Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I never stop appreciating that one can find such incredible rarities on eBay every once in awhile.

affordafford Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

It just amazes me what can be found and at the same time at pretty darn reasonable prices.
So lets show off your greatest eBay pickups whatever the price.

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2016 10:36PM

Bought and sold there for fifteen years. Nothing to report that was too good, and thankfully I haven't developed malnutrition yet.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    I bought three raw dollars and this was one. Spent $780 on all three and sold this one for $10,050 on GC
    bob:)
    photo IMG_1528.jpg

Are_you_kidding_me!!! :open_mouth:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, but I think I got one on this dollar. It's been two years come January since I bought it. Got it graded and back from PCGS on Valentines day! gotta LOVE it.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems I should frequent ebay more often..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2016 7:07AM

Just two of many (1876 Type II/II, 1901 DDR). Ebay is a treasure trove if you have the time and patience...

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AMRC said:
    I have lost track of the specific criteria, but doesn't this qualify for a "You Suck" award?

That, indeed, qualifies for a you suck award.

AUandAG; YOU SUCK!

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2016 6:24AM

Bought this summer in an $80 proof set, graded PR67 DCAM = $2,250 PCGS guide.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a coin but an original 4 function over the counter "hot rod" gauge system sold by Ford in 1966, with Vacuum, Volts, Oil, Temp in one pod. It was a $30 buy it now new in the box, and run about $1500 to $2000

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2016 8:11AM

@mbogoman said:
    ...Ebay is a treasure trove if you have the time and patience...

>

This...I just never seem to have enough time...or patience!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've scored on there many times. I love it (as a buyer)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is pretty rare:
    (Saxon Stag by Gorham)

Found on ebay cheap. :)

01.jpg 37.1K
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lot's of bargains, not enough time...... :o

Nice pickups! That scarface is amazing as is the envelope with signatures.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I had the time to search eBay like I used to, I can't even count how many terrific cherrypicks I've made there over the years. Most recently I bought a 1917 DDO Lincoln in a group of coins for well under $10 that graded XF details at our host. I also picked up a bold and rare German doubled die (1938-D 2 Pfennig) in a group of foreign errors that cost me less than a buck a coin. My best scores were two unattributed 1873 DDO Seated dimes, one of which is a condition census coin and resides in the Fortin collection.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find a few from time to time.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was a tough set up find. All the linkage was still intact and holes drilled and tapped and ready to go. Was a steal and something I could only have found on ebay.

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this unattributed Matte Proof for $240 in a cardboard 2x2. It graded PR64RB.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought slabbed lot of 4 Roosevelt Dimes cheap in auction. Retailed individually all at 2-3 times cost.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@afford said:

@seanq said:
    I wish I had the time to search eBay like I used to, I can't even count how many terrific cherrypicks I've made there over the years. Most recently I bought a 1917 DDO Lincoln in a group of coins for well under $10 that graded XF details at our host. I also picked up a bold and rare German doubled die (1938-D 2 Pfennig) in a group of foreign errors that cost me less than a buck a coin. My best scores were two unattributed 1873 DDO Seated dimes, one of which is a condition census coin and resides in the Fortin collection.

Sean Reynolds

Would you pics of the two dimes by chance, would love to view them.

The first one I found is actually pictured on Gerry Fortin's web site, here's the link. It is also True Viewed if you look at the Coin Facts page for the variety. The pictures on the auction were terrible, it was only because I recognized the die break at the top of the obverse that I took a chance on it. When it arrived, there were seven or eight labels with eBay auction numbers stacked on the flip from when it had failed to sell previously. My cost was $150, I sold it raw and never thought it would grade because of the deep hit on the reverse.

The second one I found maybe six months after the first, all I have available is the seller's original picture below. Pretty sure my cost on that one was something like $12. I sold it raw but properly attributed on eBay in a no reserve, $0.99 start auction and got around $450 for it. The winning bidder then had the coin conserved and it eventually straight graded at PCGS as a VF35. I looked around a bit but I couldn't find any True Views or auction appearances, there was another VF35 that sold at Heritage in 2010 but it isn't my old coin.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2016 11:06AM

@Overdate said:
    Not a coin, but I picked this up for **mid three figures **on eBay a few months ago. > >image

Hhhhmmm....oddly, both postmarks are exactly 9 AM in different formats, never mind the purple address

Or this current $635 listing -

[http://ebay.com/itm/1937-NW-Territory-Sc-795-blk-numerous-signatures-to-Wunder/111301674995

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked this up on ebay a few weeks ago.
    Lance.

