Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need help grading 1913-S Buffalo.

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 30, 2017 8:28AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Should I send this one to our hosts?

Any chance of it being higher than ms60? (sorry for the stinkaroo pics).

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the pictures, which are slightly blurry on my laptop, AU58.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pictures don't look blurry to me, but they have been shot at an angle which makes grading only a guess. Given the luster, the coin might have a shot at Mint State. If it is Mint State, the MS-60 grade is rare, so you would probably get something higher than that.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I'd guess MS62 or 63, and it appears to have some attractive tone too.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

MS63

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 1:10PM

With better images you'll get better results as for judging. But with that said it looks pretty good. Locked at 63 from those images. I see no sign of rub . If you look at the reverse at the top, the letters blend into the rim that is absent. It's a bit of a weak strike in the area mentioned but the central regions are quite bold. Nice piece from what I can see of it.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ms63

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures are tricky at best... but I would think a 62 for sure... maybe a 63.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen a lot of early buffalo 62's that look just like that one- I'm in the 62 camp.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a 62 or 3 IMO

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll say 62. But what's with the rim above "UNITED STATES"? Is that typical?

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file