Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PackGeek | NEW EPISODE UP: 1998-99 Topps Chrome Basketball | Dirk Tribute

Comments

• Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2018 8:56PM

@jordangretzkyfan - He’s the poor man’s Josh Grobin, with card knowledge!

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very entertaining, as always, Jeff! Thanks!

Waiting for a 70s rack to get ripped!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Jeff.

Josh was working in shops when they were sprouting on the landscape like weeds.

I was lucky. My son was 7 in '90 and enjoyed hitting the shops, shows and flea markets.

He left the hobby a few years later unfortunately - I never left - still enjoying it.

Looks like Josh got the better cards buddy.

As usual, I enjoyed this - thanx for the time you took to present.

Mike
  • KyndbrothaKyndbrotha Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

always enjoy this thread, keep em coming. Positive vibes for a big hit coming your way.

@grote15 - Thanks, Tim! Do you know anyone that has some extra 70s racks in their collection? I am accepting donations :)

@Stone193 - I'm like you, Mike - I just can't seem to part with the hobby. Too much fun, and too many good memories.

@Kyndbrotha - Thank you, friend! I have a good feeling about this next solo rip ;) My luck can only get better from here!

Jeff
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

@Big80s said:
    @grote15 - Thanks, Tim! Do you know anyone that has some extra 70s racks in their collection? I am accepting donations :)

Tim has plenty to spare, much more than I do. :wink:

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

@cpamike said:

@Big80s said:

Hiya Mike!

Mike

@cpamike said:

@Big80s said:

I've seen photos indicating you have quite a hoard yourself, buddy, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@Stone193 said:

@cpamike said:

@Big80s said:

Hiya Mike!

>

Hi Mike :)

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

@grote15 said:

@cpamike said:

@Big80s said:

I've seen photos indicating you have quite a hoard yourself, buddy, LOL!

:o

Collecting:

Just a quick update. We have several new episodes in the can, waiting to be edited - and we're about to film a new round of videos. I'm REALLY excited for some of the material we'll be opening...

Jeff
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

:o

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff... Now that's what I'm talking about. Bravo can't wait. BTW can you see on the back of the 86 pack who the sticker is?

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
    edited March 10, 2018 3:06PM

@BPorter26 - I can see the sticker, but I’d rather not reveal that. I want this to be a surprise for myself and the whole audience.

Jeff
  • secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

This should be fun. I wish the videos were LIVE! (hint, hint)

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

bink

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Entertaining as always!!! Congrats on the Jordan.

@JBrules - thanks, buddy! It’s always exciting to catch a big hit on-camera.

Jeff
  • jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice hit...1986-1989 Fleer Jordan’s never get old to look at. Thanks for sharing the fun break!

@jordangretzkyfan - Thank you! As i’ve mentioned, my goal is to not only open cool packs, but I want to produce a high-quality and entertaining series. I’m working hard to book guests I think you’ll enjoy, as well. You guys are my barometer - so the CU support means everything to me.

@erikthredd - Thanks for watching, Eric!

Jeff
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Yes Jeff!!! Congrats! Overall a very solid rip. A pair of Zekes, a Ewing and the Jordan.

I'm pretty sure I've opened those first 2 packs back in the day. Of the 30 or so 87F's I had in a box, most were the same.

Looking forward to the next installment.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Jeff - I love your pack rips!

Your camera and editing is great, keep up the fun, I'll be watching!

Matt

@vintagefun - Thank you so much! We've got a few more big basketball rips coming soon.

@Littletweed - Much appreciated, and it means a lot that people are taking note of the shooting and editing. I work in media production - so being able to combine that background and my love for sports cards has been a blast! Thanks for watching!

Jeff
    edited March 14, 2018 8:01PM

Wow!

Congratulation Jeff.

Definitely the best I've seen on your rips!!

How were the corners - centering was darn good.

Mike

Nice capture, Mike! The L/R centering is great. It’s a little too heavy though. The corners are sharp. I think it’s probably an 8 or 8.5.

Jeff

And you can see the bubble gum dust on your thumb.

Congrats, Jeff! Awesome video, as always!

@vintagefun - What is that dust? I have always called it “bubble gum dust” due to the similar dust in old Topps pack. However, there’s obviously no gum in Fleer. I probably need a new name for it :)

@grote15 - Thank you, Tim!

