Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The History Channel producer wanted my Egyptian Magic Coin picture for their program

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 15, 2017 8:27AM in U.S. Coin Forum

In 2015 and 2016 I received emails from Community Films, a Minnesota-base television program producer. They stated that they had seen and liked my "The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin" website and requested permission to use an image for a television program entitled "Found" which they were producing for The History Channel. The program was to be about a panel of experts who identify objects which people have found.

Egyptian Magic Coins are exonumia tokens with Egyptian symbols on them. They were manufactured as watch fobs and good luck coins starting around 1900.

Egyptian Magic Coin
Bronze, 32mm, 8.35gm
Obverse: Pharaoh seated on throne surrounded by hieroglyphs
Reverse: Sphinx with pyramids and sunburst behind

This is the image that they wished to use, a variety of the Egyptian Magic Coin with an image of Cleopatra with a bird:

Egyptian Magic Coin - Cleopatra-Bird variety
White metal, 32mm, 10.32gm
Obverse: Cleopatra facing right wearing bird headdress, small bird facing right.
Reverse: Standard Egyptian Magic Coin sphinx, pyramids, and sunburst design.

I gave Community Films permission to use the image by email.

I heard nothing more from Community Films, but on Sunday, September 3, 2017, I was switching channels and saw a coin similar to the one in the illustration.

I checked the TV log and found it was the History Channel program "Found", the episode was number 10 and was entitled "The Importance of Being Urn-est" as another segment was about an urn. The coin was in the first segment.

This was the first showing of the episode and it appeared on The History Channel website for viewing on September 5, 2017.

The episode was about a one-sided coin which had a similar Cleopatra image but no reverse image.

Program segment description

"My mother found a strange little thing over a hundred years ago. I don't think its American, but what is it?"

The program did not mention my website or show the picture from it. They apparently did not need my image.

The program did show a watch fob with an Egyptian Magic Coin:

Watch Fob with Egyptian Magic Coin

I did watch all ten episodes of "Found" and found it to be an interesting show.

Well, so it goes with my brief adventure in television programming.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool. I filmed an episode of Pawn Stars back in January but not sure if it's aired yet as I "cut the cord" recently for DirecTV Now & Sling on Fire Box. A producer saw an item I had on ebay and asked if I'd like to be on the show (with a completely different item). Funny how random things happen huh. Too bad they didn't use your image. I'm sure it would have been neat for you to see on air.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

neat, congrats!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... always wondered how they come up with the items for a show... Seems they search fairly extensively..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2017 11:53AM

Thanks for the interesting post. My guess is that your coin was filmed but simply got edited out at a later point as part of a deleted segment. I was an extra on a TV show a few years ago and in talking to the other extras who worked as extras on a repeated basis their consensus was that about 70% of the time they would not even end up in the final cut, at least to the point of being recognizable. (I guess I got lucky as I ended up in multiple scenes when the show aired and later when the show's Season Four DVD came out I showed up again in the deleted scenes section as well.)

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:
    Cool. I filmed an episode of Pawn Stars back in January but not sure if it's aired yet as I "cut the cord" recently for DirecTV Now & Sling on Fire Box. A producer saw an item I had on ebay and asked if I'd like to be on the show (with a completely different item). Funny how random things happen huh. Too bad they didn't use your image. I'm sure it would have been neat for you to see on air.

Are you allowed to disclose the item or were you bound to secrecy?

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin I used to own was used in a YouTube video. Does that make me a star? B)

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:
    A coin I used to own was used in a YouTube video. Does that make me a star? B)

Leo

No...................................but your name makes you a Zodiac Sign.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file