Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Acquired this "Our Little Monitor" token, thoughts?

I was looking for one to add to my son's/mine Numismatic Curiosities collection and stumbled upon this one already in a PCGS holder :)

Are there much nicer ones to be found out there in the wild (e.g. raw), or is this an acceptable piece as is? It looks really nice/original to me, but I'm by no means an expert in this issue.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

I think that's an excellent Little Monitor example.
    It's a popular piece and yours has a nice strike and pretty toning, especially on the reverse anchor.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Are you kidding? That's about as nice as you'll ever find this great Civil War token. I love it all day long.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

She's a stone-cold drop-dead beauty!

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks familiar. Did this belong to Lord Marcovan?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just fantastic...that's an excellent addition to your collection.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice token....as good or rather better than those I have seen at shows... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

You always have had a good eye MB

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Looks familiar. Did this belong to Lord Marcovan?

No it did not. His did look nice as well. I pinged him about it.

Thank you for the kind words all. I appreciate your input :)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2017 6:40AM

As has become the case with coins, many of the better Civil War Tokens have been certified. The piece you have purchased is very nice.

Here the example of the same variety that is in my collection. This piece is raw.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is history!

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks great! As far as finding anything raw. It depends on where you are .
    You definitely won't find one in my area.

• Options

If you want to step up to something rarer, here is one of the Indiana Primitive Monitor varieties. These tokens were made by a Henry D. Higgins who used a Monitor token to impress the image of the Union ironclad to the face of his die. The result was a piece with slightly less detail.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very nice example! good details and nice color. here's mine:
    Monitor F237/423a obv photo MonitorF237423aobv.jpg
    Monitor F237/423a rev photo MonitorF237423arev.jpg

Bill's "primitive" piece is really an outstanding example, probably as nice as those get. I've been looking for one for a while and they always seem to have much weaker strikes, bad dings, etc.

• Options

Admin, can you delete this thread?
    PLEASE!!!!
    It is consuming me and now I'm stuck on lookiing and relooking and then doing it again.
    I consider it mental cruelty and the least you could do is offer professional help.

DAMN! That is a cool thingie!

:'(

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to say t's a nice example however it looks like a super slider.

For educational purposes the highest points of this token design are shown in red and look like they have rub.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2017 9:51AM

Take a good look at the example Kaz posted.

It's a bit of a weaker strike on the bands of the cannons which is common... However a solid UNC example.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's nice, but nothing special. They come nice, and this one is "average" nice IMO.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options

Don't pop my balloon. :s

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a particularly nice one. Enjoy!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@brg5658 said:
    It's nice, but nothing special. They come nice, and this one is "average" nice IMO.

This is a common variety, and I handled many of them when I was a dealer, but the vast majority of those pieces were in Choice EF condition with brown surfaces. Pieces that show very much of their original red surfaces with no rub are a scarcer than you might think.

• Options

As long as we're posting "our" Our Little Monitor pieces, here is mine muled with Lovett's Liberty Head "confederate cent" obverse, ex. Virgil Brand

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful specimens everyone! Love the strike, detail, and original red on these. The die marriages are cool too!

• Options

Hello Everyone, New to the forums1
    That is beautiful token!
    i was watching it for a while i believe it was on ebay @ acsb-rich.
    Great color! Nice pick up!

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

Coinbeast92 welcome to the forums. Cool that this was your first post. Don't be a stranger, contribute to many threads. I've found that those who contribute more happen to learn more :)

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2017 2:25PM

Thank you for your generous giveaway! :p

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it!! Very well done.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been looking for a nice one like that.

Good job!

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    Sorry to say t's a nice example however it looks like a super slider.

My thoughts as well when I took a look at the pics.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm lookin' for one of these, too. Now, if I can only find one as pretty as your example (that I can afford.)

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

its an old wooden ship

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful example! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a history buff sometimes tokens are more interesting and informative than coins. Certainly a good snapshot of the period.

• Options

@Smudge said:
    For a history buff sometimes tokens are more interesting and informative than coins. Certainly a good snapshot of the period.

Couldnt agree more. I've gotten so much more out of medals and tokens than I ever did from collecting US coins by date/mm. Both in satisfaction and financial gain.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Here is a monitor token that does not get a lot of press because it is not listed as a Civil War Token. This piece, which was issued at the time, lays out the battle at Hamton Roads in some detail.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file