Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dimeman's ST. Louis show report.....UPDATE.

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 21, 2017 10:58AM in U.S. Coin Forum

WOW...what a great show for finding varieties did I have today! I found a Merc. variety at the first table I stopped at and one at the last table. All in all I found 8 Mercury varieties and most were in high grade PCGS holders. I will address these later and do a thread on them as I get pics and info on each.

I also picked up another Baby Bust Dime 1829 that I will do a GTG on later next week.

This was one of my best shows I have had in a long time. :)

Comments

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to go. Busy tomorrow but maybe first thing on Saturday. Good pickin' Dimeman!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't wait to hear what you picked up.
    You've got a good eye my friend. ;)

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got back from Vegas and wish I did as well as you....Congrats on your new additions. Springfield Sunday?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't it a great feeling when a show exceeds your expectations. Can't wait to see the busty.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a very good trip to St Louis...maybe next time...my trip for this year will be at the ANA @ Denver. Looking forward to some images!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN
    Nice seeing you again. Glad to hear you had a good show.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! These types of days are few and way too far in between. Happy for you!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hchcoin said:
    Isn't it a great feeling when a show exceeds your expectations. Can't wait to see the busty.

It's a neat coin....hope I can capture the true look of the coin.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems as if you did extremely well.... were the varieties all attributed? Or were some cherrypicks? Not often one has such a great show.....I remember one like that that I had when living in Seattle... I think it was a PNNA show (might have been the Boeing show though). Found five coins that I was looking for, all at great prices too. Left that show walking tall..... :D Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Seems as if you did extremely well.... were the varieties all attributed? Or were some cherrypicks? Not often one has such a great show.....I remember one like that that I had when living in Seattle... I think it was a PNNA show (might have been the Boeing show though). Found five coins that I was looking for, all at great prices too. Left that show walking tall..... :D Cheers, RickO

They were all cherrypicks. :)

Here is a breakdown of the 8 coins bought at the July STL show.

1939-D RPM-3 Have better
    1940-D RPM-4 Have this is an upgrade
    1941-D RPM-2 Have same grade
    1941-S RPM-4 New
    1942-D RPM-3 New
    1943-D RPM UL
    1943-D RPM UL but different than above

1829 Half Dime which I will do a GTG next week.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats...and no commentary on the 9 run 8th inning the Cardinals had at Wrigley today to snap the Cubs 6 game winning streak?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dimeman, not being critical, just an observation --- it is hard to see this as a "Show Report" when all that is mentioned is Dimes. was anything else going on?? what was the floor activity like?? were there other coins you viewed which were interesting or spectacular?? who did you meet and what were the dealers talking about??

and finally, how many Varieties of Mustard were available at the refreshment stand/cafeteria??

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2017 4:47AM

Totally agree. OP went to a coin show and there were coins there. Gloriana! Unveil the second coming! Alert the President and the Officer carrying the nuclear football! Report does not mention what wines were consumed and what unusual cream and asparagus sauce topped the nightly filet. Insufficient details for this gourmand who happens to collect coins also.

Nice additions DIMEMAN... You are, for the most part, very focused in your collecting. I believe that is what enables you to find the varieties that you post so often. Without that focus, they would be 'just another nice dime'. Two new ones I see... very cool. Cheers, RickO

I would agree with RickO about focus, it is a good thing.............................in coin collecting. in eating it is like being a Steak and Potato guy, way too many good things are missed.

now, go look at some other coins on the show floor!! :):)

• EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didnt realize that you were going for baby dimes. Got to believe it a beaut if you got one. Can't wait to see it. Please share it with us folks. 1829 is the H10 date that I love.

Easton Collection

@keets said:
    Dimeman, not being critical, just an observation --- it is hard to see this as a "Show Report" when all that is mentioned is Dimes. was anything else going on?? what was the floor activity like?? were there other coins you viewed which were interesting or spectacular?? who did you meet and what were the dealers talking about??

and finally, how many Varieties of Mustard were available at the refreshment stand/cafeteria??

Sorry keets - When I go to a "Coin" show it's all about "Coins". ;) And I mostly collect Dimes....so that is what I look for and talk about. I don't go for the sites or food or anything else. I did meet and talk to a lot of dealers I have known for a long time and saw some forum members there. Maybe we will meet sometime...I would like that.

Again...sorry about a Coin Show report that is only about Coins. B)

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I would agree with RickO about focus, it is a good thing.............................in coin collecting. in eating it is like being a Steak and Potato guy, way too many good things are missed.

now, go look at some other coins on the show floor!! :):)

In this case it's more like fish and potatoes since he's using fish lures. ;)

Now when he mentions clad dimes my ears perk up because I'm a sandwich and veggies kindda guy. :)

Tempus fugit.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

(scribble) Taking notes on discussion points for Denver (more scribbling)

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...

Dimeman, you obviously have thin skin and a brief attention span. I mentioned ONLY coin related things until my last you have to be really daff to not know it was a joke remark about mustard. so, at the risk of repeating myself and being as clear as I can, you only provided us with a glimpse of Dimes, I was simply wondering about everything else coin related.

I realize it may be a challenge to read and respond to that simple query, but please try. what was state-of-the-Hobby at the show aside from Dimes???

Keets - I took it as a joke, but you took my response wrong. On other coins I really didn't look at much else but Dimes because I only had the one afternoon and there were a lot of nice Mercury Dimes at this show. When I go to a BIG show like FUN I always look at other stuff like Barber coins and Bust coins of the other denoms.

Sometimes it's hard to get a feel of the "tone" from someone in words...like you can when having a face to face talk.

It's all good. ;):)B)

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2017 12:46PM

So... no actual "show report" available from you then. You have a very limited perspective. Should you happen upon a coin show that has no coins, please report in at that time.

FWIW, I don't think there is a food stand inside the convention/bourse hall at this one. Maybe a convenience stand down the entrance hallway towards the Embassy Suites.

@BillDugan1959 said:
    So... no actual "show report" available from you then. You have a very limited perspective. Should you happen upon a coin show that has no coins, please report in at that time.

FWIW, I don't think there is a food stand inside the convention/bourse hall at this one. Maybe a convenience stand down the entrance hallway towards the Embassy Suites.

I guess I don't know what you want from me. My show report is what I saw and bought. I couldn't care less about food and other attractions. I go to shows to look for Dimes I need. ;)

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

I guess I don't know what you want from me. My show report is what I saw and bought. I couldn't care less about food and other attractions. I go to shows to look for Dimes I need. ;)

I'm sure no one minds your show report no matter what they call it.

Mercs are fun. I collected them myself for many years.

Tempus fugit.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at the show when it opened on Thursday. The most action that I saw was at the concession stand on the bourse floor.

@golden said:
    I was at the show when it opened on Thursday. The most action that I saw was at the concession stand on the bourse floor.

I wish that I had known you were there. We probably passed each other and didn't know it.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@golden said:

I wish that I had known you were there. We probably passed each other and didn't know it.

Yes, we probably did.

edited July 23, 2017 7:17AM

Focus?? Bof us? :D:D:D:D Cheers, RickO

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the report, glad you found so many varieties.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file