Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Social experiment: Free Gold Coin(1/10th oz AGE) or Free Candy Bar? What would you pick?

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got to love the public as they react to the man in the street.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgUxF7gvYeE

Comments

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! That's really surprising. It's like out takes from the movie "Idiocracy"
    Thanks for a good laugh.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2017 6:33PM

I watch his video with a 100 ounce silver bar vs a Hershey bar. Halirious.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seen it. Classic. Here's another one that makes you wish you were a fast food drive through worker...

https://youtu.be/Ef0VG1WEP10

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

He couldn't sell a 10 oz silver bar for $10 (in front of a coin store). To be honest, if someone offered me something less than 10% of value, I would suspect stolen.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

A $100 Grad candy bar is worth a lot

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on how big the candy bar is...and what kind

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mmmm 100grand bar, sooooo delicious .

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:

Yeah but Payday is better :wink:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2017 1:14PM

@davewesen said:
    He couldn't sell a 10 oz silver bar for $10 (in front of a coin store). To be honest, if someone offered me something less than 10% of value, I would suspect stolen.

Right. When a stranger approaches you on the street, usually your first priority is to avoid becoming a crime victim!

So if the purpose of the "experiment" was to measure the public's knowledge about precious metal,
    it could have been framed in a different way:
    "Can you tell me which costs more, this silver bar or the candy bar?"
    "If you answer correctly, you can have your choice of the silver bar or candy bar."

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. This is nonsense. Any rational person would think he's a scammer or a criminal. These videos don't prove anything other than people are wary of strangers. You come at me unsolicited on the street with talk about gold or silver, I'll get a good description of you and report you to the police.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

What chance have us PM bugs got?

Headed for a cashless society I guess, if we're not already there.

I have seen this guy's videos before.

Totally clueless public.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@DrBuster said:

Yeah but Payday is better :wink:

Blasphemy!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously he did not make the offer to me.... :D ... I would have been walking tall with gold in my pocket. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like his videos. :D

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    Agree. This is nonsense. Any rational person would think he's a scammer or a criminal. These videos don't prove anything other than people are wary of strangers. You come at me unsolicited on the street with talk about gold or silver, I'll get a good description of you and report you to the police.

I have to agree to a point, but I have seen this guy do videos in front of his coin store I believe with a 10oz silver bar. People ask him if it's real, and he says that he would take them into the shop to prove it and they still refuse. Be wary of strangers, but given the option of a candy bar or a coin, I can't believe people are willing to take food from a stranger vs the other.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

i would be wary for sure. however, i am also sure i would take the gold coin and ask if i could have the candy bar too, once i figured out what he was doing.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's Encinitas CA, home to all of Jeff Spicoli's descendants. What d'ya expect?

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

All socially functioning individuals who ignore the old saw "If it's too good to be true, it is," do so to their sorrow. All this video shows is that people believe that piece of wisdom.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 20 year-old self would have maybe taken the Snickers. Now, it would depend on how hungry I was........ :)

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Candy from a stranger..........Hmmmm........I think my mother taught me at a young age not to do that.
    So I would take the coin. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that the guy in the video covers himself by using actors or friends.

(I grew up with Charles Van Doren)

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file