• Options

@afford said:

Where would the die break on top of the reverse be?
    Great finds!

It's on the obverse, right at 12:00. I don't think every example has it, but a couple of the ones on Coin Facts show it well. I found the seller's picture of the Fortin coin, see below, the die break sticks out like a sore thumb in the image but the doubling on the shield doesn't at all:

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

almost three years ago to the day. lucky find.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2016 1:21PM

A dealer I know told me about an S mint $10 Indian that he pulled the $800 buy it now trigger on. He thought it was a 63, but graded 62 making it a $4000 or so coin. I let the seller know she was giving money away big time. She had inherited the parents' collection and was selling rare gold coins raw without knowing they would be worth a lot more certified and properly listed. She never thanked me, probably thought I was trying to trick her or something, but at least she stopped giving numismatics away.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many years ago, I frequented a local flea market. In the early days it was like a bunch of garage sales all in one place. Every week was different stuff. Then later came the stand selling imported luggage. It was there every week in the same spot. And then there was the cotton candy vendor and the seller of cheap Asian tools. Eventually the whole place stagnated. It was pretty much the same mass-produced junk every time. It became just a crappy shopping mall and I don't know why anybody would want to go there anymore.

The way eBay has been structured with low-cost listings (but higher fees upon actual sales), it has also stagnated significantly. I see the same coins listed over and over again. There are still good items to be found, but it takes a lot more looking and a lot more wading through stuff to find the goodies.

Still, I've found some over the last few years:

($65) 1881 Leadville Colorado mining stock certificate, signed by E.H. Gruber (of Clark Gruber & Co fame) as the owner of the shares, as the president of the company, and endorsed by him on the back. This was his personal stock certificate.

1860 Clark Gruber "Pyramid" copper die trial (exact same Eagle die as used on the regular 1860 $20 gold issue, except earlier die state). Most of these are corroded and/or damaged. This one was exceptionally nice. It was offered raw. I was the high bidder at $109 with 30 seconds left. But three different people bid more than $5,000 within the last seconds. But I won because I bid a couple hundred higher than they did ;) Later I had it graded, PCGS AU-58:

But that wasn't all. The same seller had another one, even nicer they claimed. They gave me one chance to make my best offer. So I did. And they accepted. So I had to pay up for this one, and send the money with no recourse if they didn't come through. But by that time I had received the first one and was confident in their word. After receiving it, I also had this one graded, PCGS-MS-63+:

($60) 1896-o Privately-Made (vintage counterfeit) Morgan silver dollar, VAM-4 micro-o, MS-64. At least three grade points higher than any other known VAM-listed privately-made Morgan, of any date.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:

@Overdate said:
    Not a coin, but I picked this up for **mid three figures ** on eBay a few months ago. > >image

Hhhhmmm....oddly, both postmarks are exactly 9 AM in different formats, never mind the purple address

Or this current $635 listing -

[http://ebay.com/itm/1937-NW-Territory-Sc-795-blk-numerous-signatures-to-Wunder/111301674995

Here's a baseball-related Wunder cover that sold for $37,000 in 2008! (The 9:00 am postmark is standard for First Day Covers.)

Link

"This cover was sent to each of these individuals by an ambitious autograph collector by the name of Paul Wunder of New Orleans, Louisiana on behalf of his daughter Doris to whom the cover is addressed."

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

First I want to say "YOU SICK" to mach1ne for that MPL Score!
    Pulled many a pick from the bay. This coin cost me $25 delivered with a BIN. It has not been sent in for grading yet, but I am confident it will be PR 67 and attributed FS-402 (re engraved die)

Ebay crappy pic posted by seller.

Unbeknownst to me it arrives in a Capitol Plastic Holder

Coin inside the holder is in great shape!!!

