Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Deleted

JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2, 2017 3:30PM in U.S. Coin Forum

.

Comments

  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2017 11:38AM

    If it were a 1944, I would find a way to live with it ;)

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Time will tell

    Steve

    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The copper plating is very thin, and the zinc under it is very reactive as a metal, so yes. There is greater chance of those coins going bad than any of the classic coinage metals, copper, silver and gold. Even nickel is more stable than zinc.

    This issue came up recently on a guess the grade string about the 1983 doubled die reverse cent.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If only the mint would use bronze instead of copper-plated zinc for the one cent pieces in proof sets. I would even consider paying the extra two cents :)

  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

    EOC - that's funny !

    (and I agree)

    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2017 3:47PM

    .

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes, I think many of the Zincolns are ticking time bombs.

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yep.. the zincolns are planned obsolescence .... better save some in a nitrogen filled container for future years... :D;) Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thank the Zinc lobbyists.

    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

    100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have a number of zinc cents that are 50% eaten up - it's not just being dropped in the dirt, but zincers that are dropped in parking lots that are a combination of snow, ice and melting salt go very fast too.

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2017 2:00AM

    Actually, the 1943 steel cents tell you all you need to know about corrosion in even moderately moist environments for the zinc cents today. What percentage of them do you see that have ZERO black spots? Zinc is even worse than the steel.

    If you are young enough, you might consider storing some high grade modern cents in a dry nitrogen atmosphere for 30 years. You will likely have condition rarities down the line...if anyone cares to collect modern cents 30 years from now.

  • Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

    Does this also pertain to proof cents that are already in PCGS holders?

    Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

  • Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2017 8:46PM

    Double post

    Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Tunis said:
    Does this also pertain to proof cents that are already in PCGS holders?

    Yes. PCGS's guarantee excepts environmental deterioration in the slab.

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Tunis - I am assuming you are referring to the Zinc proof coins.

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2017 9:37PM

    @jmlanzaf said:
    Actually, the 1944 steel cents tell you all you need to know about corrosion in even moderately moist environments for the zinc cents today. What percentage of them do you see that have ZERO black spots? Zinc is even worse than the steel.

    If you are young enough, you might consider storing some high grade modern cents in a dry nitrogen atmosphere for 30 years. You will likely have condition rarities down the line...if anyone cares to collect modern cents 30 years from now.

    I think you meant 1944 copper cents or 1943 zinc plated steel cents. Steel cents from 1944 are exceptionally rare (maybe 2-3 dozen total), and the sample size would be too limited to base anything on.

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2017 3:47PM

    .

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cameonut2011 said:

    @jmlanzaf said:
    Actually, the 1944 steel cents tell you all you need to know about corrosion in even moderately moist environments for the zinc cents today. What percentage of them do you see that have ZERO black spots? Zinc is even worse than the steel.

    If you are young enough, you might consider storing some high grade modern cents in a dry nitrogen atmosphere for 30 years. You will likely have condition rarities down the line...if anyone cares to collect modern cents 30 years from now.

    I think you meant 1944 copper cents or 1943 zinc plated steel cents. Steel cents from 1944 are exceptionally rare (maybe 2-3 dozen total), and the sample size would be too limited to base anything on.

    sorry, typo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file