Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wonders never cease. Another eBay seller just being odd.

affordafford Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

This eBay seller in an effort to talk up his coin is basically saying the following. He has a coin that he bought 20+ years ago (he has his receipt to prove it) from an ole time dealer and author. The catch however is because he bought it from a noted author/dealer he then stretches the description to read that it is pedigreed to the dealer, as if it was part of this dealer's personal collection and not part of investory. The dealer was J.H. Kline and he was the author of the Standing Liberty Quarter Book which he basically is saying is relevant since the coin is a Standing Liberty Quarter. So now any coin that you buy from a dealer said coin will be pedigreed to that dealer, boy that is a lot of coins that will be pedigreed in the future if this eBay seller has his way.

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a bit weird.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

The things collectors and dealers will do for money...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never have cared whether a coin is 'pedigreed' or not... basically, all that is worth is another premium added to the price..... and another chapter in the seller's story.... I would have to REALLY want a coin to even consider buying one with a pedigree. I know, for some collectors, this is important - to each his own. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the issue? Many coins sold by "famous" dealers are pedigreed to those dealers. That may or may not add to the coin's value, at the discretion of the buyer. For example, coins sold by B. Max Mehl with the original envelope are prized by some collectors and will bring a premium.

Collectors who specialize in a series may find it interesting that one of "their" coins was once owned or sold by a dealer who specializes in "their" series. If I were a Standing Liberty quarter collector, I might just pay a premium knowing it was a coin that went through the hands of Mr. Cline. Then again ... I might not.

All coins have a pedigree. Some pedigrees bring attention and others are forgotten.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen a lot worse in eBay descriptions. It doesn't seem like a big deal.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

What is the starting price?

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is J.H. Cline.

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I have the greatest of respect for the late Mr. Cline. I do not know if I would pay a significant premium for a coin simply because it passed through his hands, but I would respect the provenance. I would definitely keep the receipt with the coin and pass it on to the new owner if I sold it.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file