Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just a coin geek's report from the CSNS Show...

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 28, 2017 8:36PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guy's, Here's my short report.
Got there minutes before they opened (10:00) Stayed for approx. 5 -6 Hrs.
I don't know, too me the show wasn't exciting as I thought it would be. Maybe, it is just me? Anyway, Today wasn't the success visits as in the past couple shows. Sure, they can't all be winners for Cherrypicking individuals such as myself every time. No real great finds as to Quarters, Cents, Morgan's or even Proof Sets. I noticed Proof Sets were missing at many tables. Dealers just decided not to bring them along, I guess? So finding any "Close AM" varieties couldn't be found for the lack of their presence. Only one good Cherry I did find and that was a Walker 1945 "Missing Initials" NGC graded too! Also, a good eventful time talking with the King of Flying Eagles and Indian Cents, Rick Snow. Nice guy! He showed me a newly acquired coin of his. It was a PCGS 1858 FE MS 67. It was Beauuutiful. We were gabbing about a potential variety I found days before the Show.
It's an 1858 FE " Large Letters" DDO in "America". I forgot to bring to the show. I was trying to describe to Rick the Coin and if he thinks It is the real DD. I told him it looks doubled but also MD at the same time. He told me the bad news that if it doesn't have serif splits, it probably isn't the DDO in his book.
Oh well, here's the pic of my show find, the Walker.
One More Thing.. I did have a great lunch at the Hotel's Steak joint in a beautiful and cozy restaurant within the elegant Hotel. Mmmm! Also, You have to hand it to whomever decided to have the convention here. This Hotel in Schaumburg (The Renaissance) is certainly top notch. Some of the waterfalls there, indoors and outdoors, are worth more money than I spent on coins in my lifetime! Comfort is key in that lobby alright. I hope they keep the Central States there. <3

I paid only $40

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, you had fun and did find something to buy. Remember too that you're not the only one looking.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2017 6:20PM

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    Well, you had fun and did find something to buy. Remember too that you're not the only one looking.

This is true! I did miss the first day too, you're correct. Thanks ;)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2017 8:12PM

Something else I found out today at the Show. A table had a 1956p Washington Quarter in a PCGS Holder with the "B Reverse" Variety titled on the slab. It was a 66MS. I was wondering what his price would be. He told me, "It's listed for $250, but I'll give it to 'ya for $200". Just wanted to see the actual prices for these PCGS Varieties. Right now I have 4. The 1957, 58, 59 and the 62. All in the raw and all in BU Condition. I'm waiting to find the other 5 in BU to complete the Series. Seeing what crazy prices these go for, I'll be Slabbing all 9!
    One More Thing... That's another item I couldn't track down today. Any of the remaining "B" Reverses to add on to the 4 I have now. :)

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

You cherry pickin' so and so!

;)

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report and acquisitions.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite people are coin geeks. We are grounded and well rounded.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Something else I found out today at the Show. A table had a 1956p Washington Quarter in a PCGS Holder with the "B Reverse" Variety titled on the slab. It was a 66MS. I was wondering what his price would be. He told me, "It's listed for $250, but I'll give it to 'ya for $200". Just wanted to see the actual prices for these PCGS Varieties. Right now I have 4. The 1957, 58, 59 and the 62. All in the raw and all in BU Condition. I'm waiting to find the other 5 in BU to complete the Series. Seeing what crazy prices these go for, I'll be Slabbing all 9!
    One More Thing... That's another item I couldn't track down today. Any of the remaining "B" Reverses to add on to the 4 I have now. :)

Good report. Glad you found something. Sorry I missed meeting you. I have one of the B reverse quarters. I will check and see if it is one you need.

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Should have bought the 56 Type b at that price it was a steal. Price guide is at 775 and the pops on the 56 in MS 66 is 7 with only one MS 67 Graded. Thank's for the Report and good luck with putting that set together.

Enjoy Tom

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins ...Good report. Glad you enjoyed the show... always best to get there on opening day though. Great that you had time to talk to Rick Snow... he certainly is the expert in the IHC/FE field. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks guys! You know what? The more I'm thinking now, it wasn't the '56, it was the '57. I am aware of the '56 more harder to come by. Yeah, it was the '57 MS 66. Thanks again for all the info. and the good words! ;)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@joeykoins said:

Good report. Glad you found something. Sorry I missed meeting you. I have one of the B reverse quarters. I will check and see if it is one you need.

Why, thank you Sir! Yeah, sorry to miss you and the others as well. You know, you get all caught up in the "Coin searching thing" and you tend to have tunnel vision. That is only setting the mind on the hunt. Esp. if your time is limited, such as mine. Sorry, guys.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2017 3:00PM

@ricko said:
    @joeykoins ...Good report. Glad you enjoyed the show... always best to get there on opening day though. Great that you had time to talk to Rick Snow... he certainly is the expert in the IHC/FE field. Cheers, RickO

Yep, meeting Rick for the very first time was a delight. As also I'm sure meeting other forum members would be too. Imagine, try to Cherrypick from one of the greatest Cherrypickers of all time? LOL

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Thanks guys! You know what? The more I'm thinking now, it wasn't the '56, it was the '57. I am aware of the '56 more harder to come by. Yeah, it was the '57 MS 66. Thanks again for all the info. and the good words! ;)

IMO $200 is overpriced for a 1957 in that grade. If it had been a 56 I would say buy it then run like you stole it.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

@morgandollar1878 said:

@joeykoins said:

IMO $200 is overpriced for a 1957 in that grade. If it had been a 56 I would say buy it then run like you stole it.

This is why I'm thinking that the coin was not the 1956. The Dealer wouldn't say it listed for$250. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file