Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It is time to give all eBay sellers a course on identifying older holders.

affordafford Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know how many times an eBay seller will describe and then provide a photo of a so-called older slab/holder only to be wrong about it. I understand the hype and that they know the older holder sells ....but only if it is a true older holder and not one that isn't. Another waste of time unfortunately on the bay.

Comments

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of what I run into is key word spamming - they know the difference.

I love the occasional "old blue PCGS holder". :lol:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2017 10:15PM

occasional? It's pretty darn frequent! And some regular (non-ebay) dealers use the "old blue holder" phrase frequently. :(

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:
    occasional? It's pretty darn frequent! And some regular (non-ebay) dealers use the "old blue holder" phrase frequently. :(

@Barndog said:

But there are of course "OBH"s that are virtually the same "age" as some "OGHs".

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

A photo tutorial with detailed description would be a real asset to the PCGS reference sites.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, and some of the OGHs had unstable colors that would turn blueish.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:

Well, some are claiming that PCGS was more conservative back then than it is currently. There are parallels to the OGH era.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2017 11:46PM

@afford said:
    and I am talking descriptions of old blue holder pcgs coins that aren't really all that old. Descriptions of supposed old ngc holders that are not the older no line fatty holders or any holder close to that era. And the descriptions using the old small white anacs holder that aren't really old, they are just in the small white holder but have digits that are greater than 6 which means they were submitted right before the holders went blue which is not really all the long ago, circa mid 2000's to a little after if memory serves. They will stretch the truth. change the facts to support their higher asking price or to gain that attention for more vigorous bidding.

It's all marketing whether it is OBH or OGH, etc.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems the thing to do is leave PCGS out of the title but enter it under "Item specifics" from the drop down box. The items show up in PCGS searches even though it's not in the title.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

The only thing I see is OGH in the titles

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Then you have collectors like myself... I just don't care about the holder.... period. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Then you have collectors like myself... I just don't care about the holder.... period. Cheers, RickO

Agree, agree, agree...Did I just give you another star? ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not yet @grip.... I am not sure there is another star.... if there is, I am sure it is in the far distant future.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where to draw the line on old holder with PCGS? Rattler, old green label holder? With NGC, "fattie" or low six figures cert. number?

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

And yet, so many of the sellers don't have a clue. They call ICG ANACS. They try to sell NGC OGH. Best or worse recent insult was calling an ICG slab ACG.

Browsing for dingbats is a great way to pass half an hour on the exercise bike.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    WmwoodWmwood Posts: 102 ✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    And yet, so many of the sellers don't have a clue. They call ICG ANACS. They try to sell NGC OGH. Best or worse recent insult was calling an ICG slab ACG.

Browsing for dingbats is a great way to pass half an hour on the exercise bike.

I'm pretty sure most of the sellers who do that know exactly what they are doing. There are very few true "accidents" on Ebay when it relates to powersellers.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got a Old Green that is totally Yellow. :smiley:

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

For sample collectors like me, I root for people not knowing their samples, thinking they are regular holders, and selling them cheap. However, for regular coins, I totally agree.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

PCGS should start to put a "vintage" date on the holders. Just like wines.
    Then we could really become "coin snobs", collecting coins by grade and vintage.
    Which is already occurring for some series in OGH with CAC stickers. ie most gold coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file