Home U.S. Coin Forum

The ANA Medal Thread!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 30, 2019 10:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have an interest in ANA medals and especially love the artistry of them.

Here's one of mine from the 1991 ANA Centennial which is possibly my favorite ANA design. I love how the De Profundis lamp is incorporated into the design. I've read this was designed by Neil Harris but it has initials for TK on them. Does anyone know who TK represents? Also, does anyone know how many gold and silver medals were minted? I've heard 250 bronze were minted.

Update: I found out that this medal is designed by none other than Thomas D. Rogers Sr., designer of the Sacagawea Dollar reverse! I've updated the image accordingly.

Please post any of your ANA medals!

Tagged:

Comments

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had not seen this medal before. Way cool!

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't have a medal but your's is amazing - never seen that before!

How about a 1959 Badge with a "medal" attached?? ;)

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Since yesterday was the 50th Anniversary of the ANA Headquarters Building dedication ...

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1990 ANA Convention was held in Seattle, the medal was designed by David Castruccio of Medallic Art Co. I attended the convention and have the 57 mm large medal that I bought on eBay for 5 bucks, it is buried deep in my archives and would take months to find, so I will post a link https://pnna.org/catalog/images/1990_lg_bronze_obv.JPG

It is amazing how Seattle has changed since 1990, Amazon was not yet created and now they employ 40,000 in downtown Seattle.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins.... That is a beautiful medal.... Such artistry...if only we could have coins like that....
    @Nysoto.... that is a nice medal as well.... an impossible view, if one knows Seattle...
    Cheers, RickO

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone! It might be my favorite medal from a pure artistry perspective right now. I didn't know that it existed in gold until I ran across it but it was already one of my favorite designs so I jumped on it.

Great medals @Lakesammman and @USAROK! It's great to go through time on numismatics with ANA medals. I'm still looking for an Oregon myself :)

edited July 4, 2017 11:08AM

Great medals @USAROK! Does Mark Feld know you have these? He's related to Max which is pretty cool.

I wanted to get the 25 year membership medal for Abe Kosoff but missed it this year.

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

• bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

The 1967 ANA medals are nice. This year the ANA is celebrating the 50th anniversary of that event after the Denver show on Sunday. I was there at the dedication, and it was where I first met a new collector( he started in 1966) Harry Bass. I wonder how many who were there then are still around?

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2023 6:29AM

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @4504, nice medal for your first post! Welcome! :)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
    edited June 30, 2019 10:49PM

@Zoins said:

Here's one of mine from the 1991 ANA Centennial which is possibly my favorite ANA design. I love how the De Profundis lamp is incorporated into the design. I've read this was designed by Neil Harris but it has initials for TK on them. Does anyone know who TK represents? Also, does anyone know how many gold and silver medals were minted? I've heard 250 bronze were minted.

I took a closer look and realized the TK is actually a TR and stands for Tom D. Rogers, designer of the Sacagawea reverse who used TDR on that coin. I'm guessing Harris must have designed the reverse so I'll need to update the image. The following is from Tom's portfolio page:

http://www.tdrogers.com/ana-100th-anniversary-medal/

In 1990, the American Numismatic Association announced a national competition to design it’s 100th Anniversary Medal. I was fortunate enough to have been selected for the Obverse of this prestigious medal, pictured here. No words were needed for this design.

The action portrayed in the art speaks to the history of the ANA. A Centurion, armed only with the enlightenment of knowledge, opens the portal of darkness, and ascends the steps into the future.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only ANA medal, from the only ANA I attended, Boston in 1982.....
    Currently for sale on ebay....(shameless plug)

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Zoins said:

I took a closer look and realized the TK is actually a TR and stands for Tom D. Rogers, designer of the Sacagawea reverse who used TDR on that coin. I'm guessing Harris must have designed the reverse so I'll need to update the image. The following is from Tom's portfolio page:

In 1990, the American Numismatic Association announced a national competition to design it’s 100th Anniversary Medal. I was fortunate enough to have been selected for the Obverse of this prestigious medal, pictured here. No words were needed for this design.

The action portrayed in the art speaks to the history of the ANA. A Centurion, armed only with the enlightenment of knowledge, opens the portal of darkness, and ascends the steps into the future.

