Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What is the market like for conder tokens?

Hot, medium, cold, depends?

In my quest to simplify my numismatic life (which seems to be backfiring right and left I might add) I'm looking for things to pare down on.

I've always claimed I don't collect conders--but somehow have amassed about 25 or so decent ones in slabs. I even own a paper Dalton & Hamer. BUT it has never been more than an opportunity to buy random things with interesting themes. No studying, no rhyme or reason etc. In other words, the work of a pure dilettante, and not a very good one at that.

Now that I am working on a camera/lighting set up, perhaps I can take some good photos and sell the actual tokens. If the market is reasonable then I can use the funds for more 'serious' pursuits (like paying for the camera set up perhaps). On the other hand, if the market is cold, then I'll keep them until I either do more with them or selling either becomes more fortuitous or more necessary.

It's not that I WANT to sell them, it just seems like I SHOULD sell them as I really do nothing with them.

Comments

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They went "up, up, up" for about 5-7 years; however, I'd say they have cooled or at least plateaued for the last couple years. The really nice material still goes for good money. It really depends. The market has been flooded with pieces from several large sales, particularly the Baldwin Basement sales the past 2-3 years. A big driver for Conder prices is the subject matter. Some people love the Spence satirical pieces, and the "hanging man" tokens (of all types it seems) are almost absurdly priced -- especially given than many aren't even remotely rare. That particular insanity is driven it seems by almost solely USA collectors, maybe a bit of a morbid fascination...never quite understood that one. My point being, that different people like different things -- tokens with buildings and text only are the least desirable. Pid*****s, Spence, and Hanging Man tokens seem to be among the most desirable topics.

The fact that PCGS now grades Conders for the past 2-3 years seems to have also sparked some increased interest in the tokens from people who can't seem to collect anything unless it comes in a special kind of plastic slab. image

Feel free to PM me if you have specific tokens in mind -- I'd be happy to give you more detailed assessments of specific pieces when I can.

Best,
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I made the mistake of looking at Gary Groll's site. I hadn't looked at it in ages, and his upgrade is really nice. Now there are three I want to buy. This plan is not working. Must. Resist.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are still in a selling mood and Gary is not interested in your collection,
    maybe Coin Rarities Online or the Penny Lady (Charmy Harker) might be
    of some help.
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will just say that Gary Groll's asking (sell) prices are not indicative of any semblance of the reality of what he'd offer you (buy prices). He is very aggressive in his pricing structure, and I'd not buy much from him without seeing it in hand. He wrote the descriptions for the Baldwin's Basement offerings and seems to often gloss right over things like cleanings, corrosion spots, and other problems. That may be ok for some, but not many.

As for CRO, you won't know unless you ask, but John seems to occasionally stock the "popular to the masses" token designs, like those I mentioned above. I see lots of hanging men, anti slavery, Spence, and other curious designs (Wildman, Alligator, etc). I wouldn't call him an expert in Conders. I don't mean that as a jab -- John is the best around to deal with -- but he rarely has more than 2 maybe 3 Conders in inventory. If you have something that fits his niche market and want to sell, he *will* offer you a fair price. Again, just depends on what you have.
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just admiring the pictures...not really buying, but it made me not want to sell as I started drooling over a few.

I doubt I have CRO material...they do seem to have a type and mine aren't it. Definitely not a slam there, it's a website I look at periodically with interest, but have never quite found something that fits what I collect. Love looking there though. Great stuff.

My conders are mostly animal related (but none of the never-to-be-spelled-out Pid*****) either real or mythological. A few ship/Navy/vessel types too. None of the satires or politicals.

I forgot about Charmy/Penny Lady...but if IIRC (from a very brief interaction at a show) she is purely a collector of these, not a dealer.

Oh well, like many things it will likely end up with me holding steady in a puddle of intertia.

Conders are really cool...maybe hang on another 5 years to see which way to jump. Probably silly to even bring up the idea of selling image.

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Slabbed Conder tokens generally do well on eBay, especially if not wildly overpriced. Raw circulated conder's are dead on eBay. If you decide to list them on eBay I would suggest using someone such as jkcoins to list them, well worth the expense!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm