Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Southern mint documents 1835-1845 available on NNP. 6 volumes approx 2,800 pages.

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 1, 2017 3:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Those interested in background of the Southern branch mints might enjoy browsing through the correspondence of the Secretary of the Treasury with Mint officers regarding these new mints. The documents date between July 5, 1835 and December 29, 1839. They are in volumes 1 through 4 of NARA RG104, Entry 216 totaling about 1,500 pages.

All are available for free examination on the Newman Numismatic Portal (NNP) at Washington University in St. Louis

UPDATE: see last post. Approx 2,800 pages, vols 1-6 digitized.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2017 1:22PM

Thanks Rogers. I just bought my first piece of southern branch mint gold yesterday for my type set. Can't wait to dig in further. There's gold in thar hills.....

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Thanks Rogers. I just bought my first piece of southern branch mint gold yesterday for my type set. Can't wait to dig in further. There's gold in thar hills.....

mark

Mark

What gold coin did you pick up and can you post it? I wish I could get a couple more O mint DEs but I am in the process of get everything lined up so my wife and I can leave the concrete jungle and move to a nice but medium sized home. Gold coins get in your blood and there is no cure.

I want a AY 53 or 55 $20 1861 O but they are in no way cheap and a nice one extremely hard to locate. I will get one but it will be awhile.

Congrats on getting a southern branch mint coin.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldgoldlover said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Mark

What gold coin did you pick up and can you post it? I wish I could get a couple more O mint DEs but I am in the process of get everything lined up so my wife and I can leave the concrete jungle and move to a nice but medium sized home. Gold coins get in your blood and there is no cure.

I want a AY 53 or 55 $20 1861 O but they are in no way cheap and a nice one extremely hard to locate. I will get one but it will be awhile.

Congrats on getting a southern branch mint coin.

Hiya oldgoldlover

I picked up a 54-D $5.00 piece from DW in 58 CAC for a type set. I need to get it imaged. I'll post after Long Beach. Thanks!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posted on the Newman Portal at https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/archivedetail/520560.

For those interested in the Charlotte Mint, we will be announcing a unique archival document this Sunday in the E-Sylum.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the information Roger.... Busy now, but winter is coming... great time for reading .... Cheers, RickO

• Options

There will be more additions by then.

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

Nice! Does anyone have a link to a collection of correspondence (or other documents) from the Carson City Mint (especially between 1875 and 1877)?

Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options

In NARA most Carson Mint documents are scattered through all the other letters. There are separate volumes or parts of volumes for Carson in Entry 229, Correspondence 1873-1932. Most of these are routine reports with "the good stuff" scattered about.

If you PM me, I can send you a copy of my personal index to NARA that might give you some clues for research.

• Options

NARA RG104, Entry 216, Volume 5 has been added - another 475 pages of branch mint documents - New Orleans, Charlotte, and Dahlonega.

• Options
    edited September 1, 2017 3:16PM

Volumes 1 through 6 of letters relating to the Southern Branch Mints are available on the Newman Numismatic Portal. These cover July 5, 1834 through April 23, 1845, with occasional gaps. Also, some earlier letters are actually in later volumes or scattered among other archival entries.

Nonetheless, these are a very interesting and informative group of documents of special interest to many collectors.

Look for RG104 Entry 216, Vol 1-6

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some good stuff in here. Thanks RogerB!

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2017 3:43AM

Many pages have light pencil annotations that are difficult to read in the posted PDF file. To improve readability do this:
    1. extract or copy the PDF page to your PC.
    2. in Acrobat (or similar) select Save As JEPG (or TIFF).
    3. open the image file in Photoshop (or similar)
    4. adjust contrast and tonal range to enhance the pencil text.

Here's a sample -- Before, black 0 and white 255:

After, black set to 158 and white to 212:

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

oldgoldlover - Your quest for a nice 1861-O $20 may take quite a bit of searching. Good luck! It took me "halfway to forever".

Craig

• Options
    edited September 3, 2017 10:48AM

Just to add -- the process outlined above works for any PDF or image file. (Actually, all PDFs are just images embedded in a wrapper.)

PS: Very nice EF example of 1851-O...even wear and abrasions with nothing objectionable. Congrats!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file