Did you check the back issues of The Numismatist online for 1991 to verify that Neil did the reverse?

A couple of years ago when I was still living in Colorado Springs I went by headquarters to borrow a book and Neil and his wife were in the building. The ANA seal on the cement rectangle on the front lawn had deteriorated since it was installed in 1967, and the ANA commissioned Neil to make a new one. It had been installed earlier that day. Spent some time reminiscing about the good old days. His wife worked at ANACS when I was there.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    edited December 16, 2017 2:33PM

@CaptHenway said:

@Zoins said:

@Zoins said:

Did you check the back issues of The Numismatist online for 1991 to verify that Neil did the reverse?

A couple of years ago when I was still living in Colorado Springs I went by headquarters to borrow a book and Neil and his wife were in the building. The ANA seal on the cement rectangle on the front lawn had deteriorated since it was installed in 1967, and the ANA commissioned Neil to make a new one. It had been installed earlier that day. Spent some time reminiscing about the good old days. His wife worked at ANACS when I was there.

Great info on Neil and the ANA seal. Neil was mentioned by Bill Hyder but I haven't verified it yet. Looking up a bit of info on Neil, there's some good info in the TAMS Journal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/525511?page=28

He's an author and artist/medalist who joined the Medallic Art Company as Art Director. He was also past president of TAMS and an editor for The Numismatist.

Here's his MedalArtists.com profile:

http://www.medalartists.com/harris-n-neil.html

On the topic of this thread, he wrote the book "A Catalogue of Convention Badges & Medals of the American Numismatic Association 1908-1968" which is mentioned in the following thread:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/800495/ana-convention-badges-medals-etc-any-published-information

edited December 16, 2017 5:11PM

Here are my latest ANA medals in gold, silver and bronze.

Here's a description from Dick Johnson's MedalBlog.

https://medalblog.wordpress.com/2011/05/09/medallic-art-company’s-long-time-relationship-with-ana/

1960 This begins the longest run of ANA convention medals made by one firm – Medallic Art Company – with models by top American sculptors in high quality and innovative medals. This year’s convention medal, 1960 Boston 69th Anniversary Convention Medal, designed by Boston numismatist James Ford Clapp Jr., was modeled by Joseph DiLorenzo; catalog number 1960.077.

Here's James Ford Clapp Jr's profile on MedalArtists.com, also by Dick Johnson and team.

http://www.medalartists.com/clapp-james-ford-jr.html

edited November 11, 2018 5:44PM

@USAROK said:
    Here are 2 more medals from my collection of ANA medals.

Those are awesome. I think these are great to collect. I wanted to pick up Abe Kosoff's 25th anniversary medal a while back but missed it. I hope the opportunity presents itself again some time.

I just picked up this gold 50th anniversary medal along with the silver 25th anniversary medal as well.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you got that pair of ANA medals @Zoins! I was watching them and believe you got a great deal on them

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

edited July 14, 2019 4:27AM

Old Thread Update

Just ran across this Abe Kosoff award medal. I'm not sure who designed this yet, but there are the initials "R.C." on the obverse.

Sold: 300.00 USD + (63.00) buyer's premium. + applicable fees & taxes.
    [...]
    Large 3 inch silver Heath literary award presented to Abe Kosoff in 1960. Kosoff is one of the most important figures in the ANAs long and distinguished history. He was an icon in the numismatic world. (Don Young Collection)

This should be edge marked "MEDALLIC ART CO. N.Y. STERLING SILVER." as some others are, like for Philip H. Chase.

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my one and only, ribbon included.....

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two 25 year membership medals from two of the best of many good people that I have met in the business over the years -- Bob is gone but friend Joe is still my go-to guy in several areas (and is still pumping out .pdf fixed price lists full of great material):

(Note the style differences in the two pieces)

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2019 9:07AM

@tokenpro said:
    Two 25 year membership medals from two of the best of many good people that I have met in the business over the years -- Bob is gone but friend Joe is still my go-to guy in several areas (and is still pumping out .pdf fixed price lists full of great material):

(Note the style differences in the two pieces)

Bob Medlar was a friend and a great guy and Betty was a first class lady.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have these from 2002. I've tried to sell this set a few times but there's never anyone interested. I thought the design was appealing, especially the year following 9/11. The spot on the bronze piece was there when I received them in 2002. Meh.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    edited July 17, 2020 4:59AM

@keyman64 said:
    I have these from 2002. I've tried to sell this set a few times but there's never anyone interested. I thought the design was appealing, especially the year following 9/11. The spot on the bronze piece was there when I received them in 2002. Meh.

