Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

American Liberty 225th Anniversary Silver Four-Medal Set (17XD)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 31, 2017 2:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Placehold thread for the upcoming 2017 American Liberty Four Silver Medal Set (17XD), posted to the product catalog on July 31, 2017.

On sale Noon, October 19, 2017.
$199.95
Mintage Limit: 50,000
Product Limit: 50,000
Household Order Limit: 2

2017 American Liberty Four Silver Medal Set (17XD)

Comments

• Options
    edited November 21, 2017 2:32PM

Thread updates...

August 3, 2017: Images added.

September 11, 2017: Price set at $199.95.

September 12, 2017: NGC Special Label.

September 14, 2017 : 50K Mintage/2 HHL.

October 17, 2017: NGC announces special label for this set.

October 19, 2017 Sales begin

October 20, 2017 HHL's lifted

October 20, 2017 Coin World reports 16,794 sold first day...

American Liberty 225th Anniversary Silver Four-Medal Set (17XD)
    DateNumber soldNet IncreaseComment
    10/20/201716,794CW Report - First day sales
    10/22/201722,64822,648HHL Lifted 10/21
    10/29/201725,7403,092
    11/5/201726,276536
    11/12/201726,389113
    11/19/201726,974585
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

No guts Mint. I hate when they wait until a week or two before the release to get their act together. It's not like silver will triple in a few months

Grow a pair...how many...how much?

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once again, I'm in... :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

4-oz of fine silver for 10x melt; and a paltry size medal ? Nope.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did see this earlier today...I managed to snag both 2016 medals in last years fury, and picked up this years offering without undue anxiety so I'm in for this set. Any idea, or, guesses on the mintage? 22,500 should be good! :p

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes....talk about offering up variety. According to Coin World, the four coin set will have a Reverse Proof from Philadelphia, a Proof from San Fransisco, an Uncirculated one from Denver, and an Enhanced Uncirculated Finish from West Point!!! How much do you think they'll charge for this one....I'm guessing $229.00. We'll have to wait 2 days before it's released to see the actual price.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

I bet its $199.99.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

By CoinWeek News Staff ....July 31, 2017

...the 2017 American Liberty four silver medal set goes on sale at noon Eastern Time on October 19. The set includes a laser-frosted Enhanced Uncirculated medal from West Point; a regular Uncirculated medal from Denver; a Proof medal from San Francisco; and a Reverse Proof from Philadelphia. The medals feature a design adapted from the 2017 American Liberty 225th Anniversary of the United States Mint High-Relief Gold Coin, which features an African-American Liberty on the obverse and a flying eagle on the reverse.

http://www.coinweek.com/coins/medals-and-tokens/us-mint-news-american-liberty-silver-medal-set-gets-oct-release-date/

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

the current medal is $60, so i'll go with $240.

• Options

@goldbuffalo said:

Yup but a decent part of that price was for the packaging and booklet.....there won't be four boxes with this one so $I agree with the $229...but wouldn't be surprised if a $199 price showed up.

• Options

@BigA said:

@goldbuffalo said:

Yup but a decent part of that price was for the packaging and booklet.....there won't be four boxes with this one so $I agree with the $229...but wouldn't be surprised if a $199 price showed up.

I predicted $199.95 back on June 1st. (Check the link. :)) I'm still okay with that.

• Options

@PocketArt said:
    Any idea, or, guesses on the mintage? 22,500 should be good! :p

If the preliminary information was true, there'll be 12,500 sets. (You can follow the link to read the info.)

October 14, 2016

Of course, by the time this set goes on sale, they'll have had a year to change their minds...

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

exciting ...as an enhanced finished zinc cent

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the news I have been waiting for as I fall back on the first release.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@PocketArt said:
    Any idea, or, guesses on the mintage? 22,500 should be good! :p

If the preliminary information was true, there'll be 12,500 sets. (You can follow the link to read the info.)

October 14, 2016

Of course, by the time this set goes on sale, they'll have had a year to change their minds...

