Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PackGeek | NEW EPISODE UP: 1998-99 Topps Chrome Basketball | Dirk Tribute

Comments

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Thanks, fellas! I could open these late 70s packs up all day, if I had the available funds.

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    Great stuff, Jeff. Only a matter of time before you connect hard!

Agree! Although seeing a Raiders helmet that close to a Chiefs helmet is a little
    disturbing to me. Can you put the Raiders helmet on the floor, or in the trash?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@Darin Thanks for checking out the video!
    For the record, I'm a Chiefs fan. However, I grew up on that rivalry, and having the two helmets together brings back a lot of fond memories.

Jeff
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Great videos..can't wait to see more and go back to see others

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options

@belz - Much appreciated! The older videos are fun, but please excuse the production quality.

Jeff
  • Options

Big80s...too bad you're not in the Chicagoland area..I open vintage but wouldn't have a clue to setting up
    Video as great as you do. You can open some of my packs..I watched your 75 rack...that was fun.

• Options
    BeRoyalKCBeRoyalKC Posts: 413 ✭✭

I want to find where you are buying these packs and offer $1 more than you so they don't get opened. Poor Dawson and Seaver. What did they ever do to you? It's ok, I guess the less packs out there the more mine are worth. Thanks for the entertainment. I too use to open packs but a terrible wax / paper cut injury ended my opening career.

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options

@belz - At some point, I'd love to do some videos on location with some guest rippers. So we may take the show on the road eventually. Thanks for checking out the videos!

@BeRoyalKC - I typically buy my product from BBCE, so I'm sure Steve would love for you to pay a dollar more than the sticker price. ;) I can't tell you how many times I've purchased packs to rip from them, and they've arrived with stars showing. It doesn't make opening the pack any easier, but alas - what would the show be if I just showed off a pack with stars showing, but never opened it? Thanks for watching the episode! #goroyals

Jeff
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

@pjb103183 said:
    Always quality entertainment! These videos give me a serious urge to rip some vintage ;)

Yeah, I'm surprised Tim hasn't broken into the vault yet, Lol.

And kids, this is why we don't open baseball packs. Can I get an amen?!?

I must say that your videos get better and better with each rip Jeff...well done!!

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

@cpamike said:

And kids, this is why we don't open baseball packs. Can I get an amen?!?

@cpamike - Someone has to play the part of the bad example.

Jeff
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome video, as always, Jeff! I really enjoy watching these!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 - I appreciate it, Tim! More to come!

Jeff
  • Options

Friends - it's time for another rip!!
    Here's PackGeek rip #22 - 1980 Topps Basketball Wax Packs

https://youtu.be/Xa3I_RKeYWE

Thanks for letting me share!

Jeff
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Jeff

No Oz but good entertainment.

Great production with a nice little "blend" of humor with sound bites - good show buddy!

Mike
  • Options

Love it. Wish u got the big one though.

• Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

So much fun to watch!

Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited August 9, 2017 7:20PM

seriously. what are the odds the 2 cards that would be damaged out the 3 packs would be the Larry Bird and the Magic Johnson cards and just those 2 cards. They even had the exact same type of damage.

Very odd.

• Options

@Stone193 - Thank you, Mike! I'm trying to keep them as fun as possible, so I'm glad you're enjoying them.

@belz - Haha, me too! There's always next time.

@curch - Thanks for the feedback!

@49ersGuy - It was super odd. It was definitely not "extra cardboard" as I had initially thought. But hey - it was still a super fun rip.

Jeff
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2017 9:16PM

This is must see TV, Jeff! And I don't even collect basketball cards, LOL!

Well done, as always!

The damage to the Johnson and Bird cards are machine (loader) marks which were common during this era (especially in racks), typically with the first card in the pack or the first card following the "flip" in the pack (like you see with the Magic card). You can also see this phenomenon on the bottom edges of top cards in rack packs and occasionally on left edge of top cards in cello packs. These loader marks were caused by the card "catching" in the machine at the factory when the packs were being sealed.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    This is must see TV, Jeff! And I don't even collect basketball cards, LOL!

Well done, as always!

The damage to the Johnson and Bird cards are machine (loader) marks which were common during this era (especially in racks), typically with the first card in the pack or the first card following the "flip" in the pack (like you see with the Magic card). You can also see this phenomenon on the bottom edges of top cards in rack packs and occasionally on left edge of top cards in cello packs. These loader marks were caused by the card "catching" in the machine at the factory when the packs were being sealed.

Great knowledge there.

• Options

@grote15 - Thanks, Tim - great info. It's unfortunate that this particular loader had great taste in cards :smile:

Jeff
  • Options

Wednesday rip time. PackGeek rip #23 - 1984 Topps Football Rack Packs

https://youtu.be/K-DW4d6wq1Q

Jeff
  • Options

As always, incredibly entertaining...every time a bronco or dolphin popped up I got excited...great work and keep me coming!!! Let me know when you take it on the road.

• Options

@belz - I felt the same exact way seeing the Broncos and Dolphins logos. And I have a lot of ideas for the series, that I'd like to eventually explore - including doing some one-off rips in different cities and at different events. Thanks for the kind words!

Jeff
  • Options

The latest rip is live: PackGeek rip #24 - 1988 Fleer Basketball Wax Packs
    Here we go!

https://youtu.be/WW30o9kdc4s

Jeff
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@Big80s said:

>

Love 88 Fleer Basketball! Those stickers are the best!

• Options

Awesome rip as usual...I am still waiting for a killer hit, you are so due!!!

• Options

Tough break Jeff.

As always....entertaining buddy.

Mike
  • Options

@secretstash @belz @Stone193 - Thanks, friends! I appreciate it!

Jeff
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

88 Fleer is fun. Thanks for sharing!

• Options

My favorite card ever is the 1975 Topps George Brett rookie. I've been obsessed with this card since I was a young collector. The '75 Brett is also my #1 "Pull Goal" from the PackGeek.com site, and I'm trying to pull one today.

PackGeek rip #25 - 1975 Topps Mini Baseball Wax Packs

https://youtu.be/NlfY9ujgcvg

Jeff
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

I hope they were '75 mini's, LOL. I have a darn 5pm meeting so I'll have to wait until I get home to check it out. No spoilers please!!

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

@cpamike - Mini's they are!

Jeff
  • Options

Excellent entertainment but I won't say anything else to not spoil it for anyone else.

• Options

@belz - Much appreciated, my friend!

Jeff
  • Options

Again Jeff - entertaining buddy.

Sorry you didn't hit anything good. Next time.

Definitely worth the price of admission!

Mike
  • Options

Fantastic, Jeff! Always entertaining to watch these rips~the production is top notch!

• Options

@Stone193 - Thank you, Mike!
    @grote15 - I appreciate it, Tim!

Jeff
  • Options

I should also mention - if you're on social media, please connect with me - and I would really appreciate any subscribers to the YouTube channel. You can find me at the following:

YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/user/PackGeek

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/PackGeek/

I'm working on a new website, and I'm hoping to fill out these social media channels. As always, I really appreciate all of the positive feedback and support I've received from my CU buddies - you guys are the best. I've got some fun ideas for the series, and I'm hoping to keep sharing these with you.

Jeff
  • Options

Always fun to watch. It's watching vintage pack rips that got me back into the hobby after a 20 year hiatus.

p.s. I still have yet to get the nerve up to rip a vintage pack.

• Options

@49ersGuy - It's still a thrill for me every time I crack open a 30-40 year old pack of cards. While it's rarely a financially sound decision - it's always fun, and that's why I started sharing these rips via videos.

Jeff
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Great rips! I have enjoyed every video so far. You are way overdue for a big hit! Was really pulling for you to get a Brett Rookie especially being your top pull goal. Hopefully you have a few more packs left over to rip in a future video :smile:

Jeremy

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Love your rips! Thanks for sharing!

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Great job! Definitely the most fun I've had watching rips.

• Options
    edited September 8, 2017 8:29PM

@MantleFan23 @vintagefun @Tecmo Boil - You guys made my day! Thanks so much for the kind words. More rips to come!

Jeff
  • Options

Hello, Friends!
    Just a quick update on PackGeek. I've scored some great new material, and I'm chomping at the bit to break it! I've been throwing around the idea of doing some live breaks on either the PackGeek Facebook or Instagram channel. Would you guys have interest in watching a live break like that?

Jeff
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Only if you can somehow implement the sound effects...LOL....

Just kidding, I'd be all up for watching a live break on Facebook!

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 6:31PM

@Big80s said:
    Hello, Friends!
    Just a quick update on PackGeek. I've scored some great new material, and I'm chomping at the bit to break it! I've been throwing around the idea of doing some live breaks on either the PackGeek Facebook or Instagram channel. Would you guys have interest in watching a live break like that?

Hell yes. But if we miss will it still be recorded on youtube or somewhere?

• Options

Love it! Looking forward to it on You Tube or FB.

• Options

@MantleFan23 - You nailed it. That is my biggest hesitation. I hate to lose the sound effects, but it would basically just be an experiment. I do think it would be interesting if I was able to interact with you guys, live, as I did a break.

@secretstash - Yes. It basically just becomes a video after the live broadcast is finished. And if I do go through with a Live broadcast - I would make sure you guys all knew the exact date and time I was doing it beforehand - so you could tune in if you were interested.

@grote15 - Thanks, buddy!

I appreciate the feedback, guys. I'm always looking for ways to improve the series - so I value your insight.

Jeff