Jeff
  • jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Big80s said:
    @vintagefun - What is that dust? I have always called it “bubble gum dust” due to the similar dust in old Topps pack. However, there’s obviously no gum in Fleer. I probably need a new name for it :)

You are correct with “bubble gum dust.” Fleer basketball contained a stick of gum from 1986-1988 :)

@jordangretzkyfan - Good to know it was not a figment of my imagination :)

Jeff

Hello Friends!
    @PackGeek episode #31 is live and ready for consumption. I'm opening 1980 Topps Basketball in this episode, and I think you're going to enjoy this one. Thanks for letting me share!

https://youtu.be/gBF9uAuhQoM

Jeff
  • minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

SWEET!!

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff.... Did you play the arcade game NBA Jam before you ripped? Because you are on fire with ripping basketball the last couple of episodes. A job well done!!! I can not wait for the 86 Fleer rip.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON

Thank you, @erikthredd & @minnesotahusker !! I appreciate you guys tuning in!

@BPorter26 - Buddy, do you know how many hours of NBA Jams I logged, back in the day. I am so excited to finally be able to share some big hits with you guys. That 1986 Fleer pack is burning a whole in my pocket!!

Jeff
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Monster pull, Jeff! Congratulations!

Congratulations Jeff!

What's the corners like on "the" card?

Mike

Great rip! Basketball has been very very good to you lately. Continued success Jeff!

@lahmejoon Thank you!

@vintagefun - Thank you for the encouraging words! And yes, basketball has been really good to me. It's those small sets, as it's really just a numbers game at the end of the day.

@Stone193 The card looks like a solid PSA 8 to me. Corners are nice, but that centering should keep it out of a 9 holder, in my opinion. Maybe an 8.5? They're pretty tough on this card - but I do plan to get it graded. I was going to let it play for a few days before I posted a shot of the card, but now that the cat is out of the bag...

Jeff
    edited April 4, 2018 2:00PM

Actually, after looking at my own photo - it looks like a PSA 7. My PSA 8/8.5 talk was definitely wishful thinking.

Jeff
  • Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

Congrats on you're pull! Sweet card!

• Cory1976Cory1976 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

Hi Jeff. Great pull on that Bird/Magic rookie! I always enjoy your videos.

edited April 4, 2018 4:50PM

@Big80s said:
    Actually, after looking at my own photo - it looks like a PSA 7. My PSA 8/8.5 talk was definitely wishful thinking.

You would be surprised because of no print line on bottom and a really nice surface with no PD that card would look nice in any holder.

Awesome pull man and some other nice cards. I think the last Bird you pulled could have a real chance too--take a 2nd look. Were the packs BBCE?

@Time4aGansett - thank you so much!

@Cory1976 - I appreciate you watching the videos, Cory!

@secretstash - I agree. Regardless of the grade - it will be a lot of fun to have that card in a holder. I'll take another look at the other Bird card, as well. All of these packs were from BBCE.

Jeff
  • RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Great pull Jeff! I would have been falling all over myself if I had pulled that card. That was thrilling to watch via the video for me, my heart is still racing. Happy for you! Thanks for sharing these. I really enjoy them.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball

@RookieHOFers - Thank you, Matt. It was super exciting, even having pulled that card before on video. I'm happy you guys are enjoying the videos. As I've mentioned before - the initial intent behind the series was just to share pack break videos with my friends on the CU boards. So as long as you guys are enjoying them, and I'm still able to enjoy the process - I consider the series a success.

Jeff

@Big80s said:
    @RookieHOFers - Thank you, Matt. It was super exciting, even having pulled that card before on video. I'm happy you guys are enjoying the videos. As I've mentioned before - the initial intent behind the series was just to share pack break videos with my friends on the CU boards. So as long as you guys are enjoying them, and I'm still able to enjoy the process - I consider the series a success.

The editing and camera angles and stuff is really cool. I think if you don't already have a career in that industry then you need to consider something creative. Nice work man. Always enjoyable.

@secretstash - thank you so much! That means a lot, as the production quality is really something I’ve been making a priority. When I started PackGeek I wanted to combine my two passions - filmmaking and sports cards. Hopefully, I can figure out a way to continue putting this sort of content out.

Jeff