Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Nearly SEVEN (revised) YEARS in the making - REGISTRY SET COMPLETE! - Pic heavy

bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

UPDATED! Scroll down a number of posts, and you'll see the update.

I joined the forum in January 2014, and almost immediately started a 1956 registry set.

I've always felt this set was the best looking 1950s set. As an autograph collector as well, I really like the design with the "mock" signatures on the cards. I also like that there is a fantastic group of Hall of Famers (really only Musial is missing), but I love that there aren't a bunch of high end HOF RCs in the set. That actually makes it easier to put the set together in my opinion, because you don't necessarily have to drop $5-10k for a single card - at least not in the 6/7 grade range. A final thing I like about this set is that there aren't any missing "numbers" or name variations as in many of the other early 1950s sets. Nothing is really short-printed either, but there are certainly some cards that tougher in higher grades.

The team card variations were an interesting part of the set, and after collecting these for a few years I have to say I probably still prefer the centered no date cards. I have thought about trying to put all the team variations together in a "mini-master" type of set. I also considered doing the low numbers in all grey backs, as the "hi numbers" in white backs are virtually impossible. I'm not even sure someone could actually do that anymore, maybe it's possible but I have no appetite to even try considering I've ever only owned 4 white backs numbered above 100.

It took me until May 2015 to complete my set originally, overall GPA at that time was right around 6.5 and my big stars were half 6s and half 7s. Mantle was a 6 back then. However, I decided I really wanted uniformity of grade in my set so when the opportunity presented itself to sell 75% of the 6s I had, I went for it and broke the set and started upgrading to all 7s.

Well, I finally picked up the last four cards I needed this week and they arrived this morning. Great start to my weekend! I'm really happy to have finished this off - AGAIN.

Now I can focus on my ALL 8 SET!

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Comments

• psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Absolutely love your set! Not my choice for a PSA set because I don't like the backs. 1963 is my fave. Your Jackie Robinson is awesome! This set is changing my mind and has moved up in my 50's list.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on finishing a registry set. No easy task given all the distractions that get in the way when putting a set together. Any other sets you are working on?

• ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2016 3:19PM

@bounce said:
    .....I love that there aren't HOF RCs in the set.....

Somewhere Luis Aparicio is weeping.

• bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

@JBrules said:
    Congrats on finishing a registry set. No easy task given all the distractions that get in the way when putting a set together. Any other sets you are working on?

Only other "official" registry set I'm on right now is a 1956 set in all PSA 8. Decided I needed like a "decade project", so I pick away at it when I can find affordable cards. I don't have Mantle in an 8 yet, so I'm not entirely committed yet.

I started fully graded 1954 and 1955 sets, but they aren't uniform in grade. I've got most of the big rookies from each in PSA 4-6 range, but I don't "love" those sets as much. I may get focused on one of them, just not sure.

I also have a 1975 Topps set going, all 8s so far. Kind of thought I would do the commons in 8s and HOFers in 9s. I've discovered just how CRAZY a fully graded set of 660 cards is. This is another one I just pick away at from time to time when I can find cheap commons.

@ZTarg said:

@bounce said:
    .....I love that there aren't HOF RCs in the set.....

Somewhere Luis Aparicio is weeping.

You're right actually, I should have said that better. Revised to add "a bunch of high end HOF RCs..."

Aparicio is actually one of THE toughest centered cards in this set, really nice ones are very hard to come by in really any grade

• MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on completing the set. Even at 342 cards, it is a daunting task. I'm almost at 50% and have been working on it for close to six years. I do agree with you on the team cards, as I seem to like the uniformity with choosing to do the team cards all without dates. Good luck with the 8 set!

Jeremy

• mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Three years? You flew through this set. It took me 11 years to complete my registry set. Congratulations on completion and good luck with your PSA 8 set.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

Beautiful set! One of the great sets of all time for sure. Looks great in 7!

"Molon Labe"

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats
    Love the set myself and a great selection of players.
    The horizontal design is awesome.

Are you doing WB and GB variations?

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭

Congrats!

Beautiful cards

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bounce - awesome job on the set and what an accomplishment. Cannot imagine the time and effort it took to complete this. Kudos!

