Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Selling: (2) Of The Rarest Gem FS Jefferson 5C In The Entire (1938-Date) Series! 1 SOLD NOW

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 20, 2017 11:04AM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

If anyone out there is building a World Class complete Mint State Jefferson Nickel collection, here are two coins we should talk about:

1. 1968-D PCGS-MS65FS!! This coin is a solid Gem, plus it has more than 5 2/3 steps (perhaps even 5 3/4)!! In over (30) years of grading, PCGS has only graded one other coin of this date in Full Step - an "MS64FS" example. I've seen both coins and, in my opinion, this Gem FS coin is in a "league of its own" sporting upwards of 5 3/4 steps!! Price on Request to serious inquiries. NOW SOLD - SOPHISTICATED BUYER PEGGED THE STEPS AT A SOLID 5 3/4 BY THE WAY.

2. 1970-D PCGS-MS65FS!! This coin is a solid Gem++ with strong steps as well! I believe this may be the only Gem Full Step of this date PCGS has ever graded. The "pop" currently shows -2- in this grade, but I recently resubmitted (unsuccessfully) the coin for upgrade as I personally grade the coin MS65+FS or MS66FS. I need to confirm whether PCGS removed the old serial number when they assigned a new serial number to the submitted coin. And, Coinfacts also shows an MS64FS example, but the sale of it is a link to a 1963-D Nickel at Heritage? So, I assume there may be an MS64FS out there but it did not sell at Heritage as Coinfacts shows. Can anyone confirm the existence of the lone MS64FS coin? Price on Request to serious inquiries. UPDATE: THIS COIN IS NOW THE POP 1 MS66FS. It will be available for sale later this month.

In between these (2) dates is, of course, the 1969-D nickel in PCGS-MS65FS that Stacks recently sold for around $30,000. These (3) coins round out a "trilogy" of mega-rare (near impossible) gem FS nickels in the Jefferson Nickel series (and there are a few other mega rare dates as well in the series as we all know).

Send me a PM or an email to discuss these coins.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the 1970D MS65FS, these 2 certnums exist in the pop reports

One that existed prior is certnum 60114346 (is this the coin you submitted)

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

ACR - I did get to see Brian's coin I recall when he sent it along to JHF to have a look at a long, long time ago.

Thanks dbldie55 for that information. I will check my submission records tomorrow to try to answer your question.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2017 9:56PM

Wondercoin

• Options

"One that existed prior is certnum 60114346 (is this the coin you submitted)"

Yes, I submitted that coin last month I believe for the first time in more than a decade since it was originally graded as an MS65FS. So, the old cert number was 60114346.

Thanks DD55!

Wondercoin

• Options

Yesterday, the pop reports had 2 1968-D in FS (both MS64FS), today there is only one in MS64FS and a MS65FS.

The one that "went away" had the cert 81416719. Was this another re-grade I wonder?

• Options

Dbldie55 ... Since you asked ... back on 12/11/16, the MS64FS sold at GC for $2,450 hammer (plus 10%). About 3 weeks ago, I was in NYC with my son Justin having dinner with a forum member when I got a call from another forum member asking if I would meet him for lunch the next day to "see a coin". To get a great pastrami sandwich, I would meet a forum member in NYC even if there was no coin to see!

Anyway, he showed me and Justin the 68-D nickel he had just purchased at auction. We both told him the coin was undergraded in our opinion and the full steps were wonderful. Since he was not personally going to FUN or Long Beach, he proposed a deal for us to help him get the coin upgraded that we agreed to. Yesterday, he got the news that the coin was now a finest known GEM 65FS and he asked us to offer it out here first to any serious registry set collectors before we likely send it off for him to a major auction later this year.

Wondercoin

• Options

Great story. If you would have waited a day, it would have already been in the pops, and the upgrade question would have never come up. I do wonder where the coin came from originally. I do remember Brian went through thousands of mint sets to get the first one.

• Options

Anyone doing 10 minutes of research could easily find the GC sale, see the scans and confirm it is the same coin. There is nothing to hide, especially when a coin is all there for the grade as this 68-D is.

In the same submissions, I just successfully crossed a very rare classic coin from an ANACS MS65 holder to a PCGS MS67 holder in "one clean swoop". The owner will happily tell the history of the coin to the ultimate buyer. Hopefully, the story ends with an MS67+. ;).

Wondercoin.

• Options
    rayovacrayovac Posts: 192 ✭✭

_ Can anyone confirm the existence of the lone MS64FS coin? __

I am assuming you are asking about the PCGS 1970D 64FS coin. I crossed an ANACS 65 5st coin to its current PCGS MS64FS holder (Cert # 60037130). This coin has never been sold in its PCGS holder.

CS 65-Present FS Jefferson nickel set at myurl
    RayOverby
  • Options

Thanks for the information!

Wondercoin

• Options
    MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I'm the forum member who met Mitch to show him the 68-d that I had just bought. I'd like to thank him publicly for doing such an excellent job with the coin. It's always a pleasure dealing with him.

• Options

Thank you Macge1. The coin did sell to a forum member who has given me permission to do a press release on the deal I put together. I will try to get around to it in the next several weeks. It is one of the most important pieces in the "modern" Jefferson nickel series in my opinion. In the old days, you would have qualified for a "you suck" award buying that coin for under $3,000!!

Oh, and if you refer to my original posting, I discuss the 1970-D nickel as well as I coin I personally graded MS65+FS or MS66FS (not 65FS). That coin is now the new pop 1 MS66FS as I also recently upgraded that coin for its owner. This is a coin well deserving of the MS66FS grade. It was originally graded a long, long time ago (a decade or more as I recall) and was a true superb gem FS nickel - the nicest I have ever encountered for this date. This will go back up for sale later in the month.

Wondercoin.