1928-F $2.00 Note Fr.1507: The UNIQUE hand-cut PCGS-68 PPQ with Proof-sized margins just graded!

Comments

• DFrohmanDFrohman Posts: 21
    edited March 18, 2017 4:12AM

The term "Unique" is often casually thrown-around but, today, I am pleased to offer what is legitimately one of the most unique and attractive American currency items!

Offered for your consideration is an Fr. 1507 $2.00 Legal Tender note, hand-cut to perfection with unique Proof-sized margins from an original "D-A" block sheet!

There are no examples at the "68" level of this Fr. number that have ever been graded by PMG, and apparently only a few examples graded "68" by PCGS (none of which have the extraordinary margins and, hence, look of this note).

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but, that said, I can't imagine a more stunning and attractive small-sized two-dollar note! Much less in a Series 1928!

None of the PCGS Registry sets have any Fr. 1507 graded higher than a PCGS-67 (much less a 68 with Proof-sized margins),
    and this would obviously be a unique trophy addition to the single finest "Registry Set"!

This note was only first graded by PCGS this week, and this is the first time is has ever been seen by the public (you)!

It is difficult to put a price on a unique item such as this with no comparables, but I think that this gem is well worth my asking price of $2495.00.

Please feel free to give me a call in Atlanta at (770) 910-9100, and I would be delighted to chat with you about it.

Thank you for your kind attention!

David Frohman

• gnatgnat Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭

While a very nice note, it is unfortunate to see an uncut sheet sacrificed to get such over-sized margins. Generally, many collectors find these "cut from sheet over-sized margin" notes less desirable than BEP cut notes of a similar grade.

edited March 18, 2017 5:18AM

edited March 18, 2017 5:30AM

@gnat said:
    While a very nice note, it is unfortunate to see an uncut sheet sacrificed to get such over-sized margins. Generally, many collectors find these "cut from sheet over-sized margin" notes less desirable than BEP cut notes of a similar grade.

A bit more should be said about this particular sheet.

The overall condition of the sheet was only so-so and, if I had simply cut all of the notes to a standard size, then I would have ended-up with a large quantity of generic mid-range notes that the market has more than enough of.

Instead, I viewed this sheet as an uncut diamond that presented the possibility of created several absolute trophies from. While I did expect two gem notes, I was delighted to win the "lottery", so to speak, with the Superb Gem New - 68 note!

The other material on the sheet was also not destroyed. For example, I am also now offering this strip of three (and observe that it did not receive the "PPQ" designation) for $275.00.

Hence, everything on the sheet was not created equal, and that had to be taken into consideration. The same sheet that produced one of the finest small-sized two-dollar notes also produced a strip that could not even get a "PPQ" designation!!

Hence, not all is "cut and dry" (pun intended) :D

Happily, what we now have with this $275.00 offering is a neat strip of three that is completely affordable to a collector who loves sheets, but cannot afford the steep four-figure price to obtain one!

This strip is a perfect (and affordable) solution that is now available to them, and I am happy to be of service B)

• delistampsdelistamps Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭

Nice note, but whoever cut it destroyed up to eight other notes in the process. What a shame.

edited March 18, 2017 5:22AM

There is just something that I love about having huge margins that really frame a note. For example, I formally owned the first Federal Reserve Proof Set presented by the Secretary of the Treasury to launch the Federal Reserve System.

I was drawn to it, in-turn, by the amazing margins on the notes (please see the below images).

And, as an aside and with all due modesty, when I speak of "Proof Margins" on these "Legal Tender" notes for sale, I actually do have (smile) a bit of first-hand experience B) B) B)

edited March 18, 2017 5:08AM

Of course, certain world-class sheets should NEVER be cut given their historical importance, such as this Series 1928 Serial Number 1 sheet that I formally owned!

B) B) B) B) B)

edited March 18, 2017 5:28AM

And here is the sister gem note to the Superb Gem New - 68 note offered above. This example bears the wonderful hand-cut proof-sized margins, and is graded Superb Gem New - 67. It is accordingly offered at $1695.00!

Out of the millions of early small-sized two dollar notes that still exist, only two notes exist in the world (this and the above-offered note) that were created with dramatic and breathtaking proof-sized margins when cut from the sheet!

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭

I am enjoying this thread :)

• Excellent :)

And now you just need to change your personal photo from a "5" to a "2", and acquire the aforementioned Gem-68 note!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

• delistampsdelistamps Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭

Do you still have D39552358A?

• @delistamps said:
    Do you still have D39552358A?

I believe that I do, and will have all of the notes back from PCGS by Monday. Please feel free to send me a private message to discuss, or give me a call.

Thanks!

David

• An interesting comparison B)

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2017 1:54PM

"Proof Sized Margins"
    Is this a coin term trying to be used in small size currency?

• No, it is the term used to describe proof impressions of currency (and please see the above 1914 "Proof Set" for perhaps the ultimate example of proof notes).

• Proof notes, in-turn, typically have very striking broad and perfect margins, which are rarely seen on currency cut by the BEP for circulation. Hence, the extreme rarity of these two notes.

• gnatgnat Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2017 4:22AM

While true BEP issued proof notes are truly amazing items, these artificially created items are not particularly impressive. The 67 note without the oversized margins you show is far more desirable to most collectors than the 67 with the oversized ones. Rare is a misnomer in this context.

But, to each their own.

Shame about the rest of the sheet.

• Sorry, I disagree, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

I should be able to get a really great price, then, on the 1913 Liberty Nickel and the like as no one will want them. After all, it is a bogus and unofficial coin that was artificially - created!!

Personally, if I had a choice between the two notes I will clearly take this broadly - margined example!

And the rest of the sheet sends its regards this morning, and says that it is doing quite well, thank you :D

B) B) B) B) B) B)

Thank you,
    I have never heard the term "Proof" in my decades of collecting small size and $2 USNs/sheets nor have any books on Small Size notes used the term "Proof" before.

edited March 20, 2017 2:03PM

Bottom line:

If you have an interest in these notes, then please call me and lets chat. Otherwise, thank you for your comments, and I stand by mine. The notes stand on their own merits! B)

• @synchr said:
    Thank you,
    I have never heard the term "Proof" in my decades of collecting small size and $2 USNs/sheets nor have any books on Small Size notes used the term "Proof" before.

Try reading "U.S. Essay, Proof, and Specimen Notes" by Gene Hessler!! B)

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭

"Proof" is generally known to paper money collectors as a what is more accurately described as "printer's proof" They are actually more common with European and British banknotes. I own several printer's proofs from Scottish banking history and they were not created for collectors, are not cut out of sheets etc.

Cutting notes out of sheets to sell them individually, even with larger margins, is just wrong. I am disappointed that PCGS would even grade these as such, they should get at least an apparent designation etc to discourage further foolery.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016
  • @SaorAlba said:
    "Proof" is generally known to paper money collectors as a what is more accurately described as "printer's proof" They are actually more common with European and British banknotes. I own several printer's proofs from Scottish banking history and they were not created for collectors, are not cut out of sheets etc.

Cutting notes out of sheets to sell them individually, even with larger margins, is just wrong. I am disappointed that PCGS would even grade these as such, they should get at least an apparent designation etc to discourage further foolery.

I did not say that these were "Proof" notes: rather, I said that they were cut with proof-sized oversized margins. The two notes are remarkable, and I stand by my opinion! B)

The huge number of superlatives used is a tell tale of great salesmanship, GLWS!