Man, I hope not 12,500...would prefer a little more slack. I think the 2016's sold out in less than 6 minutes? Was lucky to land both last year, and the 2015 reverse proof prez dollars were no walk in the park...at least the first three issues. I can depend on me...usually; but not on them when it comes to these bottle neck events.

These US mint events should be pre-qualifiers for submarine captains, or, NASA pilots...should get nerves in order. :#

• Options

let the anxiety begin...

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's limited to 12,500 sets you will have a flipper's dream..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll bet the HH order limit will be one per customer.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

@grote15 said:

Well, remember that's what the mint said last October. I doubt they had even test struck the medals at that point. They could go full stupid like with the stand-alone medal, with unlimited everythings.

On the other hand, they're notorious for basing mintage's on previous offerings of the same type. Both AmLib medals last year were 12.5K. And since they don't seem to be tying the medal set to the 225th...

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@grote15 said:

Well, remember that's what the mint said last October. I doubt they had even test struck the medals at that point. They could go full stupid like with the stand-alone medal, with unlimited everythings.

On the other hand, they're notorious for basing mintage's on previous offerings of the same type. Both AmLib medals last year were 12.5K. And since they don't seem to be tying the medal set to the 225th...

Was the HH limit last year 2 of each? I seem to recall that, but not sure. I remember getting a pair of each sets and that the sellout was very quick.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@grote15 said:

Was the HH limit last year 2 of each? I seem to recall that, but not sure. I remember getting a pair of each sets and that the sellout was very quick.

Yep. HHL of 2, sellout in 5 or 6 minutes.

• Options

Looks like a coin, made like a coin, silver like a coin, flips like a ...wait a minute, it's a medal! Who knew the mint could get coin collectors collecting medals too! If these were made from bronze, would there be as much interest?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Four ounces of silver, special finishes, extra fancy packaging.... $249.50.....one per customer... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Images added last night. Packaging pretty much identical to the 4-coin Kennedy set...

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2017 3:02AM

Ho-hum. :|

More mint flypaper for the collector who has to have everything the mint issues, or at least everything the collector can afford. Five or tens years from now we'll be hard pressed to remember that this stuff was ever issued.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

More mint flypaper for the collector who has to have everything the mint issues, or at least everything the collector can afford. Five or tens years from now we'll be hard pressed to remember that this stuff was even issued.

Gosh BillJones. You don't like a modern issue?

What a freakin' surprise! I didn't expect that at all! o:)

• Options

@ricko said:
    Four ounces of silver, special finishes, extra fancy packaging.... $249.50.....one per customer... Cheers, RickO

NOW they limit the number per customer. That's a sure fire sign that the flippers won't be after this offering.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BillJones said:

More mint flypaper for the collector who has to have everything the mint issues, or at least everything the collector can afford. Five or tens years from now we'll be hard pressed to remember that this stuff was even issued.

Oh no you don't! I have all but one of the modern commemative coins, and I have a run of Proof sets from 1950 to date. I collect lots of modern coins despite the fact that many of them are poor buys financially speaking.

I think that the mint is issuing too much stuff, and that buying it all for the sake of completeness is not a wise move.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bullion with mint marks.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BillJones said:

Oh no you don't! I have all but one of the modern commemative coins, and I have a run of Proof sets from 1950 to date. I collect lots of modern coins despite the fact that many of them are poor buys financially speaking.

I think that the mint is issuing too much stuff, and that buying it all for the sake of completeness is not a wise move.

Geez. This thread got buried after the EU sets went back on sale yesterday...

LOL. You bought some of the latest commems and you're complaining about the other mint products... (Nothing against the commems... Wait... Yeah, the commems lately have had pretty poor designs...)

Now, I could create a list of your comments against moderns, but the post would be like, 3 pages. ;)

• Options

@PCGSPhoto said:
    There was a display of these at the ANA. Sorry for the crummy iPhone shot. I just picked up the regular silver medal at the US Mint kiosk for the heck of it.

Thanks for the pic.

Did the EU medal really look like a B&W negative in person? Does the Reverse Proof really make her look like a Terminator?

