Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Sample Mania - Price Update.

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 19, 2017 9:26AM in U.S. Coin Forum

2 sales this weekend got my attention.

This was advertised as unlisted in the Samples Book and at SampleSlabs.com bringing $260.

This also was advertised as a unlisted sample although it's not clear if this is a sample or not. I just thought it was a cool OGH - would be fun to have this as a pop. 1 coin with 18,453 finer! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sample slabs are a fun way to collect things of value however, the salad bar police will remind you that you're buying the plastic, and they frown upon that.

I've sold a few rare ones on E-Bay. They are more popular than the coins inside.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the time it's cheap entertainment - but every now and then a price realized leaves you shaking your head.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭

The Morgan is interesting. Without it saying "Sample" on it, and with it being included in the pop report, my first thought would have been that it was a circulated coin that somehow got in a Bulk Grading lot and missed the cutoff grade.

Whether sample, bulk reject, or something else, the Pop 1 is definitely cool.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt if the Morgan is a sample. I suspect it is actually part of some sort of coin collecting kit that was marketed in the 1990s.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think the Morgan is a sample, just a cheap slab [not a numerical grade]

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file