Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

References for Dave Emslie/Prospector's Gold and Gems?

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
edited January 20, 2017 2:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi gang,

Long time since I've been on the forum. i see the format has changed. Anyway...

I'm looking for references for Dave Emslie of Ft Collins, CO.

Comments

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know Dave quite well. We sometimes share table space at some shows. I engrave the small dies that he uses for his fractional 1/10-oz gold "Prospector" coins. You apparently talked to one of his employees. In my opinion you would be safe buying and having items sent to you by mail. APMEX carries some PG&G products, and those are continually produced by PG&G and shipped to APMEX.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know the specific situation but I do know Dave well and I can tell you that he's a stand up guy if it helps.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

DC, please comment on DE. The way I figure it, you and DE are a business relationship, i.e., supplier - producer.

Am I wrong?

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2017 2:40PM

Thanks for the comments.

• Options

@epcjimi1 said:
    DC, please comment on DE. The way I figure it, you and DE are a business relationship, i.e., supplier - producer.

Am I wrong?

I buy raw metal (gold/silver) for minting from PG&G. Often, the gold was recently mined in Colorado and refined by PG&G. A few years ago we both offered 16mm gold/silver/platinum/palladium coins with the same basic designs. But now we have our separate product lines. He has the kneeling prospector and I have Clark Gruber. I engrave a new die each year for PG&G.
    That is the extent of it.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr. Carr, could you post to us a video of you engraving a die? would love to see the set up, and such. Can't imagine doing it myself as I have absolutely no artist talent but do appreciate art and the talent that goes with it.
    thanks,
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm mostly a collector but also a causal dealer. About 90/10. I occasionally split a table with him at Long Beach. I can't speak to this specific situation but Dave does do a ton of business. If you don't feel comfortable go to someone else but he is a great contact to have for anything PM related.

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@AUandAG said:
    Mr. Carr, could you post to us a video of you engraving a die? would love to see the set up, and such. Can't imagine doing it myself as I have absolutely no artist talent but do appreciate art and the talent that goes with it.
    thanks,
    bob

I have never produced anything like that. If I ever do, I will post it. I can say that the engraving part is pretty straight forward. The difficult and "artistic" part is actually the sculpting.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file