Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Pobjoy Mint screws up, issues low mintage Falkland Island coin

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat. Thanks for the heads-up. Just bought one on eBay :)

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2017 10:11AM

Whoops! A modern rarity that likely really was an accident in this case (I get a bit skeptical with the BRM 'mistakes'). So, the question is, how many of the NON-Britannia ones will be minted/sold. THOSE might end up being the rare ones ;).

edited...never mind, I just read the rest of the article. Looks like another 42K+ without. But do they really sell that many????

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, firstly...7,329 coins is not a low mintage coin...these will spark (i.e., flippers galore on eBay) then fizzle as people realize they are nothing special beyond bullion. Just my opinion. To each his/her own.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I think the "screw up" is in the ruling that it violated trademark. "Britannia" is a mythological figure in the public domain, you can't copyright or trademark it.

How about the Bank of England sues the Royal Mint for trademark violation, because the Royal Mint silver coins with Britannia on them are clearly imitations of the dollars the Bank of England put out back in 1804?

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)