Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gonna have to check my 39's

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen one of either date with the die crack.

One small correction...the die crack comes off of the dome of Monticello, not Jefferson's skull.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link.

Larry

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2017 12:56AM

Interesting how this person made 1.5 cents per nickel profit according to one article. With all effort and expenses thats not much. What was his occupation. Wonder why he did not make .quarter or half instead much easier to dispose of . How did he get rid of the large quantity he made?

Guess his downfall was not putting the mintmark on war nickel and not doing a second of research and for that got 3 years in jail + 3 more when judge heard he was going to counterfeit $5 bill.

https://www.blackcatmining.com/henning-counterfeit-nickel-alaskan-jade.cfm

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ceeerrrrrrapppp now I gotta check all my 1939s.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Henning had a vending machine route. He simply mixed his coins in.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Jersey boy, I really like these "coins," which have been included in the red book for years. Funny, when I was a kid we were warned to look out for the 1944 missing nickel as it was a worthless fake. Now, it is a sought after prize.
    According to some, Henning really pissed off the judge when asked asked to explain why he needed to counterfeit these coins.
    His answer?
    "To pay for the counterfeiting equipment."
    The judge's response was classic, "Sir, what a terrible waste of talent you are!"

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had always heard that he lost a little money per coin made, but that may have been factoring in the cost of the equipment.

He bought his planchets ready made, which is how the Secret Service tracked him down. As such, they should have been of the proper weight if he specified 5.0 grams from the supplier.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have looked for one of these... in change... for years...have never found one. To me, not worth purchasing, but would be a real thrill to find in change. I only have a couple of counterfeit coins (a Morgan, gold plated V nickel and a Carolus), but find them mildly intriguing. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

I paid $1 for one of the 1944 no mint mark pieces at a Hacketstown, NJ coin show many years ago. I figured I could afford that.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a type collection of the Henning nickels, I just don't have the 1939 so far.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ambro51 said:
    Henning had a vending machine route. He simply mixed his coins in.

I find these coins collectable because they have a good story, and a well documented following.

Mixed his coins in........................smart guy, that Henning.

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2017 2:33AM

x

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are any of you aware of the purported Monroe counterfeit nickel ring of 1935 by George and Louis Ehlers and Leo Gailie. Here is the original report filed in the OSWEGO PALLADIUM-TIMES. MONDAY. MARCH 4, 1935. I have researched this for years and after being sent three different places by Treasury Dept, ending at NARA which never answered my request for documents. Perhaps it never happened, but there are numerous newspaper reports in this regard. I researched this along with another forum member in 2009 but came to an end using the FOIA and being sent to 4 different offices of which the last NARA never responded. Not being a researcher all facts were spending most of my spare time to no avail. Here is the Oswego News report. I have kept all the FOIA letters and City Courthouse records and many other related documents of this Morgan Counterfeit Nickel as it became called. Interesting read.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting! Thanks for posting this. I had never heard the story

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file