Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is a collection? WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS MEMBERS OF THE FORUM ?

What is a collection? ** **WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS MEMBERS OF THE FORUM ?

The picture shown shows three coins, all perfection being a Sestertius of Septimius Severus hammered out by hand, a** James Ist. Ship Ryal** a hammered coin the future Charles Ist. Of England and a William IIII Crown made by machine.

A collection of coins or any collectable can be one coin, one painting or any collectable.

My son describes the coins he enjoys are those with history, and when you put any one coin on a tray by itself – the coin becomes a ‘stand-alone’ coin, a master-piece. In fact, a catalogue front cover coin.

Value is not the determining factor, ART, history and a story of the provenance of the item, in my case a coin.
The dream is I wish coins could talk and tell their own story since it was made.

LEFT SESTERTIUS

Lucius Septimius Severus Pertinax, was the first African emperor of the Romans. (Born. April 11, 145/146, Leptis Magna, Tripolitania [now in Libya] -died Feb. 4, 211, York, England after reigning for 18 years as Emperor of Rome.
Bronze Sestertius in wonderful condition, a high rarity for such quality 3rd. Cent coin. A portrait with brilliant eye appeal REMARKABLE BROWN MARBLE toning

Petition Crown
The Worlds Most Prestigious and Valuable Silver Coin. Thomas Simon and two Kings of Numismatics together Petition Crown & 1804 $

Comments

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2017 10:51AM

No, a "collection" cannot be one coin.

The dictionary definition of the word "collection" implies a group or grouping.

One coin alone is a "curio", or a "curiosity" or a "legacy" or a "souvenir", but one coin is never a "collection".

Even more likely, one coin alone is the freaking "mistake" that you couldn't get rid of.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

so if I have a collection of 30 coins and sell 29 I don't have a collection until I buy another coin?? that also suggests that in the interim I am not a collector, I am something else. I disagree with that premise.

don't ask me why, but this makes me think of a George Carlin examination of the word CRUMB. he wondered why, if you split a CRUMB in half, you had two CRUMBS instead of two HALF CRUMBS. he never really offered an answer.

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

so if I have a collection of 30 coins and sell 29 I don't have a collection until I buy another coin?? that also suggests that in the interim I am not a collector, I am something else. I disagree with that premise.

don't ask me why, but this makes me think of a George Carlin examination of the word CRUMB. he wondered why, if you split a CRUMB in half, you had two CRUMBS instead of two HALF CRUMBS. he never really offered an answer.

I would contend that you can be a collector even without an active collection.

edited September 22, 2017 12:42PM

that's a good contention.

edited September 22, 2017 1:07PM

@keets said:

I really think my first answer covered keets' hypothetical. The last remaining coin is either a souvenir or what once was, or it is a mistake that you can't get rid of.

But...

If a dog only has one puppy, that dog does not have a "litter".

If a dog had two puppies, it has a litter. If one puppy dies, that dog "had" a litter. If you cut the remaining puppy in half, you don't have a "litter" either.

Somebody wrote a book a few years back "One Coin is Never Enough" or something to that effect. I believe that it explored the psychology of collecting. I can't imagine what percentage of the press run went on the remainder tables, but it must have been very very high.

There is also a difference between a numismatist and a collector, but both must have a coin collection of some sorts.

edited September 22, 2017 1:09PM

@Davideo said:

@keets said:

I would contend that you can be a collector even without an active collection.

What does "active collection" mean? You're parsing the words pretty close there.

You either have zero coins or a bunch of coins.

This topic has been schmoozed here recently anyway.

I've known numismatic bibilophiles who had very few coins, but otherwise I would contend that you can't be a numismatist without a serious grouping of coins, many of which will have a common theme or links. Finally, a numismatist is distinguished from a coin collector by their library.

BillDugan, who anointed you the arbiter of what is and what is not??

you're getting stuck on absolute semantics............................for what purpose??

Words have meanings and English has real subtleties compared to many languages.

What would be the purpose of mentioning George Carlin?

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

A collection is the act of collecting.
    Therefore: I have one coin in my collection is valid.
    But........one coin doth not make a "collection".

I have a headache........................

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2017 2:57PM

The one first coin starts the collection. :)

The one last coin (out of 30 per the example above) ends it. :( Or, might be the start of the next collection. :)

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:

The dictionary definition of the word "collection" implies a group or grouping.

One coin alone is a "curio", or a "curiosity" or a "legacy" or a "souvenir", but one coin is never a "collection".

Even more likely, one coin alone is the freaking "mistake" that you couldn't get rid of.

Collection refers to group, but why can't a group be a group of one? An empty set is still a set?

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boiler78 said:
    Most collections start with one coin.
    Here is my small eagle draped bust quarter collection :) Thankfully I've never been into varieties!

That thing is over the top beautiful!!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've thought about this as well: is your collection all of the coins you have owned or all of the coins you own at the end when you finally decide to sell? If you were to publish a book of your collection, would you include coins you formerly owned or does it only count if you still own them?

Taken to an extreme, if you have $X in coins, sell all of them, and buy one $X coin, then sell that, buy another $X coin, etc. is your collection all of the coins you've owned or just the most recent one? It does end up introducing a delineation between dealers/collectors to some extent (using coins as inventory vs holding them) but if one upgrades coins periodically or sells off a couple to fund other purchases, at what point does replacing all of the organs make the body a new person?

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

And what level collector are you? If you come home at the end of the day and throw all your change into a jar, you're a coin collector. You don't even have to know anything about those coins...just keeping them in a jar makes you a collector. Then one day, you dump them out, count them, and spend them. Value is always subjective. Then you start all over again. If the jar is empty, you're not a collector anymore. If you put in one coin, you're becoming a collector with a starter collection. If you pull out a quarter and start reading about the history of that quarter, you are becoming a numismatist. There really isn't a point / counterpoint here, just a collection of viewpoints to think about.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

A collection can consist of whatever you want it to have, but it must be more than one item by definition.

I'm going outside to argue with a fence post.

@keets said:
    I'm going outside to argue with a fence post.

You can't have a fence with only one post.

:)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect, therefore, I am a collector - and what I have, is my collection. Cheers, RickO

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

A person that temporarily doesn't have a collection may still be a collector but a person who intentionally doesn't have a collection may be a numismatist.

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2017 9:04AM

By definition of collection, yes all you need may be a single coin. But I would consider it a collection of dings and not collection of coins. :p

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

One fencepost doesn't make a fence, so don't take offense. No Cents makes a nickel. Go figure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file