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've found a few I like a lot, at a good price too :) The 13 type 1 was a scan image and you could barely see it. But, I could see some yellow in his scan and I happen to LOVE yellow and I think it's the toughest natural color to find on nickel.
    The next 13 type 1 was also a scan and dark as can be. Because no one could see it, hardly nobody was bidding. I still have the sellers image and it makes me laugh every time I look at it as the 13 is absolutely AMAZING.

Here's the sellers image of this freaking monster...

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2016 2:39PM

@Overdate said:
    "This cover was sent to each of these individuals by an ambitious autograph collector by the name of Paul Wunder of New Orleans, Louisiana on behalf of his daughter Doris to whom the cover is addressed."

Regarding the repeating addressee, Paul Wunder must have used an exact, repetitive mechanical addressing machine to send these autographs to his daughter Doris '37 - '39 . Who did not practice this in that time period? Answer - Nobody.

Let alone the purple ink, lack of patina and wear.

Whatever.

• Options

@epcjimi1 said:
    Regarding the repeating addressee, Paul Wunder must have used an exact, repetitive mechanical addressing
    machine to send these autographs to his daughter Doris '37 - '39 .

There's just enough variation in the lettering that I think it was done by hand.

• Options
    edited December 2, 2016 3:19PM

@Overdate said:

@epcjimi1 said:
    Regarding the repeating addressee, Paul Wunder must have used an exact, repetitive mechanical addressing
    machine to send these autographs to his daughter Doris '37 - '39 .

There's just enough variation in the lettering that I think it was done by hand.

Here's five more. I don't get it. There is enough variation in the address to convince you? Dang.

Evidently, Doris was in Cooperstown, General Delivery, Jan. 29, 1940, for the fourth one, one day before the second one pictured, Jan 30, 1940, Lousiana, Doris gets around.

Pics two and three are ALMOST the same signatures, pc two has one more sig than pic three, yet matching sigs are identical. different stamps, too.

C'mon, bro, I call elmo

• Options

Matching signatures on pic two and pic three are close but not identical. Check out “V” and “B” in the first signature (and their distance from each other), the “F” in “Frame” in the second signature, and the last letter “g” in “Lettering” in the third.

A little background I discovered: The addressee, Doris Viola Wunder (1931-2004), was only 6 to 9 years old when the covers were created. The signatures on the covers were assembled by her father, some of them at the First Day stamp ceremonies and others by mailing them to the artists and dignitaries for their signatures. Nearly all the covers were created between 1938 and 1940.

Doris was married in 1954 and she and her husband later moved to Georgia. She most likely kept this and her other first day covers during her entire lifetime, as they did not come to light until after she died. The signatures on each of the covers are related to the particular stamp being issued, but I do not know of any others, aside from mine with Adolph Weinman’s signature, that have numismatic as well as philatelic significance.

• Options

I agree, matching sigs similar, not exact, on pics 2 + 3.

Amazing collection.

I've said my peace, I'll let it rest.

Matching signatures on pic two and pic three are close but not identical. Check out “V” and “B” in the first signature (and their distance from each other), the “F” in “Frame” in the second signature, and the last letter “g” in “Lettering” in the third.

A little background I discovered: The addressee, Doris Viola Wunder (1931-2004), was only 6 to 9 years old when the covers were created. The signatures on the covers were assembled by her father, some of them at the First Day stamp ceremonies and others by mailing them to the artists and dignitaries for their signatures. Nearly all the covers were created between 1938 and 1940.

Doris was married in 1954 and she and her husband later moved to Georgia. She most likely kept this and her other first day covers during her entire lifetime, as they did not come to light until after she died. The signatures on each of the covers are related to the particular stamp being issued, but I do not know of any others, aside from mine with Adolph Weinman’s signature, that have numismatic as well as philatelic significance.

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

@CA5MAN said:
    Just 1 example off the top, picked up 3 coins $50 total. Sold for $11,549.0 on Ebay.

Wow. What were they if I may ask?

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    wevwev Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

About ten years ago for $41. Master Mason jewel, Lodge 6, Dublin, 1765, second oldest known

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file