Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWP - 1837 10C F-101C - A little apple pie for the 4th of July?

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 30, 2017 10:12AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I picked up a nice dime for my 19th Century Everyman Set and thought that I would share with the forum. The big die cracks around the date look like a piece of pie ready to be served up. Lots of die clash marks as well.

Happy 4th of July (weekend) to everyone!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, and those cracks are very cool!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2017 10:30AM

As I type collector I can tell you from years of experience that this piece might be in the "every man's" grade, but it is hardly an "every man's" coin. The 1837-8 No Stars dime is a very scarce coin, especially in anything above Good condiiton. It is much scarcer than its half dime sister.

When I "finished" my U.S. type set for the "first time" (minus the 1796-7 half dollar) this was the last type coin I needed. It took some effort to find one in AU, which was my target grade.

Your coin is very nice and deserves to be regarded as something more than a "plebeian" in the numismatic world.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an awesome coin, I love the no stars look.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that coin. It is one of the Fortin Top-100 set that I need. I really envy you on this one!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin.... I hope that greenish blue alongside her leg is not PVC.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

outstanding, and the die cracks add a lot of interest.

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

That coin has to be one of the most appealing and attractive Liberty Seated coins I have seen in a very long time. It has everything going for it (well, almost everything - it is, after all a dime and not a half dime). It is an attractive high grade, it has absolutely stunning original toning, it has extensive and interesting die cracks, and is apparently a scarce die marriage to boot. Whether a dime or a half dime, the No Stars design is without question the most beautiful iteration of the series. If that was a half dime I would have been all over that coin. Congratulations on an absolutely gorgeous coin!

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file