Home U.S. Coin Forum

Deleted

JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2, 2017 3:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

.

Comments

  • TLeverageTLeverage Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

    They refer to Class I 1804 Dollars as both "illegal" and "a mistake", neither of which I'm sure apply. They were very much intentionally made at a later date but authorized fully to do so, and were intended as gifts of the government - most nineteenth century patterns could be called "illegal" more than the original 1804 dollars, given that they were made with the intention to turn a profit to the Mint out of the back door.

    Also apparently 30 years is equivalent to a "half a century".

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Do we know where all the Class I Dollars are? And how do they know that all but one Class II dollars were recovered?? Cheers, RickO

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2017 7:42AM

    @TLeverage said:
    They refer to Class I 1804 Dollars as both "illegal" and "a mistake", neither of which I'm sure apply. They were very much intentionally made at a later date but authorized fully to do so, and were intended as gifts of the government - most nineteenth century patterns could be called "illegal" more than the original 1804 dollars, given that they were made with the intention to turn a profit to the Mint out of the back door.

    Also apparently 30 years is equivalent to a "half a century".

    the 50 years refers to the Class II dollars struck in the late 1850s. The "illegal" also refers to the Class II.

    The "mistake" refers to the fact that they thought the dollars truck in 1804 were dated 1804 not 1803.

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ricko said:
    Do we know where all the Class I Dollars are? And how do they know that all but one Class II dollars were recovered?? Cheers, RickO

    At bottom is a complete census of known examples:

    http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/6907

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf ...Thanks for the link.... I should have looked before posting :/ Cheers, RickO

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ricko said:
    @jmlanzaf ...Thanks for the link.... I should have looked before posting :/ Cheers, RickO

    well, it doesn't really answer your question. That's the ones they know about. It's not impossible there are some they don't know about that are lost to history. It's not even clear from what i can gather how many Type I there were because some "extras" were struck by the Mint.

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf ....So very true... and that applies to other 'rarities'.... the '33 Saint and '64D Peace..... They are out there..... Cheers, RickO

  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This is why the 1804 dollar means nothing to me.

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DIMEMAN said:
    This is why the 1804 dollar means nothing to me.

    That and I don't have 3 or 4 million to throw around.

  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @DIMEMAN said:
    This is why the 1804 dollar means nothing to me.

    That and I don't have 3 or 4 million to throw around.

    If I had 3 or 4 million to spend on coins.........it would NOT be on a 1804 dollar....believe me.

  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2017 3:56PM

    .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file