Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're the underbidder at least you're within striking distance.

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

My goodness. I'm breaking my rule about definitively grading a coin by a picture - No Way, No Way, that coin is a 67.
    No Way.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Allcoins... True story ... I once bid about $27,000 at a Heritage sale chasing an upgrade coin that was worth around $4,500 or so in the current grade it was being sold at (and $50,000 - $65,000 roughly one grade up). I was outbid, stopped bidding and was the direct underbidder on the coin. After the auction, I congratulated the winning bidder who thanked me for stopping where I did as he told me he was prepared to go to $45,000 for the easy upgrade that the coin was and (in a friendly manner) went on to say how happy he was that I essentially "didn't have big ones". And, he had a good point!

Moral of the story ...

Just because the coin sold at under $300 does not mean you had virtually Any chance to actually win the coin for less than perhaps $3,000 - $3,500 (who knows the true number). As, last year, when the coin sold for sub-$300, it was worth about $5,000 as an MS67FBL and today it is probably around a $4,000 coin.

You just can't worry about coins like this as you never know what they would have cost you to win in the end, Or, whether you would have even been content with the coin upgrading 1 1/2 points and stopping at an MS66+FBL for your collection for that matter.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a problem with that coin as a 67. The luster and color seem amazing in the trueview:

-

• Options

The coin sold for 1/2 of the 66 price. The auction pictures did not do it justice and I can see why you stopped bidding there. In hand I'll bet it is lovely.

• Options

The Trueview is too pretty. Go look at the Heritage pics. There is planchet chatter all over the cheek, a hit on the cheek, some in the hair, more planchet chatter on the reverse. No way. If this coin is 67, I need to regrade my coins into a whole bunch of 68s.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at the coin in the 65fbl holder and thinking to myself, "Wow, first time in a while that I've seen a conservatively graded Frankie". Seeing it in a 67fbl holder is unfortunately where the grading has gone these days. Let's just say, IMO it's not a 67. Mighty purty '48 ya' got there RonY!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being the underbidder can sometimes be a blessing.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2017 6:42AM

Heritage images

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beauty whatever the grade!

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

With that chatter MS 65 might be a bit harsh but MS 67 is certainly a no go. Still pretty color.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options

If it sells for 67 money, I guess we will have our answer. I like it.

• Options

I like it too, just not as a 67.

ACR has a good eye for Frankies.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

1948 was the first year for Franklin halves. How are the dies?

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

That, in a nutshell, is why I no longer collect Franklins nor any PCGS graded coins. Gradeflation is ruining the hobby.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SkyMan said:
    I was looking at the coin in the 65fbl holder and thinking to myself, "Wow, first time in a while that I've seen a conservatively graded Frankie". Seeing it in a 67fbl holder is unfortunately where the grading has gone these days. Let's just say, IMO it's not a 67. Mighty purty '48 ya' got there RonY!

Maybe all of those dealers and collectors peddling the "old blue holders" that are more conservatively graded were on to something. lol

• Options

I just got back from the Balty show today and got to view this coin at the Heritage table. Very pretty coin, love the purple toning, nice luster. Undergraded when it was in a 65 holder.

I still do not think this coin is deserved of a 67 grade. By old standards (10 - 15 years ago), no way this coin is a 67. I think there has been some gradeflation with the Frankies in the recent years, but even recognizing that , this coin still belongs in a 66 holder.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

In with the crowd that there is no way this Franklin is MS67. Kind of makes me sick to see it with that grade, and I wouldn't buy it with free money. In the old grade yeah maybe so.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of the Franklin's I've seen....this is a 66 with a bump to 67 because of color.

Kind of funny that color can cost you a straight grade......OR.....it can give you an extra grade. When in fact it should have NO impact on the grade either way.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like my 1948. It's one of the few coins I'm tempted to send in for grading, cuz it looks a hell of a lot better in hand.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AllCoinsRule said:
    I could do an "upgrade of the day" thread each day with a different coin and I bet I could keep it going well over a year...

Today's coin, a 53-s Franklin, on coinfacts as an ms66 (maybe a $150 coin?) and then again... as an ms67+ (pop 2, maybe $3500+) .

That is a beautiful mullet worthy of a 67!

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Full crack and bell. VAlue sores! Send it in for sure.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

48 Frankies dies were fresh and most 48's are hammered and clean.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

@Wabbit2313 said:
    If it sells for 67 money, I guess we will have our answer. I like it.

Well, there you have it. Bidders liked the coin and paid up. You should have spent the couple hundred extra bucks I guess!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2017 6:10AM

Coin needs a dip. U may be able to get the spots off w dip soaked Q tip tap gently. Otherwise conservation service - these are not free nor responsibility of a TPG. Sort of like the day a new car leaves the dealership driveway it depreciates lol.

This is the problem w long term hold. I try to churn my inventory as fast as possible. Newsflash - coins are not a long term hold.

Tarnish or what the promoters call toning is a reaction w temperature and the atmosphere.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2017 5:20PM

@AllCoinsRule said:
    I could do an "upgrade of the day" thread each day with a different coin and I bet I could keep it going well over a year...

Today's coin, a 53-s Franklin, on coinfacts as an ms66 (maybe a $150 coin?) and then again... as an ms67+ (pop 2, maybe $3500+) .

That coin in 66 is worth at least $275.

Also, I find it funny how people tout PCGS as the gold standard for consistency and accuracy in grading.
    Personally, I believe their consistency is a joke at best.
    One thing PCGS is the gold standard for is gradeflation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file