Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Early Maximilian Medal 6th of July 1863

TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 18, 2017 6:51PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Here is a newp that I am super excited about!!! This small medal was issued to commemorate the coronation and accession to the Imperial throne of Mexico of the highly distinguished Ferdinand Maximilian - Archduke of Austria, Prince of Hungary, Bohemia and Lorrena, and Count of Hapsburg. (Geese that's a lot of titles!)

The Junta de Notables (Assembly of the Notables) was a 250 member, supposedly impartial, body that essentially did what the French Emperor Napoleon III told them to do. The Notables, by committee, selected Maximilian to rise to power and the mandate making Ferdinand Maximillian Emperor of Mexico occurred on the 3rd of October 1863. However, the coronation and formal ceremony accepting the new crown of Mexico did not take place until the 10th of April 1864. Maybe it took six months for the Archduke of Austria to uproot and move to Mexico?

What is odd, and a bit conflicting, is the date featured on the medal, the 6th of July 1863. This date is actually Maximillian's 31st birthday!

The mustached portrait featured on the obverse is handsome and unique! The likeness of the future Emperor bares virtually no resemblance to the heavily bearded design that was actually used for the popular 1866 and 1867 Mexico Pesos.

The reference book* I have, lists this medal as being struck in copper! The example I was fortunate to pluck off eBay is clearly struck in silver. I have no idea which composition is more scarce, but I imagine both silver and copper examples are very few and far between.

I'm a big fan of the Maximilian series and what a cool example to add to my variety collection. :)

If anyone knows of another example to compare with or someone who may have additional information, it would be greatly appreciated!

photo image_zpsw9daxlzs.jpeg

photo image_zpslzyb6xq8.jpeg

photo image_zpsvc3cj2be.jpeg

{The information I have referenced above can be found in the book *Mexican Imperial Coinage - Benjamin Betts 1899}

Comments