Options

Exraordinary Jubilee Year of Mercy

imageimage
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Interesting appropriation of a Rembrandt painting for the subject. Quite a contrast between the textures on the figures and the simplicity (almost clip art like) in the rendering of Francis's coat of arms.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the small marks on the lower part of the obverse, the dark oval and Lego piece thingy? Also, does it say 'after Rembrandt' somehow?

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stork

What are the small marks on the lower part of the obverse, the dark oval and Lego piece thingy? Also, does it say 'after Rembrandt' somehow?

Mint mark to the left, purity mark to the right (986). Most recent Vatican officials carry one or both of these. There is a reference to Rembrandt in teeny tiny type below the purity mark.

I think this is the third medal, including the annuale, which references the extraordinary holy year. Also, interesting that none of the medals this year, including the annuale that was issued at the end of June and the Mother Teresa medal carry the pope's portrait, just his arms. A real departure from tradition. Also Joe's comment about clip art is on the mark I think. The designs of the medals of the current pope are fairly simple/stylized at best and take some getting used to.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: STLNATS
    Also, interesting that none of the medals this year, including the annuale that was issued at the end of June and the Mother Teresa medal carry the pope's portrait, just his arms.

I admittedly haven't followed the recent Vatican issues, but the consistent lack of portraiture is quite disappointing to hear about.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes a medal can be too simple.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD