Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

AU 58 Full Band Mercury Dimes. No Designation from PCGS. Why Not?

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 27, 2019 8:11AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The above Merc is Full Band for sure but no designation which I do not understand.

Is the reason because PCGS graders look at the Obverse First and if its not Mint State that's it? Another reason might be that the submitter just put the code down on the Submission Form for a Non Full Band coin which I think might happen quite often.

With the Advent of the "Everymans Sets" in the Registry I would think Set Builders would certainly look for Full Band examples if PCGS would designate the coin as so.

What do you think and do you have other reasons why 58 Mercury Dime coins do not get the Full Band designation.

By the way I own the only 24S AU58 Mercury Dime graded AU58 FB by the Slab designation code but it was not described as so on the Slab certificate.

Thanks Much
Ken

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently had a 1942-S Mercury Dime in at PCGS... in my order history and on the cert verification it shows as AU58FB.

pcgs.com/cert/82160690

But the label just shows AU58... but the coin number used is for the FB coins.

Seems to be a similar policy of PCGS where they do not give the copper color designations of RB and RD to AU copper coins, even though it's clear that not all AU copper is BN. Sometimes they use the RB or RD coin number on those and they'll show as RB or RD in the cert verification and pop reports... even in low grades like F or VF you can sometimes see RB in the pop reports... but it will not show that on the label of course.

I'm guessing these are just mechanical errors using the wrong coin number and that is probably the case with these that show as AU58FB like the one I just had graded.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was always to understand that FB would only be used on the 3 keys 16-D, 21 and 21-D when the coin is not MS.

I don't see why it couldn't be used on all dates.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I was always to understand that FB would only be used on the 3 keys 16-D, 21 and 21-D when the coin is not MS.

I don't see why it couldn't be used on all dates.

Exactly, if the coin is Full Band it is Full Band. "Everyman" set builders are getting short changed in my opinion in their pursuit to build the best set possible.

Ken

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks like FB..... do not understand why it would not have the designation. Would like to hear the reasoning behind this.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Bringing this to the top for a possible explanation from PCGS.

Ken

• Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

PCGS adopted the P-L designation for all coins just recently. Perhaps they will eventually add strike designations to the appropriate series in the AU grades (just like NGC

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know whether it was due to a couple of slip-ups or a change in policy, but there are two AU58 FB 1916 examples showing on the pop report.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Mark the Pop Report shows 21 different dates that have AU58 coins with Full Bands. Actually 2 of the dates have AU55 Full Band coins. Many slip ups or is PCGS giving out the AU58 designation now? If PCGS is I have not seen or heard anything about it.

Ken

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the image, It looks as this coin may have a "bridge" over the 5th stick from the left.

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2019 10:45AM

...nods...

but I have been told that I am too tough on these things

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Moxie15 said:
    ...nods...

but I have been told that I am too tough on these things

There is no such thing as being too tough (personally) as long as you recognize the fact and can moderate your toughness "at-will" when needed so that you are in line with the majority opinion.

In this case, the bands either have a break or not. If one is there, then you'll need to decide if it matters to you AND if it matters to the "market graders."

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can a fully struck coin have wear and receive a full strike designation? Who am I to tell every little kid his mushy nickel is not full steps. Let them have their fun. Let them think they have great coins. Why not if it makes them happy. Even if you're an adult with a Registry set......they have their fun running up points with mushy coins. As long as it makes them happy.

Leon :)

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno, looks FB to me !!! :'(

Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file