Those are beautiful medals! Both PCGS and NGC grade ANA medals now. It would be interesting if there was a registry set for these.

As for sales, a few of these have sold on eBay over the years which can be seen here:

https://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search?query=ana+medal+new+york+2002&category=

Some medal sets (different years) have sold more recently:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ana+medal+set&_sacat=11116&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

This posting is a great way to wake up with my morning coffee. The Mehl items are very cool. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@Namvet69 said:
    This posting is a great way to wake up with my morning coffee. The Mehl items are very cool. Peace Roy

Agree. That's a great set. It's great to see medals from numismatists!

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Eric P. Newman medal got me thinking this morning. He received his 50th anniversary medal in 1985. Wouldn't it have been cool to have issued him one in Platinum in the year 2010 for his 75th?! He certainly lived a long and interesting life, dedicating a great amount to numismatics.
    @Zoins should be very proud of those two medals!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

1956 ANA Award for the Advancement of Numismatic Knowledge. Bronze, 50mm. Awarded to Eric P. Newman.
    American Numismatic Society, 2018.37.3

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

edited July 19, 2020 12:27PM

@JesseKraft said:
    1956 ANA Award for the Advancement of Numismatic Knowledge. Bronze, 50mm. Awarded to Eric P. Newman.
    American Numismatic Society, 2018.37.3

That's awesome Jesse! It's a great award and a beautiful looking specimen! Great to see more Newman medals, and award medals from numismatic luminaries in general.

How did that come to be in the ANS collection? I normally see an attribution to the person who donated the piece but don't see it here. Do we know who donated it? Was this donated by Eric directly? Do we know when it was donated?

edited July 19, 2020 3:15PM

@DCW said:
    That Eric P. Newman medal got me thinking this morning. He received his 50th anniversary medal in 1985. Wouldn't it have been cool to have issued him one in Platinum in the year 2010 for his 75th?! He certainly lived a long and interesting life, dedicating a great amount to numismatics.
    @Zoins should be very proud of those two medals!

That would be great Dennis! Would be great to salute past numismatic giants.

One thing I still regret is not picking up Abe Kosoff's 25th Anniversary medal when it was available. I wonder if I'll ever get another chance now.

• JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins, here's another. They were both donated by Tony Terranova in 2018.
    1959 Heath Literary Award, issued by the American Numismatic Association. Struck by the Medallic Art Co. Awarded to Eric P. Newman. Silver, 66mm.
    American Numismatic Society, 2018.37.1

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes ... they are nice!!

• DontTellTheWifeDontTellTheWife Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

So buffalo, ny had an ANA in 1901 and 1947, the 20th anniversary of the buffalo numismatic association, which was formed in 1927.

Loved the BNA logo and the buffalo skyline!!

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the large US Mint National Commemorative 3-inch .900 silver medal for the 75th ANA in 1966. Only 30 medals were struck by the US Mint in Philadelphia and presented to various noted individuals. This one is #25 of 30 and was presented to Jack W. Ogilvie the ANA historian at the time. One went to President Lyndon Johnson, Frank Gasparro the Mint designer/engraver, Secretary of the Treasury Henry Fowler, Director of the Mint Miss Eva B. Adams, etc.

@tokenpro said:

Those are excellent! Where were these struck and was it an official US Mint issue? Any paperwork with them ? If more info, or selling please PM me if you get a chance. Thanks.

• tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are not U.S. Mint medals - IIRC, they were made by the long time Philadelphia die sinking firm of August C. Frank Co. but I'm not 100% on that (only about 94.3%). I listed a single bronze and then the above bronze & silver (individually) on eBay shortly after my original post (7-19-19). I don't have the PR handy but I thought they could have done a bit better than they did (as a seller always thinks). They were part of a strong run of NYNS, Adam Pietz and others that I listed during that period.

edited July 21, 2020 2:47AM

Good discussion on the 1941 medals! This is a neat medal.

