edited August 22, 2019 1:14PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2019 1:14PM

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GotTheBug said:
    PCGS has just implemented a new, expanded Canadian type set in the Set Registry. I'm in! Anyone else?

Looks like you're number one, finest all time! Quick, take a screen shot of that baby!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Sounds tempting...years ago I probably had all the coins needed to put this together, but would have to include some low end items.

• Options

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

For a good number of these coins, it will cost multiple times what the coin would ever be worth just to certify it

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2017 6:59AM

To the best of my knowledge, only PCGS graded coins can be applied to be in such a set.
    I believe this is a cleverly disguised way of attracting more Canadian customers.
    Nothing wrong with that at all. It is theoretically a smart and logical move.
    I have many, and I mean many top grade Vicky coins (MS 60 , up to MS 66) graded by ICCS, CCCS and some NGC, plus many still raw.
    it would cost me a small fortune, some of them most likely more than I paid for the coin, at PCGS grading prices to have PCGS re-grade these just to have them on their web site to be displayed.
    Not going to happen with my coins unless PCGS will offer an incredibly low or equally priced grading fee for such crossings or re-grading. As much as I like our host, but no thanks.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2017 9:33AM

Got the bug,
    it is fantastic that you managed to get our host to expand the Canadian part.
    I commend you for that.
    my post was not to criticize at all. It was simply and basically to comment on the expense.

General comment.
    Now, on second thought, I would need to seriously consider if a AU 55 ICCS 1875 10 cent would grade the same or higher with PCGS and if it would or would not be an advantage by the time the dust settles.
    Fact is, it would look much better in a PCGS slab than an ICCS plastic pouch.
    Then, there is the other issue of personal preference of privacy, like what one has in a collection.
    I do not mind, as a fact I do enjoy posting an image sometimes. But having all up for show? i guess not.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Greeting from 90 miles south of the border ...I don't think Canadian collectors are going to chase MS 70 on otherwise common coins just to be a PCGS registry star.