Home Precious Metals
Options

UPDATED IN OP-----------Should BU ASE's have scratches and dings ?

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 3, 2017 1:22PM in Precious Metals

**Received a replacement today, 20 beautiful 2012 ASE's

.Just received from a big seller, most have a defect of some magnitude.
First time this has happened.
Is this acceptable, I wouldn't think so myself.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had some come with hairline scratches....possibly from falling onto each other when placed back in tubes? I'm not sure the reason. A ding seems unreasonable if advertised as BU. Have you reached out to the seller yet?

• Options

Yes, they just sent me a return label and will exchange them.
    Half of these had much more than hairlines or 'bag marks', some of these were abused.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some places sell stuff like that as "scrapers" for a reduced price. Seems like those might be even worse than grading rejects. I've rarely gotten such poor coins direct from new tubes. Sounds like someone messed with them somewhere along the line.

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

Picked out the ones to submit & sent you the dregs.

The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options

It was JMB

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bullion or mint marked ones? Bullion is bullion and that includes the no mint marked ASE's.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would send them back. The only rough ASE's I get are when I get them at a show from smaller dealers. Normally, the newer stuff looks pretty good from the big bullion dealers.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the price over melt.... culls should be pretty close... .otherwise, send them back. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Depends on the price over melt.... culls should be pretty close... .otherwise, send them back. Cheers, RickO

I don't believe that a few scratches on bullion ASE's are considered culls.

• Options

These were not culls, they were random year BU ASE's.
    They were abused.
    Sent back today, will update with the replacement.
    Thanks for all of the advice here. :smile:

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    They were abused.

You are fortunate, that JMB allows returns on their common bullion coins (rounds), and bullion ASE's fall in to that category. Most bullion dealers do not & that includes eBay, allow returns for their bullion products. FYI on eBay, bullion coins, rounds or bars, are not subject to the regular "return rules."

• Options

@OPA said:

@1630Boston said:
    They were abused.

You are fortunate, that JMB allows returns on their common bullion coins (rounds), and bullion ASE's fall in to that category. Most bullion dealers do not & that includes eBay, allow returns for their bullion products. FYI on eBay, bullion coins, rounds or bars, are not subject to the regular "return rules."

When they sell junk that isn't labeled as such, then they should accept returns. An ounce of silver is an ounce of silver until it's scratched, dinged or whatever, then it's damaged. To most people it shouldn't matter, but it does.
    Thing is that JMB doesn't buy from the public [unless they changed that or it's a mint-sealed MB] so I wonder who they got that stuff from.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN
    My thoughts exactly, I have never bought a roll of ASE's in such poor shape.
    These were not 'bag marks'...these ranged from scrapes and gouges to some type of wear.
    The fact that they offered to exchange them and pay return postage within 5 minutes of receipt makes me wonder.
    I will let you all know what I receive in return.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2017 11:15AM

A problem sometimes arises if/when you go to sell/resell them. When I buy BU coins or from a new unopened MB, I assume that's what they are. I rarely open the tubes and if I do it's to verify that earlier years are indeed the years that they're supposed to be. I don't dump the tube and PM test each coin. I may add a bit of padding to keep the coins from rattling during future transit. When I go to sell the rolls, I sell them on the same basis as when I bought them. So far, knock on wood, I haven't had any issues. The can have them, but they really shouldn't. A lot of that is PMD or post mint damage.

• Options

I would like to press 'disagree, but I won't. :smile:

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

lol, bronco

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    I would like to press 'disagree, but I won't. :smile:

Disagree if you like I won't start a thread about it I promise :)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver per ounce is just silver. Guess the grade.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Bullion silver per ounce is just silver

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Part (maybe most) of the couple buck "premium" each for ASEs over melt is assumed for them to be nice, say MS68 or better, and "fresh" and "matched" looking if bought in roll quantity.

Any significant blemishes or appearance of them being (relative) cull ASEs would logically reduce this premium both buying and selling, and if the coins are ugly enough, maybe even to slightly below melt (I personally wouldn't pay as much as melt for ugly coins; who's going to buy them from me?)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@Baley said:
    Part (maybe most) of the couple buck "premium" each for ASEs over melt is assumed for them to be nice, say MS68 or better, and "fresh" and "matched" looking if bought in roll quantity.

