Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

[PCGS Update] What do you think of these Toned Roosevelt NEWPS?

KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 1, 2017 4:32PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Edit: New In-Hand Pictures Posted Below

I purchased the '64 a couple of months ago, and still haven't got around to taking good images of it yet and the '64-D should be arriving within the next couple of days. These are the seller's pictures.

Would like to hear your grade opinions as well, I'm thinking about submitting the '64-D mainly for a TrueView.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

First coin is quite attractive.
    Hard to guess a grade--depends on the luster. The coin from the pics appears to be free of marks, and bands are close.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 64-D might be the nicest I have ever seen. Looks like it might go FB too. Its tough from those pics, but I will guess:

1964-D MS67FB
    1964 MS66

I would have them both graded with trueviews for sure.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1964-D is awesome! Congratulations!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1964-D is gorgeous, but not so much for the 1964.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of carbon spots myself. Unfortunately I do have a couple with small spots I had to learn to not see cause of the rest of the coin is so beautiful.
    I like that 64-D the most. Quite lovely.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them!

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

1964 D MS 66+ FB
    1964 P MS 63

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options

@CommemKing said:
    That 64-D might be the nicest I have ever seen. Looks like it might go FB too. Its tough from those pics, but I will guess:

1964-D MS67FB
    1964 MS66

I would have them both graded with trueviews for sure.

Thanks! I don't collect many Roosevelts but loved the '64-D when I first saw it. My initial thought was a 66 and possibly FB, looking forward to seeing it in hand.

@BillJones said:
    The 1964-D is very attractive, but the 1964 has a couple of "carbon spots" which I personally don't like regareless of how the rest of the coin looks.

Thanks Bill, and I appreciate the honesty on the '64. The carbon spots are unfortunate, but for the price I paid for that coin I can live with them.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

The '64-D is a dream. Nice coin and should grade 7FB easily. Wanna sell it?

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge said:
    The '64-D is a dream. Nice coin and should grade 7FB easily. Wanna sell it?

I already told him to mail it to me in another thread. I called dibs! ;)

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@MANOFCOINS said:
    Love 64-d should grade high 67 maybe 67+.
    Can those carbon spots be removed on the 64?

Doesn't look like it.

• Options
    edited July 12, 2017 5:05PM

@coinsarefun said:
    I love the 1964-D, beautiful

Thanks, it seems to be a crowd pleaser.

@MANOFCOINS said:
    Love 64-d should grade high 67 maybe 67+.
    Can those carbon spots be removed on the 64?

They probably could be removed, but I wouldn't want to risk damaging the coin or toning.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

64d has the color folks will kill for. 66 or 66+

cant tell about the band where it meets the right field

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the 64-D. I was watching that coin thinking it was a RPM.....then passed deciding it wasn't.

Nice pick-up.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I really like the 64-D. I was watching that coin thinking it was a RPM.....then passed deciding it wasn't.

Nice pick-up.

Thanks!

Where had you seen the coin before?

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are pretty coins for sure. :)

• Options

@Kyle said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Nice pick-up.

Thanks!

Where had you seen the coin before?

The one I saw was on Ebay.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are common date coins which can be found in roll quantity - hope u got these near melt. The one w spot is a dog.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    These are common date coins which can be found in roll quantity - hope u got these near melt. The one w spot is a dog.

Yep, they're common date coins. It's the toning and grade of the '64-D that really makes it uncommon. Please point me in the direction of someone selling similar looking coins at melt, I'm a buyer!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2017 12:38PM

The 64-D is a $7 coin (gem BU per NN coin market).

If u think it's a 67 send it in - the proof wb in the pudding when u get it graded otherwise it's just speculation.

Where 67 seems to be $44 per CF good luck in finding one who will pay that for this most common issue readily available in BU roll quantities around melt.

Frankly I would prefer a Gem BU example untoned with super luster.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

Just got the '64-D in hand today so I took some pictures of it and the '64.

Besides cropping to get the file size down a bit, these pictures are straight off the camera. No editing.

• Options
    edited July 13, 2017 4:45PM

@Cougar1978 said:

If u think it's a 67 send it in - the proof wb in the pudding when u get it graded otherwise it's just speculation.

Where 67 seems to be $44 per CF good luck in finding one who will pay that for this most common issue readily available in BU roll quantities around melt.

I'm sending the coin out to a member of the forum to have graded, I'll update the thread with the grade again when it's back from PCGS. To be honest, the grade isn't a huge concern for me, a 67 would be nice sure but the main reason I want it slabbed is for the TrueView.

I'm sure there are a few people on here that would gladly pay $44 for the coin raw. Never mind a 67. I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still think the '64-D is at least MS67FB. Awesome coin. There still isn't anything popping out to make be lower my grade guess.
    I'd still say MS66FB. There are a few carbon spots on the obverse, but they aren't too distracting. I would not attempt to remove them. You will only f up the tone on the coin. They probably wont come off anyway.

Send them out to PCGS, get your trueviews, and bask in the beauty of those coins!

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is darn near impossible to buy true BU silver coin rolls at melt.
    Maybe but together with a slider or two in the roll.
    Original bank wrapped rolls from the federal reserve banks NOT!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

@FadeToBlack said:
    Gorgeous. I love that 64-D!

Cougar is just a hater.

Thanks! I don't think the '64 is too shabby either. It photographs beautifully.

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:

The spot doesn't hurt it that bad.

• Options

Nice coins.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are beauties!! The kind of coins I like to hunt for. :)

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Is that a die break on the 64d or a line? That said, I like it. The 64 is meh.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2017 8:41AM

@rainbowroosie said:
    Is that a die break on the 64d or a line? That said, I like it. The 64 is meh.

Near the rim at 4:00 on the obverse?

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

I'm confused. I called the 64 a 64 d. Line is on the lesser coin.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

@rainbowroosie said:
    I'm confused. I called the 64 a 64 d. Line is on the lesser coin.

No worries. Yep, that's a die break next to the carbon spot.

• Options

I had my camera out yesterday photographing a few coins and figured I would try taking some more pics of the '64-D, this time just I flooded the coin with light in order to get the color to really pop. It hasn't gone to PCGS yet, but I'm hoping to have it submitted in September.

• Options

@Kyle said:
    I had my camera out yesterday photographing a few coins and figured I would try taking some more pics of the '64-D, this time just I flooded the coin with light in order to get the color to really pop. It hasn't gone to PCGS yet, but I'm hoping to have it submitted in September.

That is a very pretty dime.

• Options

@mannie gray said:

That is a very pretty dime.

Agreed, it's one of my favorite purchases this year.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 64 is nice but the 64D looks great. It looks like it would grade 66FB, too many hits and marks to grade higher.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

No reason to send the 64-D to PCGS in September when you can just send it to me now. I promise, it will have a nice home and I will take care of that pesky PCGS thing. :)

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicely done

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

gorgeous coin

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options

Good eye!

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done.But like your picture before that better.

• Options

@grip said:
    Well done.But like your picture before that better.

Thanks! I wish the obverse had a bit more light, but they aren't bad. The color on the reverse looks great.

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:

I will give the 44 right now!!!!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 64-D is a $7 coin (gem BU per NN coin market). --- not so, it is now at least a $44 coin per PCGS price guide.

If u think it's a 67 send it in - the proof wb in the pudding when u get it graded otherwise it's just speculation. --- done.

Where 67 seems to be $44 per CF good luck in finding one who will pay that for this most common issue readily available in BU roll quantities around melt. --- done.

Frankly I would prefer a Gem BU example untoned with super luster. --- that would be nice.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, congrats.

but with grading fees you must be about even

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file