Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ever Haunted by What Might Have Been in Buying and Selling Coins?

Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to admit I am but one can't go back in the past and buy some item that would have advanced greatly or sold at the perfect in time. There is certainly material I wish I had bought and some wish had not in considering market or bullion peaks and valleys since say around 1990.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I certainly wish I had bought some that I passed up.... a couple a shows I was considering.. and when I went back, they were gone...Some in coin shops...Do not sell coins so that is not an issue...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe we can convince the producers of "Timeless" to let us borrow their time machine and go back to when coins were a good value for the money?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I have.
    Most are would-be purchases that I couldn't pull the trigger on.
    The worst one for me was an auction debacle in 2005 that still haunts me.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2016 8:44PM

"Ever Haunted by What Might Have Been in Buying and Selling Coins?"

i usually manage to overcome the gut-wrenching pain by recalling my good fortune, until,

SOMEONE REMINDS ME OF THE DEBACLES WITH THREADS LIKE THIS! ;)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2016 8:45PM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    "Ever Haunted by What Might Have Been in Buying and Selling Coins?"

i usually manage to overcome the gut-wrenching pain by recalling my good fortune, until,

SOMEONE REMINDS ME OF THE DEBACLES WITH THREADS LIKE THIS!

Funny but so true!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes it bothers me but one would have to be clairvoyant to anticipate market timing, trends.......all the time.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the time.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't carry any regrets about what I bought and sold as a dealer. If I made money that was enough.

My only regrets have been a couple pieces that I did not buy as a collector. Those opportunities will never come again, and for those items, "never" is quite accurate

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

We seldom remember paying too much, but we always remember the ones that "got away"

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2016 7:58PM

I remember all the great coins I sold way too soon because I got impatient. A lot of 5 and 10 baggers in that group too. Making 5-15% on a flip pales next to getting a triple or quadruple over 4-6 years. The one that comes readily to mind was my XF45 1867-s quarter that I sold for $190 around 1987...after having it for 11 years (paid $135). There was no downside in holding on to that. By 2008 it was up to around $4,000 and likely would have graded AU by then. I actually owned 9 examples of that date in F-XF at an average cost of $75 each. Targeting high potential coins was not hard. Holding on to them through the slow periods was the hard part.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:
    I remember all the great coins I sold way too soon because I got impatient. A lot of 5 and 10 baggers in that group too. Making 5-15% on a flip pales next to getting a triple or quadruple over 4-6 years.

>

i often wonder where the line should be drawn for hold vs sell. it would have been hard to know when values would catch up. in 1987, they were still only $200+/-, since 1867. 100 years. a pitiful increase.

agree the downside was low although $135 in 76 was of course more than it sounds.

depending how active one is and how well one does. it is probable you could have turned that money hundreds, thousands of times in 32 years+/-. 76-08. although you could have sold before then. a long hold for a modest gain.

imo, it may be worth it to hoard several dozen coins like that, maybe a few hundred, especially if one has money and/or a great career, perhaps a family. then by college years, you coulda floated several kids at college.

the 2006-2012 seems like it was a good time for that stuff. probably still is.

perhaps most importantly are the spikes in values over that time. i wonder if the 67-s and/or others hit some higher peaks than $4k, like a recent thread talked about. (peaks/valleys)

a lot of people that claim to invest don't monitor the markets as long and often as they should. gets kind of boring probably or just not being diligent/patient. and then as i've said before they may sell not when they should but when they want/need. only true investors can last over the long haul and continue to pull good profits with minimal losses (crashes aside, although we aren't discounted those completely). seems there are always indicators.

like a lot of things. one finds out just how strong one's resolve is over the long term. kinda vague i know.

i could say a lot more..

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thing that will haunt me forever is how many folks will never understand or care why some series are graded to lesser standards but yet collect the barb anyway.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I hadn't sold my ancient Roman coins. The US coins I can live wothout but still wish I had selectively kept the best of the type coins and 19th century rare dates.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file