Home U.S. Coin Forum

Yesterday I rescued a 76 year old gentleman named Jeff, and feel dam good about it.

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 1941 Jefferson nickel that is. He was lying face down in a Target parking lot. He will suffer no more the abuse of the elements nor the disrespect of being stepped on and run over by an errant red Target cart.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is a reflection of inflation and the state of our National economy that people drop change on the ground and don't pick it up. I always get questioned whenever I'm with somebody and bend to pick up loose coins, even a single Cent. my standard answer is that if I do that 99 more time I'll have a dollar.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here, if I see a coin on the floor in the store or in the parking lot I always pick it up.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always pick up coins in parking lots or on the floor of stores... I just do not believe in throwing money away or ignoring a loose coin.... Over the years, the coins I have picked up surely amount to a fair amount of dollars... That being said, it was never out of need that I retrieved coins... just makes no sense to leave them. I do, however, draw the line at retrieving them from urinals... :D:D Cheers, RickO

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

So by that logic, it takes no more bending or risking your livelihood by stooping for a $100 bill than a cent, correct? I once stooped to pick up an envelope full of cash at a gas station, and luckily the person that dropped it was still in the store and because I picked it up, they got it back. Was it worth it? I think it was... to THEM! I pick up many interesting objects from the ground, and have found not only cash, but many other lost and misplaced objects- some of obvious value.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    it is a reflection of inflation and the state of our National economy that people drop change on the ground and don't pick it up. I always get questioned whenever I'm with somebody and bend to pick up loose coins, even a single Cent. my standard answer is that if I do that 99 more time I'll have a dollar.

Or if you're Warren Buffett it's most likely the start of your next billion.

If one is a coin collector it makes a perfect excuse even if in reality the picker upper is a tightwad skinflint.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you, I would have done the same.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

i used to have really high standards...but, over time i lowered them (a little) and discovered i had a lot more fun! ;)

so, yes...i tend to pick stuff up off the ground a lot, including some cents. but the urinal? no. certainly not for a cent. now, if there was a half eagle in there, then, you can be sure i would be picking that out.

they say it's good for the skin?

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

It takes a coin collector to appreciate the fact that the elderly should be treated with greater dignity.

Jeff deserves better than to die in a Walmart parking lot after surviving 76 years.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Steps are valued on Jefferson nickels.

Do I get credit for the "set up"?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file