Any significant blemishes or appearance of them being (relative) cull ASEs would logically reduce this premium both buying and selling, and if the coins are ugly enough, maybe even to slightly below melt (I personally wouldn't pay as much as melt for ugly coins; who's going to buy them from me?)

Agree on your presumption, that if the ASE's are purchased solely for the intent to resell, they should be in decent shape. However, the OP never indicated the reason for purchasing them. In addition. it also depends on the spread above melt paid for. Again, I'm referring to ASE's & not damaged rounds or culled silver coins. Even so called junk ASE's, most likely would not sell below spot.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Baley, with any significant scratches and problems they usually are discounted (from the high premium)
    For the premiums they carry, they indeed should be MS67 and up.

• Options

@asheland said:
    I agree with Baley, with any significant scratches and problems they usually are discounted (from the high premium)
    For the premiums they carry, they indeed should be MS67 and up.

The OP never indicated how much he paid above melt. If he paid the going premium above melt, I would agree that he is entitled to clean coins. If however, he paid the discounted price for: Cull, Damaged, etc. ASE's .. well, that's another story.

• Options

Sounds like we're in vigorous agreement again, OPA! ;)

• Options

FTR, I paid the going premium above melt for these ASE's.
    They were terrible, I will update when the replacement arrives.
    Thanks for all of the input. :smiley:

• Options

(I personally wouldn't pay as much as melt for ugly coins; who's going to buy them from me?)
    Baley....APMEX would be happy to purchase them from you at $1 - $1.50 above spot.

• Options

OPA, my time and energy is worth quite a bit more than that ;)

• Options

@Baley said:
    OPA, my time and energy is worth quite a bit more than that ;)

If that is the case, I suspect you do not bother in bullion ASE's.

• Options

@OPA said:
    (I personally wouldn't pay as much as melt for ugly coins; who's going to buy them from me?)
    Baley....APMEX would be happy to purchase them from you at $1 - $1.50 above spot.

apmex.com/product/6912/1-oz-silver-american-eagle-cull-damaged-etc

You can buy problem-free coins from other places cheaper than what they sell their culls for. Notice that they don't post a buy price. I bet you'd be lucky to get fitty cents over.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

There goes the silver is money theory...

keceph `anah
  • Options

The item # at JMB was scasez01var and it is no longer available on the site ???

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of the things about junk silver that I like. It's pretty much immune to this issue.

• Options

@OPA said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

True, but in the real world it's also true that many are persnickety about the quality of their bullion whether we think it's justified or not.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@OPA said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

True, but in the real world it's also true that many are persnickety about the quality of their bullion whether we think it's justified or not.

Yup, if you're gonna have a pig, might as well make her pretty. ;)

Eventually, as we get older, we realize there is much more beauty in blemish than polish.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    edited January 23, 2017 8:50PM

If it maintains luster, has not been circulated and grades 60 or above it fits the definition of brilliant uncirculated.

• Options

@cohodk said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@OPA said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Yup, if you're gonna have a pig, might as well make her pretty. ;)

Eventually, as we get older, we realize there is much more beauty in blemish than polish.

OINK!
    I once had a dealer wanting to buy a roll of ASEs, but he wanted to cherry the roll and expected me to take back his rejects. SCREW THAT.

There's nothing wrong with stuff like that as long as the seller states what he's selling. As a buyer, one needs to ask too. I had an Illinois dealer here on the boards pull that on me. Sent a roll which was mostly junk. Only way I found out was because the roll broke open in shipping. Fortunately I was able to sell them [along with a bunch of others] to someone who wasn't as persnickety about the quality. I'd just as soon not deal with them.

• Options

@derryb said:
    If it maintains luster, has not been circulated and grades 60 or above it fits the definition of brilliant uncirculated.

