on just one side of the coin or has anyone ever seen it happening on both sides of the coin?

Comments

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Useless with out pics

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

The question is too vague. Sawdust strike-thrus can occur on both sides of the coin. Other strike-thrus tend to occur on only one side.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

Are those an Ebay seller pics? Shot from 10 feet away ;)

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struck through Morgan's are certainly available but not common. I have seen at least a handful that were impacted on both sides. heritage archives are good source to research.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Double sided wood dust or grease is somewhat common, relatively. But something like a wrap around wire or othet large debris is extremely rare.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not seeing any pictures here. Anyway, if the word ONE is partially missing, I'd guess it's a filled die. They're not super common, but they're not rare, either. They tend to show up on 1921 coins. The grease-filled dies that are particularly desirable are either those where more than half of one side is taken out or those with neatly removed letters, especially mint marks, from the coins. There are some "In God We rust" or "... trut" coins people will pay up for. Missing mint marks I can think of exist for 1893-CC VAM 4 (one of the Cs), 1921-D VAM 1B, 1921-S VAM 6B, and 1921-S VAM 9A. These used to be cataloged as individual VAMs, but this practice was stopped, as they are striking errors, and not die varieties. Any new ones earn a footnote in the listings on VAMWorld saying that a filled die is known.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have any struck through Morgan, however, I would surmise that only a hard substance could cause a deformation on the opposite side... such as a screw or nail....soft material, such as wood or cloth would likely not produce any thing on the opposing surface. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@afford said:
    I just don't understand how a strike thru on the obj, which appears to be from a piece of wood or metal and not from grease can effect the reverse where on the reverse it affected just the lower half of "ONE"? But then I know nothing about Morgans so what I think is meaningless here.

It was probably wood and wood can compress during the strike causing the devices on the opposite side to partially form instead of fully form with an incompressable material like grease

The more you VAM..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file