KC

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Great looking set. Congratulations.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

@jay0791 said:
    Are you doing WB and GB variations?

I've thought about it. In my experience collecting this set, not many people care that much about the back type and I think generally the prices reflect no significant difference. The only time I've really seen it matter much is on the HOFers, and even then it's usually on 8s and higher.

I suspect the low numbers could be done pretty easily in all gray back, but I just never cared that much. I guess if I really wanted uniformity, I'd do the low numbers in gray backs.

Trying to do the whole set in white backs I would think would be very very difficult. High number white backs are extremely tough.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations for a tremendous accomplishment. I think the 1956 set is beautiful especially in near mint or better condition.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it! I have always liked the horizontal images of the 55, 56 and 60 set.
    Quite an accomplishment in all 7. Congrats!!

• 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

Very nice set and congratulations on completing this monster. I actually this this is my second favorite 1950's Topps sets behind the 1953. You are young enough to do them all in high grade like this. :wink:

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on completing a very nice set. How close are you on the PSA 8 set? I regret selling my PSA 7 Mantle years ago.
    James

• 59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

Great looking set and a job well done! Congratulations.

• SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

Spectacular! Your Clemente is exceptional.

@jfkheat said:
    How close are you on the PSA 8 set?
    James

I think I'm around 2/3rds of the way, but I still need several of the HOFers including Mantle and most of the "allegedly" low pop commons. Speaking of low pop commons, that's one thing I didn't mention before - Dale Mitchell is one of the WORST "urban legends" of collecting this set. There are numerous cards with lower pops, but for whatever reason his card is always crazy expensive comparatively.

@1954 said:
    I actually this this is my second favorite 1950's Topps sets behind the 1953. You are young enough to do them all in high grade like this. :wink:

I wish I was that young! LOL. I did look into 1953 at one point and actually started accumulating a few higher end commons, probably 30 or so, but ultimately decided against continuing due to lack of player selection. Without Williams, Snider, Aaron, Clemente, etc. I just didn't quite feel like it was representative enough of that era. I do like the "painting" portrait look, and there is the Paige, but ultimately decided it was well down my list of 1950s sets. The color on the borders certainly presents a nice challenge, along with some of the short printed cards.

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a beautiful set! All the cards together adds to its beauty. I only own one card from this set...a Mantle 8.5.

mint_only_pls
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on putting together and completing an iconic set.

Thanks for sharing.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭

1953 I'd do the Bowman Color- you'll fall in love with it-- promise B)

• Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

My favorite set! Very nice....congrats!

• Congrats!!!!!!
    This set in PSA 7 is doable financially. You'll be practically tripling that budget for all 8's.
    If you sell any of those HOF's, let me know.

Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• Astonishing

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job on one of my favorite sets. It looks like you sought out high end 7s with good centering. The Mantle is really nice. I'm also working on the set in all 8. I have about a dozen cards to go including a few of the big ones. Good luck with your PSA 8 set and 1975 set.

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Huge Congratulations!! I am disappointed you won't be stalking me at this year's National. Hope to catch up in Chicago!

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a major accomplishment to say the least. Congrats on sticking with it to completion. Look forward to seeing you post some of the favorites.

Here you go folks

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, quite the accomplishment! Good luck on your 65 set!

• MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Great accomplishment and throughout your journey you modified it, but always stayed true to the 1956 set. I will be 11 years working on the set in PSA7 this December and I currently sit at 75%. I really enjoyed reading about your thought process in accumulating your set. Also, the 65 set isn't too shabby either!

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Nice. Like both of those years as well.

That 56 set was my favorite since I was a kid and saw that Jackie in the Baseball Card Flipping, Trading & Bubblegum book. I have never actually checked to see if I have a full set, but between all of my singles and the several 100s that I have signed, I have to be pretty close, if not complete. They are all raw, unless I have a couple autographed cards that were signed.

Someday, maybe I'll checklist my singles and see where I stand, but I know I have all the big names. Completing it would not be that tough. Not much of a set guy though.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great cards and awesome thread! Your passion certainly shines through...

...the Mantle’s?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Killer... 56 set is a beauty !