Home Precious Metals

TODAY IS MÆtÄl pØrN FRIDAY!

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post those mouth-watering, eye twitching, heart-racing images of your newest and best, your favorite from times long gone, or the best images you've seen online or in print!

A relative empty streak ended for me this week with the arrival of my newest sterling beer mug. Several years back I started collecting these because of my love of, well, beer, but also because I'm a home brewer, a fan of history, a metals fiend, and a coin collector. Hallmarked with the maker's name, the year produced, the purity, and the town where they were made, silver pieces like these seem like a natural fit. This is the first piece outside of my typical date range of 1776 and before.

This is a sterling silver pint mug (approximately 16.6 ounce capacity), made in London, England in 1793. The seller thought it was by silversmith John Phipps. The name hallmark is partially "rubbed", but my investigations lead me to believe it is by John Robbins. The mark is a close match, and we know for certain he was working in London at this time and those date and location marks are clear. And I've seen other pieces by Robbins that match quite well.

I got this piece because it is radically different from the others in my collection. The form and detail are a 180 degree departure from pieces made just a few years before:

11 cm high
13 cm wide
Approx 10.75 troy ounces sterling

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pic from Aug 2013

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss...That design is certainly out of character for the time period..... Very nice mug. I still have not found the right one.... Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

@ricko said:
    @Weiss...That design is certainly out of character for the time period..... Very nice mug. I still have not found the right one.... Cheers, RickO

Thank you! This style developed quickly and I believe it all but replaced the flourishing, swooping, rococo-y style which had been around for a century or more. Compare and contrast with these pieces from a few years earlier:

Excellence!

I got this one today:

@Geckster109 should like this one.

Did anyone here know they made this in copper? I was surprised when I saw it.

@Weiss.... I like those styles, however, my preference is more the tankard style... I have a pewter RAF mug that I got at the RAF Club in Scotland.... I would like one like it in silver.... I am sure they are out there, just a matter of time.... I think I saw one you got...maybe last year... that was very much like what I am looking for. Cheers, RickO

• cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

.17c over spot

• JJMJJM Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slow week for me, just this

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • SangoSango Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Good stuff, all!!!!

Last weeks score on the left, this weeks pickup on the right.

• SangoSango Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Think I may shoot at a quarter ounce or two for next week, but I also am itching to pick up some Pt.

• FellintoOblivionFellintoOblivion Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    I picked up a 5oz bar this week. $2 face in UNC 64 dimes (didn't photo them)

... and this hideous looking thing.
    photo IMG_6209.jpg
    photo IMG_6210.jpg

I really like the obverse of this.

• UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2017 2:01PM

I ventured off to the dark side a little this week ... a few libertads, a philharmonic, 2 queen's beast and have a Brittania and a few other newps still in the mail... grabbed this shot before they headed to the safe.

and I forgot to mention the 5 San Fran Assay Rounds made from stockpile silver.... in the airtites for $100 for the 5

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• silversirensilversiren Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

These old silver bricks came in yesterday, we just got some tigers in, I may post them shortly

ot s

• PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice bars!

@Meltdown.....That coin came from a top flight doctor..... must be expensive.... but not difficult if one has the tools.... Cheers, RickO

@JJM said:
    Slow week for me, just this

I love that bar!

I got two of these today:
    (Sunshine makes a nice product)

• creekdaltoncreekdalton Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    I bought a couple of bars this week. Here's one of em

Here's a couple more

Love the spiral pour marks on the back. Looks like super fine TIG welding

I like the Scottsdale products....have a few... the silver lion's head is cool. Cheers, RickO