Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP on SB: 1740 Dutch Medal Invention of Typography

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 4, 2017 9:09PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Bought this completely out of theme due to the cool theme and engraving.

1740, Netherlands, Haarlem. Sliver Medal. 55.7 mm. 54.61gr. VanLoon-147. Jehne 13. By Niklaas van Swinderen. Silver Medal, commemorating the 300 year anniversary for the invention of Typography by Dutch inventor Laurens Coster. Obv: Bust of Coster, three-quarter face to left, with cap on his head and official collar of fur over his shoulders, placed on a pedestal bearing the words "Alter Cadmus" [Cadmus taught the Greeks to use written characters]. surrounded by books, a lamp, an ouroboros, a laurel wreath, and a printing press. Obverse Legend:LAUR[entius] I[ohannes] COSTERUS CONS[ul] HARLEM[ensis] TYPOGR[aphiæ] INVENT[or] AD AN[num] MCCCCXL [Laurence John Coser, the Inventor of Typography, about the year 1440] Rev: The arms of the city of Haarlem, supported by two lions and resting upon Roman fasces, emblems of justice; and upon palm and laurl boughs, denoting power, honor, and success. In the background is the city, with the famous church, over which "Fama" a winged figure is announcing, by sound of trumpet, to all Europe that she holds the first printed book in her hand. Near the bottom of the arms are the letters "N.V.S.F." in small characters for "Nicholas Van Schwindern, fecit. Reverse Legend: HINC TOTUM SPARGUNTUR IN ORBEM LITERÆ [From this place letters are diffused through the whole world] / Per tria secula . MDCCXL [After three centuries. 1740]. Coster is sometimes credited with the invention of moveable type, but most give that honor to Johannes Gutenberg, working in Germany in the same time period. A very attractive medal, struck in pleasing high-relief with deep pearl-gray toning which exhibits hints of multi-color iridescence on both sides. Jehne states this medal was issued in both silver and tin. PCGS SP-63.

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much more spectacular than the two I have commemorating the event!

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Wow, amazing amount of detail on a wonderful looking medal

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome medal! :love::+1:

Of note, movable type was used in the Far East some 400+ years before either Coster or Gutenberg. Funny how history books tend to focus on Western "inventions" like this.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2017 8:32PM

Well beyond my area of interest but an interesting and a bit arcane but wonderfully executed medal commemorating the 300th anniversary of Coster's invention (and coincidentally death) in 1440, I hadn't realized that there was a controversy regarding the inventor of the printing press/movable type. The Coster claim is discussed in a nice Wiki writeup that also illustrates a couple of other medals issued in 1740. The claim is also discussed in passing in the Wiki entry for Gutenberg who seems to have been the first to actually put the new technology to practical use.

Congrats on a great medal and thanks for sharing.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

expanded the write up. Pretty cool symbolism capturing the magnitude of the said invention.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:
    expanded the write up. Pretty cool symbolism capturing the magnitude of the said invention.

Just an awesome medal!! Congrats Zohar.

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!