Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So what's up w/Columbian halves?

KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 22, 2017 11:28AM in U.S. Coin Forum

There are 2 forumites buying them in BST.
What do they know that some of us don't know?

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a telemarketer on someone similar is about to promote them.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

IDK, never cared for the design. Perhaps they are being "gathered" for a great meltdown to drive the prices up for the existing ones.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they just like them. I think that they do deserve more attention and respect than they get as the first "official" old commemorative. (The people who want the 1848 CAL. quarter eagle to be the commemorative will disagree with that.) They were also connected with a very important World's fair in American history.

Still the mintages were high for a commemorative coin, especially in a series that has been out of favor for a long time. There are also a lot of circulated examples around after the leftovers from the fair were dumped into circulation.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Maybe a telemarketer on someone similar is about to promote them.

Could be. There does seem to be some promotions going on that don't make a lot of sense. Still it makes for a nice story on the "Shop at Home Network," and some people might think that a 2.5 million mintage makes them "rare" when they see the modern mintages that are usually in the billions.

I still remember when one of the "Shop a Home" poeple touted sets of gold plated State Quarters as "a great investment opportunity." Some people will believe anything.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only noticed one of the threads, but that member is specifically buying lowball certified coins for a grading set. That doesn't ring like knowing something that others don't. However, I did not notice the other thread.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps some telemarketer is going to do a "125th anniversary" promotion?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The clock is ticking quickly if you use 1892...perhaps not with 1893!

@CaptHenway said:
    Perhaps some telemarketer is going to do a "125th anniversary" promotion?

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am buying them since I just really like them. I don't want them graded or even that nice, I just want them close to spot. You would be surprised how cheap they are, I have accumulated a decent amount and have yet to pay over $8 per coin, buying all of what I have from dealers.
    I would much rather pay a little more and get the Columbian than regular 90%, they seem to be a good buy for being 125 years old.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am the guilty party putting a grading set together. I needed 5 to finish the set and thought I would try to find some graded ones before I had some of my circs graded. BTW I did finish the circ Lafayette grading set. B)B)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always liked the Columbian half... since I would get them from time to time on my paper route as a kid....Was a really different coin then, in a world of WLH's and Franklins...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2017 9:24AM

Three or four years ago the local dealers and flea marketers wanted $15 to $18 for decent Columbian half dollars, but today they will quick sale the same coins at $9.

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

I need an 1892 Columbian, a 1925 Stone Mountain, and a 1918 Illinois for my 7070. Already have a 1982 George Washington.
    And that's all I need.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2X3vVMdh-s

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file