Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My 1909 VDB Matte Proof DISCOVERY! (Stacks Baltimore 3/30/17)

CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 15, 2017 1:12PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hey guys, this has been somewhat discussed at the latter end of the clerical error MPL thread but it's time to start a dedicated thread to my authentic find!

I found it last November in the wild and PCGS correctly attributed it shortly after, giving it PR66RB. It's so close to RD though! Then it went to CAC and got the green! It's a gorgeous, almost completely untoned specimen, that survived the last century raw and darn near untouched until I had the privilege to find him sitting in a 2x2 album pretending to be a 1909p business strike. It will be in the Stacks Baltimore auction 3/29 - 3/31 2017 next month for you MPL guys to check out. A true high-grade wild find that hasn't been to auction, or seen, ever!

It is the Coinfacts plate pic for the grade / designation

-Chris

Coin World article:

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2017/02/common-1909-vdb-lincoln-cent-turns-out-to-be-rare-matte-proof.all.html#

The more you VAM..

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ole keets just thinks he's "living the dream"! You da man Chris!!!

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Can't wait to see it in hand!

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

WTG, Chris. You have a sharp eye and deserve the accolades.

I hope the coin fetches a handsome price!
    Lance.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2017 12:50PM

@CascadeChris said:
    It's a gorgeous, almost completely untoned specimen, that survived the last century raw and darn near untouched until I had the privilege to find him sitting in a 2x2 album pretending to be a 1909p business strike. It will be in the Stacks Baltimore auction 3/29 - 3/31 2017 next month for you MPL guys to check out. A true high-grade wild find that hasn't been to auction, or seen, ever!

Great story and congrats! What a find!

Here's the CoinFacts image to assist in looking for the markers!

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa!!!!! Congrats Chris, now your a Local Hero as well ;)

• Options

I actually saw it-nice coin!

• Options
    deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

Wonderful! Congratulations and Kudos on a great find. Very happy for you and your friend!

Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super,super cool!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. One gorgeous piece my friend. You do have a refined eye.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a find and score! Congratulations

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're the man Chris- not sure if Cherrypicks can get much better than that! Congratulations!

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Great eye!

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    BLee23BLee23 Posts: 335 ✭✭✭

Sure looks RD in the CoinFacts image... Nice coin!

Successful BST Transactions: sinin1, Kryptonitecomics, seemyauction, RyGuy, cucamongacoin, holeinone1972, Ciccio, sbeverly, Gerard, Topstuf, Downtown1974, CaptHenway, PerryHall, Barndog, LukeMarshall, Cent1225, commoncents05, Soldi, SurfinxHI
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool! I love stories like this!

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks red to me - congrats and great story and find.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2017 7:08PM

Thanks guys! I only sent it in once so if the new owner wants to try for RED that's up to them. Honestly though, I really thought it would get it too. Might make for some exciting bidding!

What I like about it is that it's so colorless. Usually these are toned to a good degree at anywhere from unappealing to beautiful so this one is really going to appeal to those that are looking for a high-grade example with as little color as possible!

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's so cool man, good for you!

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find! What's the story about finding it in an album? Is that in another thread you can link? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Options
    edited February 19, 2017 7:45PM

My dealer friend honestly can't remember exactly where or when he got this particular album. His best guess was that it had to be part of a bulk lot he picked up as he does that often.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously a real expert on these.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy Mackerel!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2017 9:09PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    Cue Stewart saying it's a POS. ;)

Followed by Stewart bidding on it

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a great eye Chris!

Mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the thrill all of us "Lincoln guys" want to experience, and you did it!
    I'm glad your knowledge and perseverence paid off.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

You suck... In a good way of course. Congrats on such a wonderful find.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Chris...that is amazing. What a great find....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful story and a beautiful find, dude! I know why you found such a coin. It's because of your honesty! When you first found it in that 2x2, you quickly pointed it out to the owner. Your honesty paid off. We need more collector's such as yourself. Congratulations. -joey ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@joeykoins said:
    Beautiful story and a beautiful find, dude! I know why you found such a coin. It's because of your honesty! When you first found it in that 2x2, you quickly pointed it out to the owner. Your honesty paid off. We need more collector's such as yourself. Congratulations. -joey ;)

Thanks. If I was at a show or LCS and came across it being sold as a business strike that's one thing but in this case it belonged to a friend that I was technically working for checking his coins for varieties so not calling him never crossed my mind.

When I called him I asked if he was sitting down and he told me he was out walking his dog. I told him to find a utility box or pop a seat on the curb... His reaction was utter disbelief. I had to almost convince him, repeatedly :smile:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2017 8:49AM

Like I said, " Beautiful"!!! Your story inspires all of us here to be on the lookout. I love this Hobby. <3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice piece indeed!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Great read...thanks for sharing such a wonderful find!

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!!

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris, it was great seeing you and talking with you at the Long Beach show, and hearing your story of how you recognized this rare Matte Proof in that set. What a fantastic find and so astute of you to identify it! I also enjoyed reading the story in Coin World. It's one of those "once in a lifetime" type of events. Congratulations, you deserve a lot of kudos for this one!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2017 4:28AM

@ThePennyLady said:
    Chris, it was great seeing you and talking with you at the Long Beach show, and hearing your story of how you recognized this rare Matte Proof in that set. What a fantastic find and so astute of you to identify it! I also enjoyed reading the story in Coin World. It's one of those "once in a lifetime" type of events. Congratulations, you deserve a lot of kudos for this one!

Thanks Charm. I always like talking with you at Long Beach and we had some fun up in Sacramento last year for that future of the hobby conference.

It was such a thrill finding the piece. Now I just need to find the other 8 in the wild :smiley::wink:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another fantastic thread that I somehow missed. :/
    Over the top amazing stuff! Congrats!!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

Can I borrow $10k as I'm trying to catch up on some issues I missed

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. And congratulations! :)

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

A $13,000 mistake in grading?

Should be graded RD imho ...

Pcgs guide jumps from 57k to 70k going from RB to RD at the 66 level

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea why that coin isn't in a red holder. Great find.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file