Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is there a market for rare varieties in the Cap & Rays Series

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 11, 2017 10:14PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I've found an over assayer which the book calls "very rare" but is there a market for these and does anyone even care? The coin is original but not especially attractive in a PCGS MS64 holder.

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that you've got the rare one, why not complete the set? ;)

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2017 11:23AM

My own observations have been that, while there are certainly collectors who are seeking out the rarities of this series, overall eye appeal, followed in close concert with originality and grade, are the factors that seemingly drive the greater number of collectors to pick up one of these coins.

Recently, in another series, I observed some columnarios, with an R3 or higher rarity rating as described in Gilboy, get passed over in the bidding at auction.
    In contrast, I've witnessed "common" reales, which possessed strong eye appeal or were in high grade holders, attract a number of bids.

Some of these higher graded reales are on the white side, possessing little toning, or skin if you will. For me personally, when it comes to coinage (columnario) that is 250 years old (+-), I'm not attracted to white coins, yet others very much are. So in the end, unless you are actively collecting the series, it would appear that it's more about acquiring a type coin that appeals to you as an individual, and less about the coin's relative rarity.

That said, aren't we all looking for the trifecta of coins all the time; Originality and Eye Appeal, High Grade and Rarity.

Edit for readers sanity, spelling and to post a highly attractive common example that I own.
    This coin is spectacular in hand

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

There likely is a market and a following for these, the challenge is to either find them or others who have the contacts to get the coin to those seeking it.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a market for everything!

That said, there aren't many people collecting 8Rs by date/assayer/mint at this time.

I recently sold a (circulated) 8R which was absolutely unique--no others known after all these years--for a loss. I had owned it for about 10 years.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. It is a 1878-MO MH/BH

Here is my coin for my type set

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

The series is huge (+700) and getting bigger each year as more varieties are discovered and graded. There are some unique varieties that command a premium but for the most part similar to morgan or peace dollars most varieties do no command a premium. They are some specialty collectors if you can find them that pay premiums for overdates. Heritage recently auctioned a large collection where the collector specialized in the Durango (Do) mint Cap and Rays and the collection included many one of a kind varieties. Some went for premiums but a large percentage did not.

The hobby could use a updated reference on the series. Resplandores is 20 years old and the certification of 8's has matured since then.

Nice coin for the type set. IMO, the grade and color and more appealing that the variety.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding type coin, Brian!

Jeff

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would argue that other than the Hooknecks, varieties are not as popular. However, are likely one of the most collected Mexican coins and I knew people looking for the uncommon varieties on the series.