If this is sold at a $200 price point, I might get one...

• Options

@BillJones said:

@ricko said:

NOW they limit the number per customer. That's a sure fire sign that the flippers won't be after this offering.

No, ricko was fantasizing about the $250 and HHL of one. As usual, the gutless Mint isn't providing details about any of the future releases...

(He could be more correct about the $250 price than I am about the $200 price, though...)

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BillJones said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BillJones said:

Geez. This thread got buried after the EU sets went back on sale yesterday...

LOL. You bought some of the latest commems and you're complaining about the other mint products... (Nothing against the commems... Wait... Yeah, the commems lately have had pretty poor designs...)

Now, I could create a list of your comments against moderns, but the post would be like, 3 pages. ;)

I will make my position really for you, and then you can start complaining about it.

I enjoy collecting some modern coins, but I think that the mint is issuing way too many products these days. There are too many different items offered, and the many finishes (Uncirculated, Proof, reverse Proof, enhanced Uncirculated, burnished) are getting ridiculous. If a collector bought all of this stuff just to keep up with it, he or she would not have any money left for anything else.

The Post Offce Department did the same thing in the 1960s, and that contributed to the sorry state that stamp collecting is in these days. Collectors got tied of having to buy all of the poorly designed, unnecessary and ultimately worthless crap that the Post Office was marketing, and it hurt the hobby badly.

I have long warned collectors about paying too much for some modern coins. Some items are hot when they are first issued and "die" a few months (often) or few years (less often) later. These items almost never regain their high priced speculative values.

I have also warned collectors about paying too much for very high grade certified modern coins. This is tied to "registry fever" - the need to have the "top pop coins" are almost any price to be #1 in the list. You run the risk of losing interest in the hobby when you end up buried in a lot of stuff and lose a great deal of money.

Now I have stated my position. If you think that means that I hate all modern coins, then you should reread what I said in this post and my statements about my modern Proof sets and commemative coins.

• Options

Beautiful set, I'm in for one...

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought 2 of the single silver

they had imperfections, so I returned them.

I will order again, and likely get this set, too.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems expensive to me for 4 oz of silver...I'm guessing a mintage of 225,000

• Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2017 6:37PM

249.99 is my guess.... HH limit of 5

Fat fingers I put 299.99 first should have been 249.99

Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options

I'm still standing firm on my guess of $229.00 The phone shot looks good...
    this is going to be a fancy set that's for sure, I just wish they were coins and not medals.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

At $199 I'll buy one. Nice looking set but I couldn't justify paying more than $200 for it.

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

There's no way they sell 225,000 of these because the earlier silver medal has only sold 40,000. If they do 40,000 sets then that seems appropriate. My guess on the price is $209.95

• Options
    edited August 5, 2017 3:21AM

225k would cement that they would be available for years....I'm now leaning away from my $229 and going with $199

...maybe 22.5k

• Options

$199 and 75k will be made.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

$224.99 / 250,000

• Options
    edited September 11, 2017 6:36AM

Ta-Da! As per the Federal Regster:

The United States Mint is announcing the price of the 2017 American Liberty 225th Anniversary Silver Four-Medal Set. Each set will be priced at $199.95.

Still no mintage or HHL's. Mayber later today.

Link to PDF

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BigA said:

@goldbuffalo said:

I predicted $199.95 back on June 1st. (Check the link. :)) I'm still okay with that.

I just thought I'd throw that in there. Even a broken clock is right twice a day... ;)

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess: 50k

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@BackroadJunkie said

I just thought I'd throw that in there. Even a broken clock is right twice a day... ;)

I guess I agreed with you, now the mintage....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@BackroadJunkie said

I guess I agreed with you, now the mintage....

Well, considering the usual accuracy I have with guesses about the mint, it seemed to be a newsworthy post...

My guess is 100K, sames as the gold AmLib. They could make it 225K, since they were so optimistic about the gold coin sales.

(The gold AmLib stands at 24.5K sold, the stand alone medal is at 44K.)

• Options

I'm in ! :#

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file