edited August 22, 2019 1:17PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2019 1:17PM

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice images... I enjoyed seeing ones I rarely encounter

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok guys, here is a scarce one...Obv 1

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

just one more for today

edited August 22, 2019 1:18PM

edited May 14, 2017 9:40AM

Got the bug,

Your last posted 1858 indicates to be a VF coin? IMO it is much better and should get XF unless there is some hidden fault.
    A very nice coin and scarce in better grades.

Thank you for your compliments.
    You might be right that this coin** could** fall under the category of the scariest Canadian coins. But perhaps there are others we are not recognizing as such at this time because these are kept "very private". the 1859 brass cent and the 1985 NZ Mule come to mind and the 1870 25 cent obv 2. I believe there are about 1 Doz. of the NZ mule known (I had one, but sold it. Can post images if interested seeing it)
    This 1872 is certified by NGC and as everyone knows they, inc. our host, would be hard pushed to even make as much as a hint to certify this coin stating its variety. The same goes for ICCS, CCCS. Perhaps ANACS or ICG might??

I am aware that there is "no other known" according to publications. but that does not mean that there are none around, hiding perhaps unrecognized for what they are, in some collections.
    I know of 2 other collectors who have at least one each. One claims he has two. I am not doubting him at all as he only obtains the rarest of the scarcest and usually buys / sells incognito.

The other issue is this about this coin: The markers for the obv 1 are about as close as it most likely ever will get. It is not 100% as pictured as an obv 1 on the 1871 coin in Charlton. we are talking a difference of fractions of Milimeters.
    But it is for sure better measured "hair diameters" than milimeters. And it is not a obv 2. By a mile not, that mile being that missing fraction of hair, that is for sure.
    The other 2 I am aware of are exactly the same as mine in appearance and have the exact same markers and properties.
    None of these 2 is graded and as long as they are owned by these collectors, will never see a TPG.

A few years back I had this coin on an other forum. The membership there , including a moderator, were extremely critical as the coin is not certified as a obv 1 by a Canadian TPG. The posts were very aggressive and to a point that I suggested for them to post a better example of a obv 1, or simply, and based on my pictures, to stop criticising and prove that it is not a obv 1, but a obv 2, or accept the fact that it is a obv 1. Although every poster wanted to be an expert, Nobody could or would post another or better example. Nobody also did say that it is a obv 2.
    So, we are in sort of a limbo here. For me, and a couple of other high end collectors, unless someone positively proves it to be a obv 2, or any other obverse, it is a obverse1!

I am reasonably sure that Brian at ICCS would know it is NOT a obv 2. hence it would be logical to say it is a obv 1.
    but will he? Or how about saying it is a obv 1a, as it is with some 1 cent pieces.
    I believe the better success outlook would be with CCCS, as Louis often indicates what , as a fact, he actually does see and hence can honestly state . I will also chaat with the other 2 owners of the same coin to see what they think.
    I have a whole bunch of top coins going to ICCS soon. when these come back, the best will then go for x-grade to CCCS into a hard slab. (it might just slip in with the bunch (removed from the slab as a raw coin)

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice looking coin and quite an achievement to get this far in the series.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

edited August 22, 2019 1:19PM