Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Society Price Guide/ Opinion?

Any Opinions on price guide?

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're going to have to elaborate on what you man by "Coin Society Price Guide"
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to help . . . but not sure what you are referring to? Do you mean the Price Guide offered here by our hosts?

Drunner

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe OP is referring to this price guide which follows ebay completed sales. I look at it from time to time, but not enough data in most categories to rely on it. I still search ebay/heritage/coinfacts and greysheet to better get idea of pricing.

CoinSociety Guide

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see. I took a quick peek at Morgan dollars. With enough clicks, you can get to the raw data that went into the guide. Until you get to that data, however, it doesn't seem like a very good price guide, as many entries in the price guide seem polluted by outliers.

• Options
    newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone great feedback

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

It attempts to be what the Teletrade Price Guide was decades ago. Not something I would use.

On US Coins I use Greysheet / Bluesheet to get a wholesale feel, Coin Facts to gauge auction history and CW / TPG MV to get a good retail shapshot plus dealer site data like L&C coins. Ultimately for sell the coin will be at retail possibly BIN / Make Offer or simply at cost plus. I also have a spreadsheet I keep of watched items realized to get an overall percentage of what Bay Auctions realize vs TPG or CW MV to get an average, low, high. At present this average has consistently held around 71%. Bobcat (not his real name) in the coin club says his is around that number too and his offers to walkup sellers at shows are around 50%- 60% MV so to allow him ample room for profit if flipping on the Bay and realizing 70-75% MV.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Great comment Cougar!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file