But probably not "from a new mint tube". Hard to believe that the mint would ever send out a full tube of dreck coins.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@derryb said:

But probably not "from a new mint tube". Hard to believe that the mint would ever send out a full tube of dreck coins.

Probably culls from what the seller sent in for grading or reselling what they took in. Many of the big bullion dealers submit for grading and sell graded ASEs, don't expect them to sell you their 70s raw.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think all ASEs should be scuffed up and traded at spot. This would save stackers money and all them to accumulate a larger stack. The "grading" game is just another form of wealth distribution.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@derryb said:

And why not? The bullion version of the ASE's were never intended for the coin collecting audience, and are priced accordingly. They produce the mint marked collectors version for that.

• Options

@derryb said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@derryb said:

Probably culls from what the seller sent in for grading or reselling what they took in. Many of the big bullion dealers submit for grading and sell graded ASEs, don't expect them to sell you their 70s raw.

Even the culls from a freshly opened MB at PCGS shouldn't be THAT beaten up. I wonder if someone at PCGS would be willing to comment about that.

• Options

@cohodk said:
    I think all ASEs should be scuffed up and traded at spot. This would save stackers money and all them to accumulate a larger stack. The "grading" game is just another form of wealth distribution.

I don't care about the grading game. One can play it or not. A 69 is a 69 whether it's in a roll or slab. The point is is that the manufacturing process is adequate to where a 69 or 70 quality coin should be the rule and not the exception. The point is that most customers expect near perfect coins. Would you care if your new car had a crappy paint job even tho the mileage, comfort, reliability was the same as the one with the perfect paint job next to it on the same lot? Would you expect a discount for the crappy paint job? Frankly, I'd hate dealing with persnickety nitpickers.

• Options
    edited January 24, 2017 2:19PM

@OPA said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@derryb said:

And why not? The bullion version of the ASE's were never intended for the coin collecting audience, and are priced accordingly. They produce the mint marked collectors version for that.

Ever watch a video of them being made? No reason why there should ever be more than an infrequent dinger/scraper. Frankly, it would be instructive if one could send a roll like the OP got back to the mint and see if they would honestly comment that they would never send out anything that looks like that.

Also, I'd like to see a roll of rejects that APMEX gets back from their YUGE PCGS submission. I bet they're nothing like what the OP says he got from JMBullion. If people don't care about what their stuff looks like that's their right, but to say that others should't care is just wrong.

i don't care one way or tuther, but there are those who do.

• Options
    edited January 24, 2017 2:46PM

bottom line: did the coins meet the definition of BU or was the buyers expectation of BU too high?

BU includes MS60 or higher while GEM BU includes MS65 or higher.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    bottom line: did the coins meet the definition of BU or was the buyers expectation of BU too high?

BU includes MS60 or higher while GEM BU includes MS65 or higher.

Not to pick on Derryb, as it just happens that his post is the most recent...and others have asked the same thing........

but, are you guys NOT READING what the OP has stated in his posts? He said some of the coins (1/2) appeared to have been abused. Abused does NOT = "bu" to me. Congrats if it does to you.

He also said, in a post above from Jan 22 (2 days ago) that some of them appeared to have WEAR (wear does NOT = bu).

"These were not 'bag marks'...these ranged from scrapes and gouges to some type of wear."

So, guys, just reading what was previously written, they were NOT ALL BU

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    edited January 24, 2017 3:41PM

pics would solve the mystery. My assumption is that OP may have been expecting high end BU but received low end BU. BU ranges much lower than many realize.Big name sellers of ASEs described by the OP usually make it clear that they are "damaged."

Were they advertised as BU?

Post a few clear pics of them.

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    The item # at JMB was scasez01var and it is no longer available on the site ???

Well they still have them. Looks like $2.69 over for less than 5 rolls. That's a hefty price for culls since you can often find deals for new unopened rolls for less than that. I suppose it's also possible that whoever picked your order pulled stock from the wrong bin if you didn't specifically order the cull stuff.

jmbullion.com/american-silver-eagle-cull/

• Options

Now that we know they sell culls, sounds like they mixed up the OP's order for BU coins. Also sounds like they are making good with him.