Here's one in gold from the Don Young collection that was auctioned by Fred Holabird in December 2016. Don had a lot of gold ANA medals which I'm especially interested in.

http://www.holabirdamericana.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Dec.-2016-Day-3-Pt.-2.pdf

Here's a 1941 worn medal from Vincent William Alones. I enjoyed reading up on Vinnie. He had some interesting coins and purchased coins from B. Max Mehl and Abe Kosoff among others.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/1-1P3WE/lot-of-5-ana-convention-badges-extremely-fine

More on some of Vinnie's coins here:

https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v15n22a08.html

edited July 21, 2020 5:44PM

@JesseKraft said:
    @Zoins, here's another. They were both donated by Tony Terranova in 2018.

Great! Glad to know Tony is donating these pieces. It’s great to have Newman’s medals at the ANS.

I just ran across from Stack's which is interesting which has an interesting statement on the BP. I wonder if they would waive the BP if a piece was donated to the ANS?

(1948) ANA President's Medal awarded to J. Douglas Ferguson.
    [...]
    According to ANA Historian David Sklow, the leading authority on ANA medals, the ANA President's medals were "first released in 1948 by a board resolution from 1947's Buffalo convention. Every living past president in 1948 received a medal. Farran Zerbe got the first one. Julius Windner prepared the preliminary designs; he was also the chairman of the medals committee. The medal was struck by August C. Frank Company, Philadelphia, from dies cut by hand in steel.
    [...]
    Should the winning bidder wish to donate this lot to the ANA Museum's collection of ANA memorabilia, ANR will waive the standard 15% buyer's fee on this lot.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-AO8GC/1948-ana-presidents-medal-awarded-to-j-douglas-ferguson-as-issued

edited July 27, 2020 1:19AM

@Goldminers said:
    This is the large US Mint National Commemorative 3-inch .900 silver medal for the 75th ANA in 1966. Only 30 medals were struck by the US Mint in Philadelphia and presented to various noted individuals. This one is #25 of 30 and was presented to Jack W. Ogilvie the ANA historian at the time. One went to President Lyndon Johnson, Frank Gasparro the Mint designer/engraver, Secretary of the Treasury Henry Fowler, Director of the Mint Miss Eva B. Adams, etc.

And the bronze 3,000 struck.

Great medals! Those silvers are pretty rare and pricey!

Great to see Frank Gasparro's name on both sides of this!

edited July 26, 2020 6:26PM

I've been seeing sets like the following for a long time and have always wondered what the small medal was for and now I finally know!

How many of these small worn medals are issued each year?

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

This arrived in yesterday's mail. A surprise - I just thought they weren't giving them out last year.

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice medals everyone. I thought I posted these here but I guess I forgot.
    I picked up this single graded one by NGC as a MS64. Looking at it in had appears gold gilt.
    I looked it up and none were made but…..you never know.

And, after a wonderful forum member introduced me to someone that deals in medals……and countless
    weeks of him looking and emails back and forth I was able to get this 1947 all original in the box.
    One brass, sterling silver and 10k gold.(furthest right in image)
    I even got the original badge with the ribbon. It’s been at PCGS for grading and trueviews for the last couple of month but
    hopefully soon will have some trueviews to post.

From the same person I was able to obtain the 1969 medal set. He gave me the original brochure
    that came with the medal set.one I get back the 1947 set I’ll send in this set.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    Nice medals everyone. I thought I posted these here but I guess I forgot.
    I picked up this single graded one by NGC as a MS64. Looking at it in had appears gold gilt.
    I looked it up and none were made but…..you never know.

And, after a wonderful forum member introduced me to someone that deals in medals……and countless
    weeks of him looking and emails back and forth I was able to get this 1947 all original in the box.
    One brass, sterling silver and 10k gold.(furthest right in image)
    I even got the original badge with the ribbon. It’s been at PCGS for grading and trueviews for the last couple of month but
    hopefully soon will have some trueviews to post.

From the same person I was able to obtain the 1969 medal set. He gave me the original brochure
    that came with the medal set.one I get back the 1947 set I’ll send in this set.

Very cool! Have the 69 set too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file