Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buffalo RPM......Answered

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 26, 2017 4:06PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Rec'd coin.....It is NOT the RPM. Thanks for all the input. I will continue the search!!

So I've been hunting the unique 1915-S Buffalo 5c RPM-002, FS-502 for many years now. PCGS has never graded one. I have questioned whether or not it truly exists. I have looked at thousands of 1915-S Buffs in my hunt to find one. There is a pick of one in the Cherrypickers guide. They say it may be re-punched 4 or 5 times. It has a distinctive look including a sort of "pole" sticking up on the top of the S. The other day I bought a 1915-S that looks as close to the RPM as I've ever seen. Below I posted a pic from the Cherrypickers guide (Left pic) next to the one I just bought on the right. I do not have the coin in hand yet so this is the best I can do. I should have in hand Monday or so. I lined then up the best I could. What do you guys think of the two pics? I think it has a shot at being the CPG RPM. Opinions???

Comments

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me as of now, when you get it in hand you can take better close-up pix and see the mintmark better.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far I say no. I suspect the "pole" is foreign matter. Carefully clean around the mint mark when you get it. I'f you don't know how, PM me, I do it all the time.

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

From the pics it has definite potential. Mintmark placement and positioning is encouraging.

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheRegulator said:
    From the pics it has definite potential. Mintmark placement and positioning is encouraging.

I concur,

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I can see you most definitely have a shot. Until you get it in hand you won't know for sure.
    Please do keep us posted.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am inclined to say - based on the pictures - that you have found one. Please post pictures when you get it...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mintmark lines up nicely with the Cherrypickers pic. Looks to me like you found it.

Remember, though, varieties like yours don't bring much of a premium to a key coin, because the coin is already rare or scarce in its' own right.

The fun comes from the hunt.

Congrats to you.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see why you think so. You will know when you get it in hand. My biggest concern is the top back of the MM. Yours seems to stick out more than the CPD. The "pole" out of the top is encouraging. Are there any diagnostic marks on the coin that could be compared? This has to be very exciting. I have been chasing several Roosie varieties that so far have not been graded by PCGS. I can't wait to hear your findings on this.

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the pictures, I'd say yes. Looking forward to update.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file