Home U.S. Coin Forum

NEW PHOTOS How common are laser frost error coins? Neat Marine commemorative error?

tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 3, 2017 7:16AM in U.S. Coin Forum

3MAY17: I posted original thread awhile back, regarding a patch in the field that I suspected was caused by the frost laser going haywire. Meanwhile, I obtained one of those USB microscope/cameras another poster mentioned, and took some closeup photos using that to try to further determine patch status. (that camera works great!) The first two photos show the patch in the field, and an example of the rim area. The third photo show regular frost area on the device (where you can see patterns in the frost). Note that a piece of paper is observable in the photos; this was needed since the LED lighting on camera totally washed out details; with paper blocking some of the LEDs allowed details to show up.

The patch and the rim areas sure look to me like they have the patterns that can be seen in the regular frost patterns on devices. Given that frost errors are usually a 'shift' in the frost area, anyone know of any other examples of this type, where it appears the laser just had some spasms and went haywire? Or... any other explanations for this type of defect?

Perhaps more of these were out there, but sent back as defective? Does not appear to be a simple strike through to me anyways...

ORIGINAL POST: I had purchased a few of the Marine commems when they came out in 2005. One I had marked as defective, but overlooked sending it back to the Mint. Took a closer look at it... and it appears to potentially be caused by the laser frost process. Actually composed of small patterns/dots just like on the frosted devices. Mostly apparent around the rims, but has a nice patch near center reverse.

Any opinions if this is what it is? Are these very common (do they have any value?) thanks...

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/fxs5k6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/29w97kk.jpg[/IMG

----- kj

Comments

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grrrrrrr!!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious to know they have value too. Neat error. Thanks for sharing the photos.

• CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2017 3:55PM

Photo help :)

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2017 4:14PM

The anomaly along the rim appears to be a result of a contaminant on the planchet and was spread during strike, though I could be wrong.

The anomaly in the field could be what you suspect it to be. However, I don't know if another example of that type of error has been identified yet. There has been off-set frosting and frost inaccurately applied to the fields connected to design elements. Maybe the experts that look at these photos could determine if yours is a frosting error or simply a small struck through. I cannot.

Certainly, if this is a frosting error, there will be others out there.

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2017 4:30PM

I originally assumed it was a strike through also, until I took a closer look. The 'dotted' pattern sure seems to match the pattern for the frosted devices and rim. The patches at the rim also have the 'dotted' pattern, but not over the entire surface; mainly apparent on the edges of the patch farthest away from the rim (it is not easy to see since my camera focused on the rim, so patch is somewhat blurry).

It's almost like a 'chemical frost' of some sort was applied (or mis-applied as the case may be).

I'm pretty sure it is not any type of post mint damage, as I am the original owner of item.

----- kj

Another note... there is no discoloration as commonly seen with strike through contaminants. Just appears to be whitish area/pattern etched on the mirror fields. got me puzzled anyways.

----- kj
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is puzzling... maybe Fred W. will look at this and give us his opinion.... Cheers, RickO

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, the large crescent is damage, the tine marks in the field are from die wear (proof spikes), and the stain looking flow from the rim looks like it was caused by strike through. I've seen all of these on actual coins and I personally downgrade them as defects.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know how to edit spelling errors. :( "tiny marks in the field."

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

One would think that the laser frosted coin die went through a rigorous inspection before being put into service...that and the actual proofs random inspection to assure collectability rules out some of the anomalies.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

@WoodenJefferson said:
    One would think that the laser frosted coin die went through a rigorous inspection before being put into service...that and the actual proofs random inspection to assure collectability rules out some of the anomalies.

One would think so. But... perhaps a die slipped through (assuming the defects were caused by laser process) briefly, then was found and removed after discovering problem when inspecting coins? This would assume some defective coins were missed.... but that is why I am posting here, to get the experts opinions...

----- kj
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg - Using the @ feature would be the best route to draw someone's attention to a specific thread. I'd be interested in his opinion on this as well.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what this is - tough to know just by the photos.

I don't think it's a 'frosted die' error issue - more like a
    stain/liquid of some type that was on the die or planchet
    and manifested itself in the field, and from the rim to the stars.

It's one of those pieces that someone will have to look at
    in-hand at a show to make a final determination as to what
    caused this effect.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Many thanks Fred... appreciate the input! As always... you are the go to guy!

----- kj

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file