Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Colorado Springs Show Report (with only some damaged and ugly coin pics)

claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

This show is a first for me, and I put this on the bucket list after moving to northern Colorado. My wife and I drove to the show on Thursday, and arrived around 9:00 am. The show venue was easy to find, and had a large "Coin Show" banner easily seen from the road. The outside was industrial looking, but it looks like it was being remodeled. Parking was free and easy. The inside was more visitor friendly, with lots of room aisle spacing. Security was very visible, armed and professional.

I took a roller bag of higher end coins, mid range coins, sub $100 slabs, varities and bullion to sell. There were several well known specialty dealers there, and some very good regional dealers as well. There was a nice selection of nice collector coins available. For me, dealers were very picky and price sensitive on the nicer coins, and coins over $1000 were not selling for me. I actually got the most interest was the sub $100 slabs and mid range under $500 priced coins, and I also was able to sell and learn more about CONECA and varieties at the show.

Bullion seemed to be dead - and there was lots available to buy and dealers were eager to sell at melt levels. I was courious about the fact that rounds and bars sell for a $1 or more over melt, but bullion coins sell at or discounted to melt and are slow movers. That seems not to make sense to me, but that's what sells in the market.

I was able to sell a good quantity of the sub $100 slabs for the "classics". There was no real interest in coins after 1964.

That night, wife and I had a nice dinner at the nearby Bonefish Grill, and then we enjoyed a bottle of wine in our hotel. The next morning I dropped her off at the Amtrak connecting bus in Colorado Springs for her to connect to Amtrak to go to Albuquerque. While Colorado Springs is nice, the bus station is an absolute blighted mess and caution recommended if you ever have occasion to use it. Anyway, I got her safely on the bus and then went back to my room to figure some bids in the Stacks Baltimore auction - and I got shut out on everything I was interested in. Then had breakfast, checked out and went back to the show.

Here is some of the flotsam and jetsom that I bought for myself:

1839 cent type 1840, N8 from Doug Bird:

And these 2 half cent counterstamps from W.I. Coins, a dealer from Wisconsin:

And this interesting medal that's remotely related to my Pre Dirty Thirties commem set from Bill Arnold:

I'm also starting to dabble in world coins. Here is an English Crown (I think its been cleaned) with a very grumpy old man, kind of like me when I don't get enough sleep:

And an old political pin on the cheapo side:

Finished up around 3 pm and drove home.

EOM

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report, sounds like a good local show!

Enjoyed the pics too, even the damaged coins ;)

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report, sounds like a relaxing couple of days.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice images... The 1816 George III is a half crown. Neat selection of very cool additions... Including the LaFollette Wheeler political pin from 1924. Burton Wheeler represented Montana in the Senate for years back in the day.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

Love the report.!! How come they stamped the coins? I'm reading coin literature as fast as I can but there is so much to take in and learn.
    I really think that the Oregon trail coins are a cool part of history and had never seen any until joining the coin forum. My grandfather only collected silver and gold.
    I also love the pin. Do you collect those as well?

Thanks again for the report :smiley:

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all for the kind comments. Thanks Kaz for the correction on the 1/2 Crown. Cyndie, there are several reasons for the counterstamps. Many serious numismatists consider them just damaged coins, I think they are charming and wonder about each one's story. The pin just looked cool, and it was cheap!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report. Sounded lik an interesting show.

OINK

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report - thanks for sharing with us.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good report... surprised that bullion was not moving.... Counter stamped coins have a limited following and are really interesting if the stamp can be traced/authenticated to a specific person or business. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report! I did not make it until Saturday (dang work!) and when I arrived around noon, 1/3 of the dealers were packing up as usual. But, I was able to make a complete circuit, stopping to chit chat with my usual dealer friends and even able to peruse a few that I normally don't see in Colorado shows (they come for the ANA Summer Seminar, etc.)

Really hesitated to pull the trigger on a couple coins, including a nice 1972 Lincoln double die obverse. Just waiting for the ANA World's Fair of Money in August.

I did buy several nice OBW Lincoln rolls, including a 1942 D roll and a few later dates that had bankroll wrapping from Colorado National Bank, and looked really choice.

I am attending both sessions of the ANA Summer Seminar, so I already spent a chunk on my numismatic "tuition" so far this month.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. :) Nice coins!

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the informative show report.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file